Beyond Shez

24 minutes ago, Wardie said:

People underestimate the effect of something like this. I have seen situations at work where one person has dampened the spirit and enthusiasm of the whole group. If the person you look to for guidance and support appears disinterested, then the canker spreads. The more I read about this, the more I wish he would hold up his arms, admit it is beyond him and step aside. Nobody is going to begrudge him that option or resent him for it.

I can't get my head past his post-match interview.
A defeated, clueless man. 

I dont think he is clueless he just hasnt skills to pass on his experiance to modern footballers  

I think their is something fundamentally wrong about what we expect and how much emphasis we put on the First team manager.

The First Team Manager and we should have one as opposed to a head coach should be able to delegate a good chunk of the recruitment process should be handed over to a Head of recruitment who's job it is to go and find players who we can afford and who are better than what we have. Allowing the manager to focus on coaching/managing the team.

Now obviously I don't want a Mo Lemsagam type of figure at the club and I can understand that's why people think for that reason the Manager should do the lot. The reason Mo Lemsagam failed because he was incompetent. But this summer the whole recruitment process and preparing the team for the season was left to John Sheridan I'm not sure the manager should be expected to do the lot anymore.

Now I don't think we should have a sporting Director I think we need a head of recruitment who when the manager says I need a Winger/ Stiker/ Number 10/ commanding centre back. He can go give him 5-10 Players who would be right for us. 

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

I think their is something fundamentally wrong about what we expect and how much emphasis we put on the First team manager.

The First Team Manager and we should have one as opposed to a head coach should be able to delegate a good chunk of the recruitment process should be handed over to a Head of recruitment who's job it is to go and find players who we can afford and who are better than what we have. Allowing the manager to focus on coaching/managing the team.

Now obviously I don't want a Mo Lemsagam type of figure at the club and I can understand that's why people think for that reason the Manager should do the lot. The reason Mo Lemsagam failed because he was incompetent. But this summer the whole recruitment process and preparing the team for the season was left to John Sheridan I'm not sure the manager should be expected to do the lot anymore.

Now I don't think we should have a sporting Director I think we need a head of recruitment who when the manager says I need a Winger/ Stiker/ Number 10/ commanding centre back. He can go give him 5-10 Players who would be right for us. 

Good players I've seen so far in lower non league;

Left winger

Luke Duffy; Warrington Town

Number 10

Nick Haughton; Fylde

Both scored goals on Saturday.

'Duffy opened the scoring on 18 minutes with a mazy run and shot from 20 yards'.

'Haughton has a touch of magic about him and when Fylde found him close to the penalty spot, he found a yard and fired a low shot past Pilling to the keeper’s left'.

I'd say none of our players  are capable of those skills.

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

What happened to the roll of chief scout? Wasn't that basically the same type of role, but one that was clearly under the manager?

1 hour ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

What happened to the roll of chief scout? Wasn't that basically the same type of role, but one that was clearly under the manager?

I think its one that's evolved abit these days alot of clubs involve quite a few people in the recruitment process now. Because financially its your biggest risk this why alot of clubs recruitment is much more data driven now so the scouts are doing alot more number crunching. Alot of clubs have an entire team of people looking for players, you have to get it right. You can't go round panic buying players or just signing someone has told you you indents research to this. Joe Royle had Jim Cassal who played a big roll in his success.

Below is an article about how Liverpool have done. We can't have anything on their scale but I reckon we can learn some lessons because they undoubtedly get value for money. A decent Head of recruitment with a couple of scouts data analysts below him will earn his salary back many times over.

Liverpools recruitment

This typifies social media, a man that spent years putting his heart and soul into scouting and indeed clubs have reaped his efforts, to be scoffed at by those that's never done it or ever likely too, Show some respect. By all means disagree with the man but disrespect is out.

11 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

He’s forgotten more than you’ll ever know…wind it in!!

Including what he had for breakfast..... only kidding 🙂

I agree with many of his recommendations and there are plenty out there in this league and the division below who'd improve us.

10 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I suspect Ferguson will have plans higher than the National League.

Someone like Darren Currie would fit the bill. Assistant at Southend. Managed Sheffield United U23 to the title a couple of years back and renowned as a good coach in the lower leagues.

Failing that, Greening is a good shout made by Brad on the phone in this week...

I could get on board with Darren Currie, that Sheff Utd u23 team were flying for a couple of years.

I would also work out a way to bring in a coach under him, one who found Iliman N’Diaye (the best player in that under 23 team and soon to be in the prem) and who works 1-1 every pre-season with a number of premier league and championship youngsters called Mahrez Bettache. Currently doing his Uefa A and will be in the football league within the next couple of years.

53 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

In terms of his record he would be a very good choice.  But seeing as he's the son of the Harrogate owner I think he'd be nigh on impossible to get.

Wouldn't be easy but if you could sell the project to him who knows. He certainly ticks a lot of boxes for what we should be looking for IMO.

Archived