National League Thread

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

There would be uproar on here if we signed a 23rd right footed centrehalf - and rightly so. We have no issues at all in that position so it's hardly surprising your recommendation was filed away.

Recommended October 2022.

Edited by BP1960

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

We signed Raglan and Hobson to that position. I’m ok with signing proven players at this level and above over good but untested prospects from lower leagues. 

I recommended him 8 months before them.

I look for young promising prospects who will likely move on for big fees.

'Experience' brought us most of the failures in this squad.

If the manager prefers that criteria it's up to him.

Edited by BP1960

8 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

If the manager prefers that criteria it's up to him.

We signed Yarney just after that who was probably our best defender last season. 

I get what you’re saying about future returns but the club is still transitioning from being a circus to a properly run club. Clearly experience is preferred at the moment. It seems to be paying off. 

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:
1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

We signed Yarney just after that who was probably our best defender last season. 

Not made the starting line up at Tranmere since mid December.

9 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Not made the starting line up at Tranmere since mid December.

True but not relevant to my point. He did very well for us and during his time with us I don’t remember many people saying he should be replaced. 

4 hours ago, nzlatic said:

We’ve got to play Bromley too. If we beat them then that’s only 3 points to make up over the other 10 games. Top 3 is definitely within reach. 

You mean Top 2…

Just now, Lee Sinnott said:

It's a very loose link to the National League, but the Wealdstone manager went to Notts County a month or so ago and it's turned into an absolute disaster for him...

What happened to the previous County manager. 

Just now, disjointed said:

What happened to the previous County manager. 

Poached by Swansea. The perils of having a young progressive coach. Sniff of the big leagues and they’re off!

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

If the manager prefers that criteria it's up to 

Do you work for the club in any capacity?

I seem to remember you saying under Unsy you’d had initial contact with the club but then they went quiet? 

I only ask, because you seem to take it really personally when our manager/s don’t take your recommendations but if you don’t work for them or they never get back to you, why does it bother you? 

Just be a fan. 

6 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

You mean Top 2…

I was just looking at what we need to do to get ahead of Bromley. Beat them then make up 3 points over 10 games. We have to make up 6 points in 11 games to get past Barnet so they could get 2nd. 

3 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

He must think he’s dropped a right bollock. 

Nah, got a move to a higher division. Not fancied at the minute but that doesn’t mean it won’t change. If he did leave he’d get another league two club or ex league club in our

division IMO. So he hasn’t lost anything. 

16 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Nah, got a move to a higher division. Not fancied at the minute but that doesn’t mean it won’t change. If he did leave he’d get another league two club or ex league club in our

division IMO. So he hasn’t lost anything. 

Actually yeah you’re probably right. He’s played a lot more than I thought he had and he’s only 26.

3 hours ago, League one forever said:

Do you work for the club in any capacity?

I seem to remember you saying under Unsy you’d had initial contact with the club but then they went quiet? 

I only ask, because you seem to take it really personally when our manager/s don’t take your recommendations but if you don’t work for them or they never get back to you, why does it bother you? 

Just be a fan. 

Yes, went to matches scouting for ST and recommended many young players who have gone higher than the level they played, but was told 'experience' was the priority. No one  contacted me after Steve left so I've never bothered since, except for watching the youth team where my best recommendation is now well documented.

I'm 79yo next month so not chasing anyone at the club anymore. IMO agents rule the roost and old fashioned scouting for hidden gems has long gone.

I still have my EPL and EFL contacts though so I've passed on any info I have on to them.

Edited by BP1960

5 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Yes, went to matches scouting for ST, recommended many young players who have gone higher than the level they played but was told 'experience' was the priority. No one  contacted me after Steve left so I've never bothered since, except for watching the youth team where my best recommendation is now well documented.

Fair do’s. 

Buying young and selling on is fine-  if as a club you’re willing to be patient and build for the medium to long term to gain promotion. 

Looks like we want up and out asap and with that in mind, I totally understand why the club have gone down the experience route. 

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

Fair do’s. 

Buying young and selling on is fine-  if as a club you’re willing to be patient and build for the medium to long term to gain promotion. 

Looks like we want up and out asap and with that in mind, I totally understand why the club have gone down the experience route. 

Yes, I can understand the experience angle, but it did gall me when I knew a young player in the 8th tier was better than what we had on the books and will be playing in the football league next season. He was considered by DU, but not taken on.

I'm glad the lad from the youth team is now training with the first team at least.