MATCH: vs Eastleigh (H) 17/09/22

• Bender changed the title to MATCH: vs Eastleigh (H) 17/09/22
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably not Dave bar Big Joe, who at his time of life doesn't need it and would only be a figurehead with some wise words. 

That's why it's a crazy footballing decision doing it this way.

When the decision was made it should have been kept under wraps in my view until we had a new manager lined up ready to step in immediately. 

If the club were set on giving him a send off we could still have given Shez a " lap of honour" type thing 5 mins before the Wrexham game, then got on with the business of playing football.

I agree with Paddy it could end up being glorified testimonial performance which is not ideal and most likely will not benefit us.

And I can't remember seeing such an act anywhere else. Can you imagine this happening at Chelsea when they sacked Tuchel? He won them the Champions League FFS.

" Right Tom we need to sack you as we don't want you as our manager any more, but as your a club legend for winning us the CL you can have a jolly for the rest of the week, and all the fans can give you a nice clap and send off in the home game on Saturday"! It's like a pantomime!

It's a "nice" thing to do but that's part of the problem....we are too nice, and too soft on the field.

Sentiment is great and many will say it's a classy thing to do, but  we are a business, and a failing one at the moment. 

Let's not pretend we won't need every point come April and losing on Saturday could end up costing us dear.

Come 5 o clock Saturday let's see if it was a sensible thing to do. Win and it's not a problem but it's a high risk strategy.

5 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Probably not Dave bar Big Joe, who at his time of life doesn't need it and would only be a figurehead with some wise words. 

When the decision was made it should have been kept under wraps in my view until we had a new manager lined up ready to step in immediately. 

If the club were set on giving him a send off we could still have given Shez a " lap of honour" type thing 5 mins before the Wrexham game, then got on with the business of playing football.

I agree with Paddy it could end up being glorified testimonial performance which is not ideal and most likely will not benefit us.

And I can't remember seeing such an act anywhere else. Can you imagine this happening at Chelsea when they sacked Tuchel? He won them the Champions League FFS.

" Right Tom we need to sack you as we don't want you as our manager any more, but as your a club legend for winning us the CL you can have a jolly for the rest of the week, and all the fans can give you a nice clap and send off in the home game on Saturday"! It's like a pantomime!

It's a "nice" thing to do but that's part of the problem....we are too nice, and too soft on the field.

Sentiment is great and many will say it's a classy thing to do, but  we are a business, and a failing one at the moment. 

Let's not pretend we won't need every point come April and losing on Saturday could end up costing us dear.

Come 5 o clock Saturday let's see if it was a sensible thing to do. Win and it's not a problem but it's a high risk strategy. 

I don't agree. I think its a good thing that shez is being given a send off. I think its a fitting thing to do and I'm happy that we are rebuilding our reputation as an honourable, decent club. 

The comments about it being a testimonial, well it can't hurt can it? We've been dire, and it could be that the atmosphere on Saturday changes the players mindset and we see a lift in performance. It cannot get any worse!!!

Although the daft talk of a statue is ridiculous, the man has given us a lot of service, saved us twice, came in at the end of last season and at least gave us a glimmer of hope.

Thanks Shez. Club legend status confirmed 👍 

7 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Sure there was a manager last season who took a game after being sacked, Warnock at Middlesbrough is in my head but could be wrong.

Don't have a massive problem with tomorrow, no make or break games ever happened in September.

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

Sure there was a manager last season who took a game after being sacked, Warnock at Middlesbrough is in my head but could be wrong.

Don't have a massive problem with tomorrow, no make or break games ever happened in September.

Well no, but we are already playing catch up and could find ourselves more points behind the pack...

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Time will tell Eyresy...just don't think we can afford to cheaply give away another 3 points, if indeed it happens 

3 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Time will tell Eyresy...just don't think we can afford to cheaply give away another 3 points, if indeed it happens 

I agree with that BUT you saw us at Woking, giving up the points cheaply is already a thing so the unusual circumstances on Saturday surely can’t make things any worse!

8 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Title has already gone which is a shameful reflection on how badly Sheri and Wright have done.

Title was always likely to go to the Wrexham Allstars. It's having too many points to claw back on the playoff pack that is concerning me. Still, at least we'll all have a nice time singing John Sheridan's name...

3 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Hope the players remember that 3 points are at stake in John Sheridan's testimonial...

3 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

They haven't run through walls for him so far, can you see that changing tomorrow?

They may want to impress the new manager who, hopefully, is  discretely watching from somewhere!

4 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Flynn at Newport did it. They beat Scunthorpe 3-0...

Archived