Some of our fan base talking like we are the Man Utd of the national league

24 minutes ago, doctor evil said:

I absolutely agree. As we have proven so far this season, we don't have a god given right to turn up and steamroll the opposition. But as fans, our expectations are going to be high. It's only natural that when a Solihull or wealdstone turn up at BP, we are going to expect to win, even when we know we're crap. Maybe our expectations need to be dampened perhaps, but I also think the club need to be aware that we can't sleepwalk through this season just hoping to wake up next year with a plan to progress. There's a lot of people who have come back to give the new owners some backing and to watch the clubs new dawn if you like. If they don't see that new dawn they won't stick around season after season. We have an opportunity now to build something successful, we should be careful not to throw away a headstart.....

I think that is a very measured comment. I said last week that the new ownership could really do with Sheridan starting well, because if he doesn't it throws up what is a very awkward dilemma for them. 

At my club it was a little bit different, but Sadler's first appointment was Grayson, and I'm sure the fact that he had done well at the club previously was a factor in the decision. Unfortunately the Grayson of 2019 was not the guy of 2009.  Our owner subsequently chose business over sentiment, but I bet it cost him some sleepless nights before Grayson was sacked. 

Changing tack a bit, it isn't just about Sheridan, and it isn't even about what is happening on the field, is it? I've listened to loads of the BPAS Podcasts, and I was very struck by a point Andy made over and over - about the lack of corporate capacity at the club.  It's also about corporate memory and intelligence though, and I would worry if I were you that the former is at a premium and the latter not really suited to the level you now find yourself at.  There is no point in having good networks in the EFL if none  of the players it throws up want to play for you.

I guess I'm basically saying I don't think you have a head start, although you do have a lot of good will. So to that extent a lot of what you said in your last post is bang on the money. To be honest, I would take a finishing place of 20th and see it as a success at the moment. Easy for me to say of course, as I have no emotional attachment. But there you are.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/4/2022 at 7:14 PM, Littlemoor Lad said:

Absolutely,

Bigger crowds in non league than some of league one and most of two.

Yeah, I watched the EFL show on Sunday, some of the crowds were sparse at best and not to mention the questionable football. :D 

5 minutes ago, Clifford said:

I do hope all those aroused by our new found crowds aren't too disappointed when they're a few thousand down next season. 

The constant references to our crowds on here and social media are a little embarrassing. 

Don't worry they'll no doubt go down but you'll all be back when we finally have the season we are waiting for.

4 minutes ago, Clifford said:

All? Debatable at this level.

All and more, as soon as we start winning the stadium will fill out even more, why do you think the crowds are back now and there is so much  discontent/disappointment? I'd say it's because many of those who returned just want to see some success and it hasn't happened as of yet, we start winning the crowds are there week in week out.

It's up to the Rothwell's to come up with a plan to turn around our fortunes.

Just now, yarddog73 said:

All and more, as soon as we start winning the stadium will fill out even more, why do you think the crowds are back now and there is so much  discontent/disappointment? I'd say it's because many of those who returned just want to see some success and it hasn't happened as of yet, we start winning the crowds are there week in week out.

It's up to the Rothwell's to come up with a plan to turn around our fortunes.

I think they are back to back Frank and his gesture. That won't last with performances like Saturday. Lots of floating fans are going currently. Good vibes and smooth carparks are nice but as you say only winning football entices people in. If it's 3 or 4 years away we won't get these crowds back.

28 minutes ago, Clifford said:

I think they are back to back Frank and his gesture. That won't last with performances like Saturday. Lots of floating fans are going currently. Good vibes and smooth carparks are nice but as you say only winning football entices people in. If it's 3 or 4 years away we won't get these crowds back.

So we have had 5 years at least of utter dross under the worst ownership in our history.

What happened when we got new local owners- the crowds came back. Rather contradicts your final sentence.

20 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

So we have had 5 years at least of utter dross under the worst ownership in our history.

What happened when we got new local owners- the crowds came back. Rather contradicts your final sentence.

Read whole posts if you have the capacity. We / they have come back to support a new era and owner. That good will won't last though. To maintain the fanbase it'll need success on the pitch, quickly. 

18 minutes ago, Clifford said:

Read whole posts if you have the capacity. We / they have come back to support a new era and owner. That good will won't last though. To maintain the fanbase it'll need success on the pitch, quickly. 

Don't try to belittle posters with your responses, it was a perfectly good reply to your post. 

1 hour ago, disjointed said:

Don't try to belittle posters with your responses, it was a perfectly good reply to your post. 

They are both right. Crowds have returned to support a new era with the club back in the hands of a local businessman and the attendance will drop if the results on the pitch do not pick up. It's not the results alone, it's the manner of the team's performance which is also driving the supporters to despair. The whole club is hopefully undergoing restructure and the match-day experience needs to be  more than just the game itself, for every supporter, being extended beyond the match days and into the community.

Rothwell is obviously a very astute businessman, I'm sure there has already been a good many brainstorming sessions on the strategy of moving the club forward and fans will most likely be patient on that side of things. I don't think this will apply to the team's performance and results.

13 minutes ago, Wardie said:

It's not the results alone, it's the manner of the team's performance which is also driving the supporters to despair. The whole club is hopefully undergoing restructure and the match-day experience needs to be  more than just the game itself,

The team performance and the match day experience - getting both right is vital to Latics keeping the crowds at a decent level for the National league. 

Just now, TheBigDog said:

The team performance and the match day experience - getting both right is vital to Latics keeping the crowds at a decent level for the National league. 

Pot holes, prayer rooms, fans bars. None of those will keep fans, they may please them, but they won't keep people paying out their little spare cash if it's to see a shite side with no talent.

2 hours ago, disjointed said:

Don't tell me what I can or can't do please. He picked a sentence from a paragraph trying to look a smart arse. Nothing wrong with responding 

11 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

The person I go to games with has long since bemoaned the shallowness of the match day experience, basically saying it's a lot of money for effectively one and a half hours of entertainment...and it's not even been that for a long time. It can't be a full day's experience although event days at regular intervals could be on their list of ideas. It's time to concentrate on the family aspect of the club and what they can bring to the children in the borough which will keep them on side, hopefully.

I'm spouting off without knowing much.
The Rothwell's, along with the Royle's, will no doubt grab it by the scruff of the neck.

Two Asian chaps with a child were sat behind me Saturday at the match. As the match went on they began talking about going to watch Man U and then that ended with we should go and watch Man U reserves. They didn’t know the Oldham Players by name so they were obviously new to it. By the way they were taking, they won’t be back. We need to be seeing a quality product to keep newcomers. Need to invest in the squad.

Archived