Signing & Player Rumours

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Regan Booty. From up north, currently at Maidstone and made the England C team...

The England C squad is a bit of a cop out really in that Paul Fairclough simply picked one player from each of the 24 National League teams plus an extra keeper from Worthing or somewhere…😳

8 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

The England C squad is a bit of a cop out really in that Paul Fairclough simply picked one player from each of the 24 National League teams plus an extra keeper from Worthing or somewhere…😳

Yeah, found that out last night. Apparently NL rules state a player from each NL team is to be selected. I'm surprised our left back wasn't chosen over our goalkeeper...

40 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Yeah, found that out last night. Apparently NL rules state a player from each NL team is to be selected. I'm surprised our left back wasn't chosen over our goalkeeper...

Really I'd never have guessed.....

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Regan Booty. From up north, currently at Maidstone and made the England C team...

I know cock all about him (like any player at this level) but a quick scan off their forum suggests he's one of the very few they want to keep in their squad but consensus is they've got no chance as he's too good for that level (presumably NLN as that's where they are heading )

28 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

I know cock all about him (like any player at this level) but a quick scan off their forum suggests he's one of the very few they want to keep in their squad but consensus is they've got no chance as he's too good for that level (presumably NLN as that's where they are heading )

If Maidstone end up in NLN I’ll be amazed. 

57 minutes ago, Sloshed Joe said:

Is this one from our Head of Recruitment, or did Unsworth make the Booty call?

Well I can't say I remember seeing him, if he's the competivness and attitude of Yarney though he should be fine.

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Depends. If he does sign and is good, then it will be an Unsworth signing. If he signs and is poor, then it will be a signing made by the club. That's what my man @BPAS @lookersstandandywill have us believe anyway...

I fascinate with how myopic you become over certain topics.

Darren Royle told us on the podcast that the data team identify possible targets, the scouting dept watch them and provide a level of quality control and then possible signing are presented to the coaching staff. If all depts agree, they approach cubs/agents. Ergo, ALL signings are CLUB signings, not just David Unsworth's, Steve Thompson's or anyone else's.

Now its obviously likely that one of the depts is keener than another on any individual player. For example, one imagines Nuttall & Yarney could well be DU's preference, whereas Reid could have been Thompson's, but it's a team decision on all occasions. Gone are the days of Marco & Mo presenting Pete Wild with Urko Vera & Sohny Sefil, or Big Baz ringing up anyone he knows begging for loans.

18 minutes ago, BPAS said:

Darren Royle told us on the podcast that the data team identify possible targets, the scouting dept watch them and provide a level of quality control and then possible signing are presented to the coaching staff. If all depts agree, they approach cubs/agents. Ergo, ALL signings are CLUB signings, not just David Unsworth's, Steve Thompson's or anyone else's.

Now its obviously likely that one of the depts is keener than another on any individual player. For example, one imagines Nuttall & Yarney could well be DU's preference, whereas Reid could have been Thompson's, but it's a team decision on all occasions. Gone are the days of Marco & Mo presenting Pete Wild with Urko Vera & Sohny Sefil, or Big Baz ringing up anyone he knows begging for loans.

I don’t think it’s myopic at all Andy. . .  just a reflection of how things come across. 

When things are going well no one mentions the club signing players. It’s all about Unsy and how he’s starting to come good. Fine. 

When we throw an abject performance in, it is often said on the pod to cut him slack because he might  not always have the players he alone wants. 

He can’t have it both ways. 

He should own defeats and wins in equal measure, that isn’t lacking foresight - it’s actually a very fair and balanced view. 

1 hour ago, BPAS said:

For anyone from Shaw or Fitton Hill:

Myopic meaning:

unable to see what the results of a particular action or decision will be; unable to think about anything outside your own situation synonym short-sighted

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

He should own defeats and wins in equal measure, that isn’t lacking foresight - it’s actually a very fair and balanced view. 

Unsworth does. The view of Internet sad sacks isn't the view of our manager or the board.

4 minutes ago, BPAS said:

….I’ve repeated it time and again on the pod.

You have. . . 

Any every time I’ve heard you say it-  it’s always to bring context as to why Unsworth might be struggling, or not getting a tune out of them. 

I don’t think I’ve ever heard you say- ‘this recent run of form has been good, but it isn’t all down to Unsworth- credit must go to the club for how they recruit players’ 

If you have, apologies. 

But the first paragraph has definitely been prevalent, and it cuts both ways. 

I’m happy to cut him slack with recruitment if he’s not in sole charge. 

Equally though - the club must take credit when we do well, as they have had a big input. 

4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

You have. . . 

Any every time I’ve heard you say it-  it’s always to bring context as to why Unsworth might be struggling, or not getting a tune out of them. 

I don’t think I’ve ever heard you say- ‘this recent run of form has been good, but it isn’t all down to Unsworth- credit must go to the club for how they recruit players’ 

If you have, apologies. 

Equally though - the club must take credit when we do well, as they have had a big input. 

That’s the way it always comes across to me. For example, I definitely remember it being said in the podcast when fans were questioning why he signed Reid then continually left him on the bench, that Unsworth didn’t sign him and probably didn’t want him.

1 minute ago, Steve_R said:

That’s the way it always comes across to me. For example, I definitely remember it being said in the podcast when fans were questioning why he signed Reid then continually left him on the bench, that Unsworth didn’t sign him and probably didn’t want him.

They're all fans with opinions. Many thought the same given the selection situation. 

I've heard some say Unsworth doesn't want to keep Fondop when he signed his deal as he drops him regularly. 

We're all just nerds talking bollocks. Most of the time we know nowt.

47 minutes ago, League one forever said:

You have. . . 

If you have, apologies. 

Ok….. but I haven’t heard anyone criticising the club for recruitment to feel the need to defend the club….. whereas people have oft attacked Unsworth alone for signing players on long contracts that have not made enough of a difference.

When we interviewed Darren and he explained how recruitment now worked, I thought we were & all the listeners would be extremely positive about it.

My defending of Unsworth has been focussed on the fact that I felt it would take longer than the time he’d had to make a discernible difference, given that we could only sign players that were unwanted by their clubs and the summer would see more and better players become available.

One could argue that giving him that time is now beginning to pay dividends given our upturn in form, whilst conceding performances are yet to be overly convincing. 

40 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

I still think this was likely to be the case. Unsworth wanted Nuttall, but was presented with Reid. It’s perfectly conceivable to me that he agreed to the signing but eventually couldn’t find a place for him playing 1 up top - as he was persisting with at the time - because that’s not his game & when he did try it, it clearly didn’t work. I also think Unsworth didn’t fancy Fondop at that point and was being belligerent over not playing 2 strikers when it seemed obvious to most of us he should try it. This is where I think he’s learning on the job about this level of football. He and us will be better off for it next season.

I’m genuinely excited for next season. For the the first time since 2009, save a fleeting period with Lee Johnson.

7 minutes ago, BPAS said:

Ok….. but I haven’t heard anyone criticising the club for recruitment to feel the need to defend the club….. whereas people have oft attacked Unsworth alone for signing players on long contracts that have not made enough of a difference.

When we interviewed Darren and he explained how recruitment now worked, I thought we were & all the listeners would be extremely positive about it.

My defending of Unsworth has been focussed on the fact that I felt it would take longer than the time he’d had to make a discernible difference, given that we could only sign players that were unwanted by their clubs and the summer would see more and better players become available.

One could argue that giving him that time is now beginning to pay dividends given our upturn in form, whilst conceding performances are yet to be overly convincing. 

I still think this was likely to be the case. Unsworth wanted Nuttall, but was presented with Reid. It’s perfectly conceivable to me that he agreed to the signing but eventually couldn’t find a place for him playing 1 up top - as he was persisting with at the time - because that’s not his game & when he did try it, it clearly didn’t work. I also think Unsworth didn’t fancy Fondop at that point and was being belligerent over not playing 2 strikers when it seemed obvious to most of us he should try it. This is where I think he’s learning on the job about this level of football. He and us will be better off for it next season.

I’m genuinely excited for next season. For the the first time since 2009, save a fleeting period with Lee Johnson.

I don’t have a problem with the recruitment set up. It’s something we’ve needed for a long time. I think though, that if you give a manager a three year deal, and he’s clearly here for the long haul.’, then he should definitely have the final say on signings.

25 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

I don’t have a problem with the recruitment set up. It’s something we’ve needed for a long time. I think though, that if you give a manager a three year deal, and he’s clearly here for the long haul.’, then he should definitely have the final say on signings.

I imagine he does, in as much as if he doesn’t agree they won’t sign a player, but he can equally be the least convinced party in agreement and/or be persuaded. It goes both ways. It’s human nature right?

Archived