Some of our fan base talking like we are the Man Utd of the national league

I must admit that over the years Ive sat in BP, been in company with fans elsewhere, work, pubs etc and I include some family members here but I've always thought some of our fans live on another planet by reactions I've seen or heard and conversations I've had or this last 20 plus years read on social media.

We have been in decline since the premier league and so has the town, I am always shocked when I visit Oldham these days and its really sad because I loved the place growing up in the 70s & 80s, and latics was my life.

As a club we have done nothing since 1994 apart from the odd cup run, giant killing and a couple of play off failures.

Our crowds dwindled and the club turned into a nothing club, just breathing and waiting for the final breath or so it felt this last four or five years.

We have seen much smaller clubs overtake us and enjoy good times, we have also seen clubs drop out of the football league and struggle, some fought their way back some haven't and some went bust.

We were owned by the most toxic and useless group of people imaginable and we were not the Oldham Athletic I grew up watching and loving.

Along comes a local family with great respect, no Jack Walker in terms of wealth but greater in terms of buisiness success, character, contacts and love of our town.

This is what we all ( 99%) wanted, we had our club back and as one entity. Not only that we have the Royles on board and some very very experienced and connected people involved. We were also told that furthe investment would be sought at a later date.

We were asked to support the club and give time to turn this club around.

But i am reading too much of the very opposite from some fans on here, twitter and other platforms.

Who do we think we are, all this talk of we should be beating these teams deemed non league, we are Oldham etc etc its embarresing to read and hear, in fact its cringy.

Immature, childish, impatient, unrealistic, arrogant, instant success, big club, best fans.

Sounds like fans of another club if you ask me.

Show some respect to the Rothwells, Sheridan, the Royles and the others involved in rescuing this club, they didn't have to.

There are opinions and there are just crazy expectations, its the 31st August.

We say we have the best fans, well act like it. 

If anyone's read all his then dont take offence, its well and truly aimed at a minority of our fans who are taking the shine off our new era.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Isn't "fanbase" how clubs with more than a few thousand supporters, with fans all around the world, refer to existing and potential fans?

Clubs like Man United?

Ive never thought of it like that, surely we all have a fanbase no matter how big or small.

• maximus1267 changed the title to Some of our fan base talking like we are the Man Utd of the national league
1 hour ago, maximus1267 said:

I must admit that over the years Ive sat in BP, been in company with fans elsewhere, work, pubs etc and I include some family members here but I've always thought some of our fans live on another planet by reactions I've seen or heard and conversations I've had or this last 20 plus years read on social media.

We have been in decline since the premier league and so has the town, I am always shocked when I visit Oldham these days and its really sad because I loved the place growing up in the 70s & 80s, and latics was my life.

As a club we have done nothing since 1994 apart from the odd cup run, giant killing and a couple of play off failures.

Our crowds dwindled and the club turned into a nothing club, just breathing and waiting for the final breath or so it felt this last four or five years.

We have seen much smaller clubs overtake us and enjoy good times, we have also seen clubs drop out of the football league and struggle, some fought their way back some haven't and some went bust.

We were owned by the most toxic and useless group of people imaginable and we were not the Oldham Athletic I grew up watching and loving.

Along comes a local family with great respect, no Jack Walker in terms of wealth but greater in terms of buisiness success, character, contacts and love of our town.

This is what we all ( 99%) wanted, we had our club back and as one entity. Not only that we have the Royles on board and some very very experienced and connected people involved. We were also told that furthe investment would be sought at a later date.

We were asked to support the club and give time to turn this club around.

But i am reading too much of the very opposite from some fans on here, twitter and other platforms.

Who do we think we are, all this talk of we should be beating these teams deemed non league, we are Oldham etc etc its embarresing to read and hear, in fact its cringy.

Immature, childish, impatient, unrealistic, arrogant, instant success, big club, best fans.

Sounds like fans of another club if you ask me.

Show some respect to the Rothwells, Sheridan, the Royles and the others involved in rescuing this club, they didn't have to.

There are opinions and there are just crazy expectations, its the 31st August.

We say we have the best fans, well act like it. 

If anyone's read all his then dont take offence, its well and truly aimed at a minority of our fans who are taking the shine off our new era.

Some of us have raised this so, in a way, you are repeating/reinforcing what has already been said - nothing wrong in that. Also - It’s a very small minority. 

18 minutes ago, peanuts2 said:

I would say we sound more like citeah fans atm manure fans sound more like us over the last four years with there tinpot protest agianst the glazers 

Well whichever you think we sound like the fact is, we are blowing a trumpet with no air.

18 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

Well whichever you think we sound like the fact is, we are blowing a trumpet with no air.

Do I take it that you are not impressed with the way our fans have turned out in numbers and supported the team in volume home and away this season? 

Some fans might be arrogantly expecting the team to be conquering all before them, however the quality of the support surely is undeniable. 

To quote the co-commentator on Radio York: "That is proper away support'. 

The whole Oldham are massive thing and HMS piss the league on twitter is said somewhat in irony and somewhat self deprecating by alot of our fans. It's a small minority who actually believe it.

That said for a number of years I've found the whole how amazing our away support is thing a little bit self congratulatory.

It's like believing we deserve a trophy because we have people who like to spend the weekend getting out of Oldham going on the piss in another town. Let's face it that's a big part of why our away followings are what they are and it's also the reason why they can be alot of fun. Often the football can ruin it though.

Compering us to Man ure fans? wash your mouth out 😲

Folk will always remember the good times and rightly so, funny but I was actually satisfied to see us at the right end of the table for once, be it in the National league.

As long as we're fighting to get back up to our rightful place for a club this size and player's leave everything on the pitch, I don't think you'd hear very much moaning on here.

Went down with a whimper from league's 1 & 2 but no more excuses or hiding, time to show what this club is all about and that starts with promotion.

It's OK to think it's a disgrace that we're in this league.

That's nothing against the teams who are in the league with us and it isn't being disrespectful to the achievements of Morcambe, Harrogate and Accrington, etc.

We don't have the right to beat anyone in this league - the opinion we do mainly comes from outside our circle.

Historically, our natural place is in the league and the fact we are where we are is the fault of the previous owners.

The new board have made an impressive start and are putting the infrastructure in place to get us back to the football league. 

We're not in a position where we expect to beat anyone yet, but within a few years we should be aiming to get to a position where we do.  That's not arrogance, that's just having justifiable aspirations..

I went to my first game in 1951 and since then have supported my club through thick and thin ( mostly thin, and getting thinner) : the highs, the very highs, the lows, the relegations etc, etc. I have experienced joy, sadness, pain, disbelief and just about every emotion in between. 

But for some strange reason, l carry on supporting my beloved club, despite what for me was the absolute lowest of my whole supporting life  -  defeat at BP to Wealdstone. Surely we have to be better than that please tell me we are better than that. 

41 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

Do I take it that you are not impressed with the way our fans have turned out in numbers and supported the team in volume home and away this season? 

Some fans might be arrogantly expecting the team to be conquering all before them, however the quality of the support surely is undeniable. 

To quote the co-commentator on Radio York: "That is proper away support'. 

Our support on the whole is great, a minority for me are acting like entitled children expecting everything now and beating all these non league teams.

I think if you read my final paragraph i've already addressed who my post is aimed at.

34 minutes ago, doctor evil said:

Are we wrong to believe we are a big club in this division?

No we are a big club in this division, were not the biggest or richest in history because that would go to Notts.

But being a bigger club doesnt mean were the best, not yet anyway after a few weeks of new ownership.

That may come soon hopefully.

Well, it doesn't bother me. Far too much going on in life/the world to be in the least bit bothered by fans who, for the most part, have tongues firmly in cheek. Irony has always been part of the fans culture.

Besides, we are the biggest small club in the world  - fact, accepted by everyone.

10 minutes ago, parigby said:

But for some strange reason, l carry on supporting my beloved club, despite what for me was the absolute lowest of my whole supporting life  -  defeat at BP to Wealdstone. Surely we have to be better than that please tell me we are better than that. 

At the moment no we are not, but we are going to be we are just bottoming out this season before rising again. The upward trajectory will begin this season.

13 minutes ago, parigby said:

I went to my first game in 1951 and since then have supported my club through thick and thin ( mostly thin, and getting thinner) : the highs, the very highs, the lows, the relegations etc, etc. I have experienced joy, sadness, pain, disbelief and just about every emotion in between. 

Im confident we will be but we have to give those behind the scenes the support and patience they deserve.

2 hours ago, peanuts2 said:

I would say we sound more like citeah fans atm manure fans sound more like us over the last four years with there tinpot protest agianst the glazers 

I wouldn't call setting up a new club tinpot. In terms of expectations they had it nearly as bad as we have. 

1 hour ago, parigby said:

We ARE better than that and high time some of them proved it

On 8/31/2022 at 5:52 PM, doctor evil said:

Are we wrong to believe we are a big club in this division?

I think that is part of the problem, isn't it?  At level 5, you have to earn whatever you get. 

Solihull aren't a "big" club. But they have a plan, manage resources well, are happy to improve incrementally if that is what it takes and set their stall out accordingly. They are competent. Your club is having to learn all over again how to match them and all the other clubs who are like them. Your history counts for nothing, unfortunately.

14 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

I think that is part of the problem, isn't it?  At level 5, you have to earn whatever you get. 

Solihull aren't a "big" club. But they have a plan, manage resources well, are happy to improve incrementally if that is what it takes and set their stall out accordingly. They are competent. Your club is having to learn all over again how to match them and all the other clubs who are like them. Your history counts for nothing, unfortunately.

Anybody believing Latics are a "big club" are sorely deluded.
Anybody believing the manager is not the one to adapt the club to this league and progress are not deluded.

8 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Anybody believing Latics are a "big club" are sorely deluded.
Anybody believing the manager is not the one to adapt the club to this league and progress are not deluded.

I believe we are a ‘big club’ in this league. We get the third or fourth highest home attendances and our history makes us a big club in comparison to the vast majority of the other clubs in the league. That doesn’t make me deluded it’s what I believe.

However, I am not deluded enough to believe that that alone gives us the right to win games.  That can only happen with decent players and a decent manager. At the moment we have neither.

22 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

I absolutely agree. As we have proven so far this season, we don't have a god given right to turn up and steamroll the opposition. But as fans, our expectations are going to be high. It's only natural that when a Solihull or wealdstone turn up at BP, we are going to expect to win, even when we know we're crap. Maybe our expectations need to be dampened perhaps, but I also think the club need to be aware that we can't sleepwalk through this season just hoping to wake up next year with a plan to progress. There's a lot of people who have come back to give the new owners some backing and to watch the clubs new dawn if you like. If they don't see that new dawn they won't stick around season after season. We have an opportunity now to build something successful, we should be careful not to throw away a headstart.....

Archived