Signing & Player Rumours

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely fucking scandalous how we've played a succession of absolute fucking wet wipes in our midfield this season (and continue to do so) yet this lad couldn't get a sniff in probably the worst midfield in the clubs history.

Wish the lad all the best he's better off away where his undoubted ability will be appreciated, always lifted us when he came on and did his best under the circumstances, never given a chance but will do just fine at an higher level than ours.

Enjoyed this parting quote from Harry, which could be interpreted as a slight dig at Unsworth (and maybe Shez)

“There is a clear pathway for young players to come to Cottingham and train with the first-team and get the opportunity.

“I would say I am creative and technical. I am quite small, but I don’t shy out of a tackle. I am aggressive out of possession and I feel like I am a good dribbler”

Nobody from Everton then? Before anyone chips in, no I'm not bothered about it, but the talk when Unsworth came in (from fans and Unsworth himself) was that he would utilise his links at Everton and be able to bring in some top prospects on loan. Very strange that they wouldn't send him any of their young talent...

2 hours ago, Sloshed Joe said:

Enjoyed this parting quote from Harry, which could be interpreted as a slight dig at Unsworth (and maybe Shez)

“There is a clear pathway for young players to come to Cottingham and train with the first-team and get the opportunity.

“I would say I am creative and technical. I am quite small, but I don’t shy out of a tackle. I am aggressive out of possession and I feel like I am a good dribbler”

He's bang on as well, crying shame he's been overlooked pretty much continuously by Unsworth in favour of some right frauds, at least the lad can play football and he's streets ahead of the likes of Couto who Hull wouldn't have as a ball boy. I'm glad he's been allowed to go and kick on, Unsworth digging him out after Altrincham was a cunts trick and the fact the lad kept his head down and screwed the nut was all the more credit to him.

7 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Nobody from Everton then? Before anyone chips in, no I'm not bothered about it, but the talk when Unsworth came in (from fans and Unsworth himself) was that he would utilise his links at Everton and be able to bring in some top prospects on loan. Very strange that they wouldn't send him any of their young talent...

It is strange given the early noise and I don't think Dyche would be opposed to the odd fringe player coming here, we can still bring in Prem loans can't we?.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

He's bang on as well, crying shame he's been overlooked pretty much continuously by Unsworth in favour of some right frauds, at least the lad can play football and he's streets ahead of the likes of Couto who Hull wouldn't have as a ball boy. I'm glad he's been allowed to go and kick on, Unsworth digging him out after Altrincham was a cunts trick and the fact the lad kept his head down and screwed the nut was all the more credit to him.

Not just by Unsworth

It wasn't a cunts trick. He didn't really dig him out. He only said for the goal Harry needed to track more defensively. 

And I would have liked to have seen him play more

On 1/17/2023 at 8:21 AM, Gaz_Oafc said:

I know it was always going to happen, but ... Chesterfield local press spinning a story making out that Colclough only ever wanted to go to Chesterfield despite interest from other clubs in the division...

Which hints at him turning us down rather than us/frank pulling the plug...

Always said he'd go on to play at a higher level and couldn't get a look in. Most naturally talented footballer at the club. It just feels like it was Unsworth’s ego that prevented any progress. 

I know which of the two I'd still prefer to be at the club.

4 hours ago, Sloshed Joe said:

We had Vaughan going out on loan, while bringing in someone like Peck who did absolutely nothing while here….
It is a shame, for all the nice words Unsworth says about Harry, that he didn’t actually give the lad a chance 😮

6 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Absolutely fucking scandalous how we've played a succession of absolute fucking wet wipes in our midfield this season (and continue to do so) yet this lad couldn't get a sniff in probably the worst midfield in the clubs history.

Wish the lad all the best he's better off away where his undoubted ability will be appreciated, always lifted us when he came on and did his best under the circumstances, never given a chance but will do just fine at an higher level than ours.

. . . and did ourselves out of higher fee by giving him more minutes. 

His time with us has been a big own goal on and off pitch. 

It's not just Unsworth, it's a succession of managers that haven't fancied him to do the job we need. Also, no manager in the NL, L2 or L1 has come in for him either. It's a championship academy side, the likes of which sends us players from time to time and we moan about us taking them as they're lightweight rather than playing our own.

He's talented, but maybe a championship academy is actually all he's ready for at the moment?

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

It's not just Unsworth, it's a succession of managers that haven't fancied him to do the job we need. Also, no manager in the NL, L2 or L1 has come in for him either. It's a championship academy side, the likes of which sends us players from time to time and we moan about us taking them as they're lightweight rather than playing our own.

He's talented, but maybe a championship academy is actually all he's ready for at the moment?

Maybe but why bring in players like Peck then? Surely the purpose of an Academy is to provide a pathway and blood players?, this was never going to happen under Unsworth, for me it's short sighted and begs the question is it really worth having particularly under a manager who only seems interested in you if you are dating the daughter.

8 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Maybe but why bring in players like Peck then? Surely the purpose of an Academy is to provide a pathway and blood players?, this was never going to happen under Unsworth, for me it's short sighted and begs the question is it really worth having particularly under a manager who only seems interested in you if you are dating the daughter.

Ouch 😀😀😀

6 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

My guess with Peck would be scrambling around a bit to try and get some decent footballers in. In the end the formation he's going with at the moment doesn't have any room for Peck to play in his proper position. Plus I suppose you never really know if a young player who's on his first loan is the right fit until you get him in. Hence a short term youth loan. It's a low risk strategy.

I'd hope the longer term plan is to bring players through from our youth system and have a proper, regular pathway into the first team. But like everything else at the moment, I'm not stressing too much that that hasn't happened a few months into the new ownership while everyone is finding their feet. Doesn't mean it never will happen.

38 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Yeah I'm often critical of Unsworth but that's 4 or 5 managers now who haven't played Vaughan, so there's obviously a recurring theme. He's always looked technically good when coming on but I don't think he'd have been the messiah some seem to think he was. The issue with our midfield for years has been that it's too lightweight

47 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

So we now have two former youth team players at a Championship club, one who never got a first team game and the other rarely under the current management.

Any news of the Acadamy plans after May?

If that's Simms, I think the circumstances of him moving were rather different and quite well publicised.

9 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

If that's Simms, I think the circumstances of him moving were rather different and quite well publicised.

Correct, but he was a prolific goalscorer in the youths and never given a chance in the first team.

Vaughan is a talent but physically not ready for the mens game. A view shared within his camp. It's felt it was better for him to develop in the youth set up somewhere than be kicked up and down by plumbers in the national leagues.

My view is he's not good enough for our starting 11. If we've got more than the fee we paid for Nutall and a decent sell on clause It's a good move for all parties. 

Archived