MATCH: vs Wrecsam (A) 06/11/22 FA Cup 1st Rd 12.30 🏆

13 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

I agree. The teams in this league are as poor at back as us if you play in their half. They make mistakes and don’t mark just like us. I get he wants to make us solid but he openly admits we make individual errors. He knows we can’t keep clean sheets. It’s the persisting with something that isn’t working that irritates

He said recently he's given most 9 games and that would change, yet many are still selected.

Praises the signing of Carty and Abrahams, but never starts one is now unhappy with the other.

Hope is flying in training, but never got off the ground yesterday.

Talks in riddles.

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Barnet will commit men forward on Saturday they scored 5 at Wrexham a couple of weeks ago although conceded 7, tough game if we are hoping to nick it 1-0.

'Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life', Eric Idle (livejournal.com)

"Alright, so your team's losing fifteen-nil at home to Barnet!"

I remember listening to this in the early 90s and thinking "Ha! Just imagine!  That would never happen to us!" 😬

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Barnet will commit men forward on Saturday they scored 5 at Wrexham a couple of weeks ago although conceded 7, tough game if we are hoping to nick it 1-0.

If he parks the bus again, we'll get battered 

A mere glimpse of learning from previous lost games is now imperative and on home soil, even more so.

Get doing and win at all costs!

19 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

If he parks the bus again, we'll get battered 

A mere glimpse of learning from previous lost games is now imperative and on home soil, even more so.

Get doing and win at all costs!

he’s been lucky we have been playing away for the last 3 games and his dugout has been away from our support. I’m sure there will be plenty in the main stand who will let him no what they think if he sets up with 5 at back and we get beat on sat 

So I watched it back again today before I posted here. 

Cooper can't run,  Clarke is useless, sheron isn't NL standard and being used as a jack of all trades.  Maynard is not a CB.

We play far too deep with a sole striker and cannot put 2 passes together in transition. The opposition no matter who they are have the freedom of the park to attack us. 

Tollitt needs to play a role that's forward thinking, he's not a midfield player who tracks and tackles. The lad can run with the ball and can score,  that's his strength. Fondop doesn't convince me. He can have moments but moments are not enough. 

What on earth was DU thinking playing loots? He should never get picked for the bench let alone start.  Shocking.

I thought Kitching was a promising debut and put in some good crosses that begged to be attacked with meaning. So looking forward to see what he can do for us. Hope we know about, he was bobbins last season bar one game,  for me he's not good enough. 

Big big game this Saturday,  we have to win that. No ifs or buts.

2 hours ago, Careca9 said:

I’d say they should be given min 12 weeks or 15-20 games to implement ideas and tactics. A failure to produce reasonable returns in that period and you should lose your job.

if you have a prior track record of success in a similar role then you prob deserve a bit longer. If u chronically underperformed in your first Mgmt role in or out of football you would likely be gone around that point.

And here lies the problem with the section of our fan base that wants Unsworth out.....

If you start any job that needs an absolutely massive rebuild which I think all will agree we do, in any occupation including football, you should be given at least 30 days to assess the situation then 6/12 months to deliver on the plan you proposed and agreed with the board...unless culturally you just don't fit, in which case it's the boards fault.

Clearly the board agree with DU's vision and will continue to back him within reason I think.

Do I think DU is doing a good job at the moment....no not really, but not sure what else he can do with the tools he has available, except maybe be a bit braver in his formation

Do I feel a bit sorry for him based the squad he has inherited....yes absolutely - they are abysmal 

It's his first job in management, and as I've said before Big Joe was pretty shit his early days and the football we played dire on regular accasions, but it got us to place in the end where we never imagined we could ever get to.

Not saying we will ever be there again, but it's 48 days...yes 48 long days, since he was appointed, and we need to give him more time to get things sorted and assemble at least half of the team he wants to get us out of this league...preferably upwards not downwards!!

I'll be judging him based on what he can do with his own recruits, not the shite he inhertited from Shez.

He may turn out to be crap and out of his depth, but at this point it's unfiar to judge him, so come on we need to at least give him time to have a good crack at it.

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

He said recently he's given most 9 games and that would change, yet many are still selected.

Praises the signing of Carty and Abrahams, but never starts one is now unhappy with the other.

Hope is flying in training, but never got off the ground yesterday.

Talks in riddles.

Be interested to know what your formation and starting 11 would be against Barnet from what we have fit and available?

4 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

in any occupation including football, you should be given at least 30 days to assess the situation then 6/12 months to deliver on the plan you proposed and agreed with the board.

Have to disagree. Football management  is different to most other occupations. How long a manager gets is dependent upon improvements made and ultimately results. 
If there is zero sign of progress then 6 to 12 months is just not sustainable.

3 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Have to disagree. Football management  is different to most other occupations. How long a manager gets is dependent upon improvements made and ultimately results. 

100% 

Everyone wants stability. . . . until you can’t a win game. 

If he doesn’t start winning, and quickly  - he loses his job. And so he should if he can’t do what he is paid for. 

17 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

And here lies the problem with the section of our fan base that wants Unsworth out.....

If you start any job that needs an absolutely massive rebuild which I think all will agree we do, in any occupation including football, you should be given at least 30 days to assess the situation then 6/12 months to deliver on the plan you proposed and agreed with the board...unless culturally you just don't fit, in which case it's the boards fault.

Clearly the board agree with DU's vision and will continue to back him within reason I think.

Do I think DU is doing a good job at the moment....no not really, but not sure what else he can do with the tools he has available, except maybe be a bit braver in his formation

Do I feel a bit sorry for him based the squad he has inherited....yes absolutely - they are abysmal 

It's his first job in management, and as I've said before Big Joe was pretty shit his early days and the football we played dire on regular accasions, but it got us to place in the end where we never imagined we could ever get to.

Not saying we will ever be there again, but it's 48 days...yes 48 long days, since he was appointed, and we need to give him more time to get things sorted and assemble at least half of the team he wants to get us out of this league...preferably upwards not downwards!!

I'll be judging him based on what he can do with his own recruits, not the shite he inhertited from Shez.

He may turn out to be crap and out of his depth, but at this point it's unfiar to judge him, so come on we need to at least give him time to have a good crack at it.

24 games in, if he’s won 2 games in that time are you keeping him ? He’s not showing enough, he’s not showing anything. 

Just now, TheBigDog said:

It's only been 48 days though....and I recon it's virtually impossible to improve most of our current lot.

He's had arguably the spine of the team he inherited, and some of the biggest earners, out injured since he arrived.

Whats the alternative? He needs at least one transfer window surely, and 10 games or so after that to know if he's got it in him? 

Just now, LightDN123 said:

24 games in, if he’s won 2 games in that time are you keeping him ? He’s not showing enough, he’s not showing anything. 

He was appointed 48 days ago, and inherited the worst squad by some distance in our history....it's crap I know but it's been crap for the past 25 years

28 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

The basis of a lot of people's argument for keeping Unsworth is that Joe Royle started off crap 40 years ago.  By that logic - we should keep faith with any old muppet who comes along for years on the off chance they'll turn into the next greatest manager we've ever had.  Absolutely bonkers.

People are going on about what a tough job the Oldham managers job is - it's an absolute piece of piss.  We don't need to show an iota of progression on the pitch because of this "restructuring" that's going on.  There are literally no targets to hit...and that is just wrong.

It's tough shit that he hasn't got the players.  It's tough shit that the infrastructure isn't in place yet.  He knew the deal and it's his job to get the best out of the cards he's dealt.  To whinge about players not being good enough now is a complete cop out.  It's Unsworth's job to make these players better or an least get them organised and motivated, so he should do it.  Or step aside.

2 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

IMO DU has made one big mistake. In fact he should be this noticeboards hero! He has told the players they aren’t good enough, and given the impression that most will not be playing for him in the future.  There are so many in the squad who can’t be arsed to prove him wrong. Their reason for that being a lot of them are at the end of their careers, or past hoping/believing that they may one day play at a much higher level.

This leaves DU no plan B.  He has to bring in enough players who have pride and a belief that they are better then the League where we are presently in, to make a difference. We all know that most of the squad which needs replacement. There is no point in signing more experienced players on the way down, so that reduces the possibilities.

DU should have kept his own counsel, and his plan to replace everyone should be secret. He should have tried to encourage some effort from these players by a “show them you are better” approach rather then “if you don’t perform better you’ll never player for me”.

We are left with the only option of watching, (or staying at home) till this new management team finds us a new team.

17 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

It's only been 48 days though....and I recon it's virtually impossible to improve most of our current lot.

He's had arguably the spine of the team he inherited, and some of the biggest earners, out injured since he arrived.

Whats the alternative? He needs at least one transfer window surely, and 10 games or so after that to know if he's got it in him? 

I don’t disagree with the mitigating circumstances but if performances and results don’t improve then he will not and, in my opinion, should not be given time if it looks like he will take us into the National League North 😱

3 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

He’s trying to bring a premier league mentally to 5th division players. It’s so naive. The players aren’t great- because guess what, they’re 5th division players. He’s playing a formation that he likes instead of what will make it easier for limited players. He’s publicly digging out players, because they aren’t clever enough to play in his system. Non of the above is about time or how many games. They are his choices, and his choices are reflecting our results. 

That squad has more than enough to stay in this league. If he carries on the way he is, we’re going down. 

27 minutes ago, JoeP said:

The basis of a lot of people's argument for keeping Unsworth is that Joe Royle started off crap 40 years ago.  By that logic - we should keep faith with any old muppet who comes along for years on the off chance they'll turn into the next greatest manager we've ever had.  Absolutely bonkers.

People are going on about what a tough job the Oldham managers job is - it's an absolute piece of piss.  We don't need to show an iota of progression on the pitch because of this "restructuring" that's going on.  There are literally no targets to hit...and that is just wrong.

It's tough shit that he hasn't got the players.  It's tough shit that the infrastructure isn't in place yet.  He knew the deal and it's his job to get the best out of the cards he's dealt.  To whinge about players not being good enough now is a complete cop out.  It's Unsworth's job to make these players better or an least get them organised and motivated, so he should do it.  Or step aside.

Perhaps Unsworth knew the players  weren’t good enough, perhaps the board knew too. Perhaps they spoke about it and knew it would be January before any real progress could be made.

Unsworth said they (the players) were a good bunch and he had been impressed with their attitude but he could hardly be totally honest as he has to try and get a tune out of them somehow!

Curle couldn’t get a tune out of the majority of this lot, Shez, even after adding several additions couldn’t either.

FFS!!!!!……This is without doubt the worst squad of players I’ve seen at the club in over 60 years. Give Unsworth some slack, we won’t go down, however, if we are in a similar state showing little progress this time next year that will be the time to question his credentials!!

11 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Perhaps Unsworth knew the players  weren’t good enough, perhaps the board knew too. Perhaps they spoke about it and knew it would be January before any real progress could be made.

Unsworth said they (the players) were a good bunch and he had been impressed with their attitude but he could hardly be totally honest as he has to try and get a tune out of them somehow!

Curle couldn’t get a tune out of the majority of this lot, Shez, even after adding several additions couldn’t either.

FFS!!!!!……This is without doubt the worst squad of players I’ve seen at the club in over 60 years. Give Unsworth some slack, we won’t go down, however, if we are in a similar state showing little progress this time next year that will be the time to question his credentials!!

We won't go down?  Phew..

Hell of a shout writing off the season until January on the off chance he turns it round.

As I say, easy gig if he isn't expected to get the best out of what he's got until then..

2 minutes ago, JoeP said:

We won't go down?  Phew..

Hell of a shout writing off the season until January on the off chance he turns it round.

As I say, easy gig if he isn't expected to get the best out of what he's got until then..

Maybe this is the best he or anyone else could get out of them?

13 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I love your capitals FFS in the middle- it’s like your arguing with yourself. 😂

No manager in the history of football is immune from winning games, otherwise what are you saying? Don’t judge him on the first 30/40 games. . . It’s laughable. 

If it carries on- he should get sacked. 

1 hour ago, Londonboy said:

He was appointed 48 days ago, and inherited the worst squad by some distance in our history....it's crap I know but it's been crap for the past 25 years

But Shez and Tommy got more out of these lot ? They might be crap, but you can still setup a crap team to play a certain way. We struggled against Chester for fuck sake, it’s not like he’s setting them up to play United. We are crap fine, but we are struggling against teams that are equally as shit! 

Archived