MATCH: vs Wrecsam (A) 06/11/22 FA Cup 1st Rd 12.30 🏆

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Why should the next not be sacked after 10?

I'd allow him to bring in his own players. 

Sacked after 12 weeks 🤣

Some proper cretins on here who think that a team full of serial losers should be coached into great players within a month and a half after being shit and below average all their careers

Serial losers? A few have won this league or been player of year in it. Or played much higher. The squad isn’t the worst in the league like his record since starting has been 

45 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Why should the next not be sacked after 10?

Judge each case on it's merits.

We're a club with limited resources and we need a manager who can maximise those resources.  If he does that, there's no reason to sack him.

In this case, it all boils down to whether you think Unsworth is doing the best with what he'd got.  You think he is.  I don't. In fact I think he's made things worse.

I can't see us changing each others minds, I'm afraid.

46 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Some proper cretins on here who think that a team full of serial losers should be coached into great players within a month and a half after being shit and below average all their careers

😂😂

Christ, you’re just making things up now. Literally nobody has said that or claimed that’s what he should be capable of.  If you want to be a apologist for failure - then go nuts. But try and frame your argument with something that isn’t made up. 

Just now, JoeP said:

In this case, it all boils down to whether you think Unsworth is doing the best with what he'd got.  

But it doesn’t though. He’s not been brought in to maximise points in the short term. Him and his coaching team have been brought in to build the footballing side from the ground up. The shoots of that may take longer than 10 games to show through. That’s why I think it’s wrong to judge him so definitively this early. 

3 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

But it doesn’t though. He’s not been brought in to maximise points in the short term. Him and his coaching team have been brought in to build the footballing side from the ground up. The shoots of that may take longer than 10 games to show through. That’s why I think it’s wrong to judge him so definitively this early. 

Alright, who is in charge of maximising points in the short-term then?  Someone's got to.

6 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Alright, who is in charge of maximising points in the short-term then?  Someone's got to.

He’s been hired to do a long term job. But because it’s not been a success within a few games he should be sacked? It’s madness. 

Just now, mcfluff1985 said:

Name the ones you're talking about

rooney twice nat player of year. Angol won promotion through nat league. Hogan won promotion twice with Salford and was okayed of year. Maynard finished 2nd with Solihull last year played 30 games. Mcgahey threlkeld both played in championship. Hope promoted with bury from league two 

10 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

though. He’s not been brought in to maximise points in the short term. Him and his coaching team have been brought in to build the footballing side from the ground up. The

Sorry NZ - that’s nonsense. 

No manager has ever been hired under the remit of- ‘We’re shit so don’t worry about losing games for the foreseeable because we don’t expect to see any improvement for 12 months. 

He’s said himself - he needs to win games.

Otherwise what’s his job???? 

Over-see-er-of-football-operations- then-manager-in-12 months-when- I’ve-turned-over-30- players? 

Just now, League one forever said:

Sorry NZ - that’s nonsense. 

No manager has ever been hired under the remit of- ‘We’re shit so don’t worry about losing games for the foreseeable because we don’t expect to see any improvement for 12 months. 

He’s said himself - he needs to win games.

Otherwise what’s his job???? 

Over-see-er-of-football-operations- then-manager-in-12 months-when- I’ve-turned-over-30- players? 

Can you point to where I said any of this?

I said now was too early to be so certain he’s a flop. 

6 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

He’s been hired to do a long term job. But because it’s not been a success within a few games he should be sacked? It’s madness. 

Nonsense. 

Everyone wants stability and long term planning until you can’t win a game.

He’s won one game, if that carries on- we’re going down. 

You can not keep ignoring what is staring you in the face because he wants three years. Managers have to be showing they’re learning as they go and show something- anything from the performances. We have nothing. 

Fans putting up with defeat after defeat after defeat in the blind hope it will come good in 12/18 months is for the birds IMO. 

12 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

But part of the long-term strategy has to be to sort out the short-term.

Saying "don't worry about the short-term, because we'll boss the Oldham pub league in 5 years time when this masterplan kick in" is a very dangerous strategy, in my opinion...

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

Can you point to where I said any of this?

I said now was too early to be so certain he’s a flop. 

I didn’t say you did. Strange comment. 

You said he isn’t here to maximise points in the short term. (Which is a posh way of saying he doesn’t need to win games in the short term) 

I replied, and said clubs don’t hire and tell managers not to worry about results. 

The idea he can keep losing without any analysis from some fans is beyond me. 

I give up. I’m trying to say that 10 games isn’t enough to judge someone on results when you’ve hired them to do a long term rebuilding job.

Apparently this means being happy for us to lose constantly, have zero improvement over months and years and been relegated multiple times. 

2 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I give up. I’m trying to say that 10 games isn’t enough to judge someone on results when you’ve hired them to do a long term rebuilding job.

Apparently this means being happy for us to lose constantly, have zero improvement over months and years and been relegated multiple times. 

Pretty much every manager we've hired except Shez has been brought in to "do a long term job". Seems odd that this particular one is immune from criticism for some reason.

I want him to do well. But 10 games is more than enough time to show a least a smidgen of improvement, or progress. Would you say he's shown any?

5 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

😂

Don’t give up mate. It’s only chat.

Look, the simple fact is this. 

You think ten games isn’t enough time, when he’s brought in with the long term in mind. Fine. 

I think in those ten games, I’ve seen absolutely nothing to think he will turn it around, and to justify sticking with him in the long term. 

Should be sacked after ten games

No. 

Should he be sacked in another ten games if this form carries on? 

Yes. 

9 minutes ago, League one forever said:

😂

Don’t give up mate. It’s only chat.

Look, the simple fact is this. 

You think ten games isn’t enough time, when he’s brought in with the long term in mind. Fine. 

I think in those ten games, I’ve seen absolutely nothing to think he will turn it around, and to justify sticking with him in the long term. 

Should be sacked after ten games

No. 

Should he be sacked in another ten games if this form carries on? 

Yes. 

Nah I’m going to give up on the Unsworth out chat for now. I’ll come back to it in February when we’ve improved up to 14th and I can come back and say I told you all so!

6 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Nah I’m going to give up on the Unsworth out chat for now. I’ll come back to it in February when we’ve improved up to 14th and I can come back and say I told you all so!

14th! Bloody hell let’s not get to dizzy. I think we will be in the bottom 4 come the 31st of Jan. 

For me DU is getting out of this squad what's it's capable of. I'd have liked to have seen Hogan partnered with carrager to see what If any stability could be restored to the back line. 

Norman has to be back in goal until we can get a better keeper in. The sooner Clarke goes to Scunny the better and take loots with him.  Cooper, Wellens sent back January. Try hard to move on Stobbs, Porter, Burgess, Windass, McGahey. Give Gardener one more chance to stay fit.  Loan out Luamba   Vaughan, Couto, and Sutton. Then bring in some quality for this level. 

On 11/6/2022 at 3:22 PM, Wardie said:

Not to me, he wasn't. He didn't want the job, he said so while we were still in League Two and it showed in his management and game preparation and it's still showing now in the shower of shite he brought in and the lazy, free-ride attitude he instilled in his team.

All due respect for Sheridan but I am not convinced he wouldn't have the team in a better position than currently.

Well that doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

I could understand why people wanted a change although I'd have kept Shez myself. One of my reasons was an expectation we'd only appoint worse and that's increasingly looking the case.

Shez had 11 points from 9 fixtures which extrapolates to 56 over the season. Unsworth's 5 from 7 becomes 33 over a season and he's overseen 3 cup ties equally as grim.

The squad has only been added to both shortly before Shez left and since, and likewise has the staff.

All things considered Unsworth is underperforming. Indisputable. We've barely even had good spells in games. I've not given up on him just yet but we need to see some ideas and some signs of improvement quickly, otherwise we'll need to part ways by Christmas.

The idea our squad is div 5 relegation fodder is inaccurate as evidenced by their CV's, Sheridan's points return and bookmaker odds on the eve of the season. I can't dispute we have some poor players but 5 points from 7 games - 5 against other struggling sides - teamed with 3 poor cup showings is completely unacceptable and he'll know it himself.

31 minutes ago, Can Neil Redfearn Do It said:

Well that doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

I could understand why people wanted a change although I'd have kept Shez myself. One of my reasons was an expectation we'd only appoint worse and that's increasingly looking the case.

Shez had 11 points from 9 fixtures which extrapolates to 56 over the season. Unsworth's 5 from 7 becomes 33 over a season and he's overseen 3 cup ties equally as grim.

The squad has only been added to both shortly before Shez left and since, and likewise has the staff.

All things considered Unsworth is underperforming. Indisputable. We've barely even had good spells in games. I've not given up on him just yet but we need to see some ideas and some signs of improvement quickly, otherwise we'll need to part ways by Christmas.

The idea our squad is div 5 relegation fodder is inaccurate as evidenced by their CV's, Sheridan's points return and bookmaker odds on the eve of the season. I can't dispute we have some poor players but 5 points from 7 games - 5 against other struggling sides - teamed with 3 poor cup showings is completely unacceptable and he'll know it himself.

Anyone who attended any pre season friendlies against any tier side knew this squad was poor. We struggled against them all. 

7 minutes ago, Lags said:

Anyone who attended any pre season friendlies against any tier side knew this squad was poor. We struggled against them all. 

Poor team performances easily give an impression of inadequate players. We've seen plenty look crap in a Latics shirt but do well elsewhere.

Clearly the first team needs investment but the current lot should be doing better, no doubt about it.

3 hours ago, Careca9 said:

rooney twice nat player of year. Angol won promotion through nat league. Hogan won promotion twice with Salford and was okayed of year. Maynard finished 2nd with Solihull last year played 30 games. Mcgahey threlkeld both played in championship. Hope promoted with bury from league two 

Add Clarke, Gardner, Tollit, Porter and Big Mike all with pedigree for this level. And now Kitching and Abraham. And Stobbs and Leutwiler 🤠

12 hours ago, PeteG said:

Don't think anyone is expecting any manager to turn this lot into great players. What a lot of us might expect is to see some improvement no matter how small and I think that's how you judge a manager. If you can consistently see improvement you can give him as long as you like as you'd be moving forward. We've seen nothing so far and his lack of experience as a manager and more so his knowledge of this level is a worry and an experiment you can't just stick with for the sake of it.

We saw improvement V Wrexham in the league all be it for 65 mins. Fondop as a player has improved and looks fitter than he did pre Unsworth. You can try as a manager to eliminate mistakes made by your team, talk to them, coach them, help them and on the training pitch they may appear world beaters ..... put them on the stage and they fluff their lines. Did Rooney and Maynard and Sheron become poor by pulling on a blue shirt? They were all winners and now appears they cant pass a ball. My company have been trying to be agile and digital first since 2009 and thirteen years on we are still turning it around..... I dont expect it to take 13 years for OAFC to become vastly improved but I fully expected it to be longer than 12 weeks. I imagine that the culture shock for many including the manager has been far deeper than initially expected. 

Archived