MATCH: vs Wrecsam (A) 06/11/22 FA Cup 1st Rd 12.30 🏆

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reason we are losing games from what I have seen (home games) are in tennis terms unforced errors. Constantly giving the ball to the opposing team and not enough care taken when defending. There was no reason Okagbue deftly cushioned his header right to the feet of the oncoming opposition player. There was no reason that Clarkes pass ratio was better when the ball landed at the feet of a player in red. Yes the manager can drop them .... but 433 4321 532 makes little difference until the silly mistakes stop. Where the formation makes it harder to win as we will inevitably concede and the gulf between defense and attack gets bigger as soon as we concede. 

29 minutes ago, andy_b_100 said:

The reason we are losing games from what I have seen (home games) are in tennis terms unforced errors. Constantly giving the ball to the opposing team and not enough care taken when defending. There was no reason Okagbue deftly cushioned his header right to the feet of the oncoming opposition player. There was no reason that Clarkes pass ratio was better when the ball landed at the feet of a player in red. Yes the manager can drop them .... but 433 4321 532 makes little difference until the silly mistakes stop. Where the formation makes it harder to win as we will inevitably concede and the gulf between defense and attack gets bigger as soon as we concede. 

Mistakes are made because we are on the back foot and don't take it to teams, how many times have Sheron, Clarke, Angol aimlessly hoofed the ball away to an opposition player in recent weeks, they cant be coaching or encouraging them to do that.

Teams overload against us further up the pitch because of our defensive formation, if we played 4 at the back other teams wouldn't be able to commit as many men forward in case the play breaks down for them, look at our own second goal against Yeovil where Yeovil were happy at 1-0 down to commit every man and his dog to attack because they knew we'd sit in, they got done but it's basically risk and reward, we struggle when we go in front because it's just a numbers game and the reason why you need a manager whose not rigid but tactically astute.

Granted some players have shortcomings but you can't set them up to fail.

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Mistakes are made because we are on the back foot and don't take it to teams, how many times have Sheron, Clarke, Angol aimlessly hoofed the ball away to an opposition player in recent weeks, they cant be coaching or encouraging them to do that.

Teams overload against us further up the pitch because of our defensive formation, if we played 4 at the back other teams wouldn't be able to commit as many men forward in case the play breaks down for them, look at our own second goal against Yeovil where Yeovil were happy at 1-0 down to commit every man and his dog to attack because they knew we'd sit in, they got done but it's basically risk and reward, we struggle when we go in front because it's just a numbers game and the reason why you need a manager whose not rigid but tactically astute.

Granted some players have shortcomings but you can't set them up to fail.

I don’t even want to think about how many times Sheron just twats the ball to an opposition player 😂

On 11/8/2022 at 3:38 PM, Lags said:

I always remember Brian Clough's Nottingham Forest side that everyone said was too good to go down. They did.

The fact of the matter is, we are where we are. Hopefully the side you've mentioned can get a run games together and climb away from the bottom 4.

EDIT: Get Clarke away from the side

They didn't look that good when we were 5-0 up after about 50 minutes at Boundary Park.

No one is ever too good to go down. The best Oldham side (on paper and sometimes on the pitch) in the last 10 years was the one that was relegated from League 1.

30 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

They didn't look that good when we were 5-0 up after about 50 minutes at Boundary Park.

No one is ever too good to go down. The best Oldham side (on paper and sometimes on the pitch) in the last 10 years was the one that was relegated from League 1.

Was that the side with Byrne in it, there was a lot going on behind the scenes at that time, Byrne was frozen out although the broken leg incident didn't help. 

17 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Was that the side with Byrne in it, there was a lot going on behind the scenes at that time, Byrne was frozen out although the broken leg incident didn't help. 

The broken leg incident was after we had been relegated in close season.

Byrne had been troublesome at every club he had been at before Oldham but I find it hard to believe he deliberately broke another players leg as the club alluded too.

Especially as there was zero police involvement 

5 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

The broken leg incident was after we had been relegated in close season.

Byrne had been troublesome at every club he had been at before Oldham but I find it hard to believe he deliberately broke another players leg as the club alluded too.

Especially as there was zero police involvement 

I didn't think the club alluded to it, thought it was just social media ? 

...and it'd be virtually impossible to prove a player deliberately broke someone's leg so police involvement would be very doubtful.

13 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

...and it'd be virtually impossible to prove a player deliberately broke someone's leg so police involvement would be very doubtful.

Ok 

The club suspended him for a "serious" disciplinary issue right after he broke Fane's leg

And sports people do get prosecuted for acts on the field, hard to prove yes, but not unheard of 

17 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

And in his own words 

https://extra.ie/2020/03/17/sport/soccernews/jack-byrne-oldham-incident

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

It wasn’t the best as they went down but I agree it had the most talent. What it didn’t have was any fight, determination or desire as it wa as team of mercenaries. Hence working hard, getting stuck in are key to good sides. Something missing from this lot at the mo 

13 hours ago, Pidge said:

To many players in that team stopped playing towards the end of that season because of AL. It wasn’t a lack of fight so much as a protest. 

Yes..... if only. Richie Wellens had the team playing some of the best football we had seen for years - it was delightful to watch. Then, it suddenly went sour and we ended up going down. Many blamed Wellens. A manager whose team now sit at the top of League 2 - and who won manager of the month 2 months running in August and September this year. I remember being at the Northampton game that sent us down and just observing some of our players. Craig Davies, for example, came on as a sub and you could see he just literally did not give a damn. Looking back, it seems clearer now that there was some kind of "revolt" going on amongst the players; and I suspect it was more against the poison within the club rather than the manager etc. 

Will we ever have a chance of getting Wellens back as manager? (i.e. now there has been a purge of the poison within). Probably not... but exactly the type of manager we need.

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

Yes..... if only. Richie Wellens had the team playing some of the best football we had seen for years - it was delightful to watch. Then, it suddenly went sour and we ended up going down. Many blamed Wellens. A manager whose team now sit at the top of League 2 - and who won manager of the month 2 months running in August and September this year. I remember being at the Northampton game that sent us down and just observing some of our players. Craig Davies, for example, came on as a sub and you could see he just literally did not give a damn. Looking back, it seems clearer now that there was some kind of "revolt" going on amongst the players; and I suspect it was more against the poison within the club rather than the manager etc. 

Will we ever have a chance of getting Wellens back as manager? (i.e. now there has been a purge of the poison within). Probably not... but exactly the type of manager we need.

The squad Wellens had at his disposal would be like a World Cup squad next to this lot but he was pissing against the wind with Mo & Co…..I don’t blame him in the slightest for our relegation!!

11 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

The squad Wellens had at his disposal would be like a World Cup squad next to this lot but he was pissing against the wind with Mo & Co…..I don’t blame him in the slightest for our relegation!!

Totally agree—we were brilliant when we won at Portsmouth!

• Matt unfeatured this topic

Archived