National League Thread

Halifax 2 up at Oxford so a win looking likely for them today.

I think Barnet, Bromley and probably Solihull are safe for the play offs. Which would leave 3 spots for Aldershot, Altrincham, Gateshead, Oldham and Halifax to fight over who are separated by just 4 points. Will be tight!

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

Halifax 2 up at Oxford so a win looking likely for them today.

I think Barnet, Bromley and probably Solihull are safe for the play offs. Which would leave 3 spots for Aldershot, Altrincham, Gateshead, Oldham and Halifax to fight over who are separated by just 4 points. Will be tight!

Hopefully Oxford are as kind to us as they have been Halifax with those goals. They are both pretty horrific. They’ll deffo turn up for our game though…

• Like 1

OK results for us with Gateshead and Aldershot losing meaning we keep pace with those. which is important. Looking at the run-ins, I like ours. Most teams we play should be safe from relegation and not realistically in hunt for a play-off places which is the type of teams you'd prefer to play. Gateshead have a more difficult run of matches on paper. Four wins should be the target which gives you in excess of 71 points and should be enough for a place this season. Throw a draw or two in as well and it comfortably books us in 6th or 7th.

The Alty and Halifax matches will be crucial for us.

1 hour ago, daniel said:

Hopefully Oxford are as kind to us as they have been Halifax with those goals. They are both pretty horrific. They’ll deffo turn up for our game though…

They’ll be down by then and it’ll be their last home game at this level against a former premier league team with a full away end with a lot of our fans expecting to see a 5-0 thrashing. Textbook definition of banana skin!

Dagenham (a)

Fylde (h)

Altrincham (a)

Rochdale (h)

Oxford (a)

Wealdstone (h)

Halifax (a)

I reckon we need 14 or 15 points from these fixtures which looks a big ask to me. Saturday really is a must win given some teams around us have winnable fixtures as well as their games in hand a week Tuesday.

1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

OK results for us with Gateshead and Aldershot losing meaning we keep pace with those. which is important. Looking at the run-ins, I like ours. Most teams we play should be safe from relegation and not realistically in hunt for a play-off places which is the type of teams you'd prefer to play. Gateshead have a more difficult run of matches on paper. Four wins should be the target which gives you in excess of 71 points and should be enough for a place this season. Throw a draw or two in as well and it comfortably books us in 6th or 7th.

The Alty and Halifax matches will be crucial for us.

And just as crucial for them too!!😆

On the downside we’ve won only once in our last 7!!

Beating Alty & Halifax will make it a damn site easier, lose those two and it’s all over I would think!

Edited by oafc1955

6 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

And just as crucial for them too!!😆

On the downside we’ve won only once in our last 7!!

True that. It's arguably our most challenging run of form in MM's tenure. However seeds of optimism from the Chesterfield performance which might give confidence to playing more on the front foot.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

True that. It's arguably our most challenging run of form in MM's tenure. However seeds of optimism from the Chesterfield performance which might give confidence to playing more on the front foot.

7 cup finals, ironically the dropped points st home against the poor teams may well now come back to bite us on the arse. It's still sort of in our own hands.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Halifax home to Chesterfield this Wednesday 😳
I hope that MM and GB go along too for a spying mission…

Have Halifax changed much since October 2022? 

Play Dallas + 10 others and they will struggle. Jamie Stott had the turning ability of an ocean liner when he played for us 7 years ago. That won't have improved in that time. Micky Mellon (plus Brabin and Murray) will have done his research already.

7 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Have Halifax changed much since October 2022? 

Play Dallas + 10 others and they will struggle. Jamie Stott had the turning ability of an ocean liner when he played for us 7 years ago. That won't have improved in that time. Micky Mellon (plus Brabin and Murray) will have done his research already.

The state of the pitch at Halifax, it might be a game for Fondop and Garner...

4 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

The state of the pitch at Halifax, it might be a game for Fondop and Garner...

I agree. There's no way the side that played on Saturday will get anything other than thumped 0-3. Play a side for the conditions. 

On 3/15/2024 at 4:06 PM, Wardie said:

Emphasising the strange ambiguity of this league, Wealdstone, one place above the relegation zone and having four games in hand on Southend, would be in tenth and above Southend had they played and won them all.

No chance. One of their games in hand will be against us !

That gives Wealdstone eleven games until season end in April. They are a part-time team (no disrespect intended), and they're going to be knackered. Long journeys to Altrincham and your BP in that too, and three games only 48 hours apart for each. That's harsh with neither leeway nor contingency to extend the season by a week or so.

Raises the question again over player safety in the National League, where games are more likely to be cancelled when the weather is bad causing a fixture backlog.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Glossop Shrimper said:

That gives Wealdstone eleven games until season end in April. They are a part-time team (no disrespect intended), and they're going to be knackered. Long journeys to Altrincham and your BP in that too, and three games only 48 hours apart for each. That's harsh with neither leeway nor contingency to extend the season by a week or so.

Raises the question again over player safety in the National League, where games are more likely to be cancelled when the weather is bad causing a fixture backlog.

Teams like Halifax with substandard playing surfaces should be docked points.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Glossop Shrimper said:

Wealdstone have us last game of the season so I'm hoping by that point they are safe and are just going through the motions. Ideally we will be cemented in the play offs by then so the only thing that we are playing for is which place in the play offs we occupy.

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Wealdstone have us last game of the season so I'm hoping by that point they are safe and are just going through the motions. Ideally we will be cemented in the play offs by then so the only thing that we are playing for is which place in the play offs we occupy.

They should also be knackered. They've got 2 sets of 3 games in 6 days including 1 set of 4 games in 8 days. If they are safe I can see us needing two hands to count our goals.

8 hours ago, rudemedic said:

They should also be knackered. They've got 2 sets of 3 games in 6 days including 1 set of 4 games in 8 days. If they are safe I can see us needing two hands to count our goals.

🙈 hope this doesn't bite us on the arse.

8 hours ago, rudemedic said:

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

🙈 hope this doesn't bite us on the arse.

They should be a sitting duck if we need a win and we can't beat Wealdstone in this fixture then we don't deserve to be in the play offs it's as simple as that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

England C - Tom Conlon subbed at the start of the second half 👍

open top bus parade and calls for a national holiday from the welsh after slaying the evil English occupiers.

mint Conlon he is fast becoming one of my faves. he has only played well twice for us but if that is what is to come as he gets up to speed then l like it a lot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Are we still thinking that Chesterfield want to win the title at home. If so, we'll be three points behind Halifax tonight 

I imagine it would be preferable to go into their next home game as champions and plan the celebrations accordingly.

Away win.