Signing & Player Rumours

4 hours ago, BP1960 said:

The blond lad was good and is being watched by a Championship club.

Also see 20yo Sol Solomon scored 2 for Marine, this boy averages a goal a game in the last 2 seasons 

I'm not saying Latics should immediately sign any of those I mention (except Haughton) just have someone check then out.

Maybe they have already. 

Not having a pop at you but this “being watched” means very little. I was sat by a Preston scout in the Main Stand a few years ago - he had come to watch Fage. That didn’t come to much!  And some of us recall Andy Holt being “watched” by Celtic (when they were a big club) . Nada. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

Maybe they have already. 

Not having a pop at you but this “being watched” means very little. I was sat by a Preston scout in the Main Stand a few years ago - he had come to watch Fage. That didn’t come to much!  And some of us recall Andy Holt being “watched” by Celtic (when they were a big club) . Nada. 

Just to add, Alex Ferguson had Andy Holt watched a couple of times.👍

1 hour ago, LaticsPete said:

Maybe they have already. 

Unsurprising though don't forget many many club want Dylan Fage.

1 hour ago, LaticsPete said:

Maybe they have already. 

Players have to be watched in case a gem is missed. Even top clubs get it wrong though as in the case of Chris Waddle when in non league and I was told he'd as never make a football league player at any level in a million years.

It's all about opinions.

7 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Players have to be watched in case a gem is missed. Even top clubs get it wrong though as in the case of Chris Waddle when in non league and I was told he'd as never make a football league player at any level in a million years.

It's all about opinions.

Precisely. And saying that so and so has been watched by a club Iis no indication that he will make it any further than where he is now. 

39 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

It's all about opinions.

its quite a lot about first impressions and stubborness too

23 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

how does it work lno we can sign but can EFL/PL loan out/sell players or wud we have to do that totally not dodgy Rooney type thing

As far as I understand, EFL and above players can only move during the transfer windows

Loans, Free agents and other non league (yay) players we can sign, though I think loans are limited in length 

1 hour ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

As far as I understand, EFL and above players can only move during the transfer windows

Loans, Free agents and other non league (yay) players we can sign, though I think loans are limited in length 

I don't think that's correct as prem sides often sell players abroad outside of windows. Didn't Stockport sign Boltons captain last year late on?

2 hours ago, Clifford said:

Any chance Royle & Royle will be able to prize some money from Franks tight grip now we have some TV money coming?

I expected some moves in once the lad at Scunny turned us down.

I think Unsworth mentioned he had been trying to persuade some better players to drop down a league or two but was ultimately unsuccessful.

55 minutes ago, True Tic said:

I think Unsworth mentioned he had been trying to persuade some better players to drop down a league or two but was ultimately unsuccessful.

Players from the EFL would have to have exhausted all options to drop out of the league, unless silly money is waved in front of them. I don't think Latics have the clout to do that, hence his comments regarding the wait until January, which probably means a raid on Everton.

Free agents, there must be a reason why they are free or go for players from non-league. As I said previously, I think Unsworth will assess returning players and hope we can stay clear of the relegation zone until January, with new blood coming in to push the team on.

5 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

So what about Okagbue?

what about him? we are discussing the chances of bringing in players, especially a striker, with quality and experience to improve the team.

Okagbue is a completely untried rookie 18 yr old CB on loan who had never previously played for anybody, ever.

9 hours ago, Gawbie said:

@BP1960Bailey Marsden worth a watch again, playing well at Mossley. Shaw lad too. 

Thanks, I'll check him out when Mossley are at home to 1874 Northwich on November 5th.

He's only 20yo, with a background of Manchester United and Crewe it looks promising.

6 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

what about him? we are discussing the chances of bringing in players, especially a striker, with quality and experience to improve the team.

Okagbue is a completely untried rookie 18 yr old CB on loan who had never previously played for anybody, ever.

The reply was to EFL players stepping down to non lge which this fella has done. Signed from Stoke.

19 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Pretty worrying that we have signed no new players when the manager has been banging on about getting new players for a while now. 

worrying ? No.

Just a recognition that it's not easy getting quality to sign for a non-league club. We certainly don't want signings for the sake of it.

1 minute ago, LaticsPete said:

worrying ? No.

Just a recognition that it's not easy getting quality to sign for a non-league club. We certainly don't want signings for the sake of it.

I agree. That would be a throwback, in a sense, to what Sheridan had to do.

Wrexham have the luxury of being able to throw bags of money around to tempt players who will definitely be quality in this league. Despite what some are saying regarding unaccounted for gate receipts, I don't think the club has the money it would take.

It feels a bit like that period between Christmas and New Year, one peak of excitement just gone and everything is in a flat limbo, waiting for the next one. Fingers crossed ours is on the way.

Archived