The not quite halfway season review and expectations.

8 hours ago, League one forever said:

My point is- even if we click, (which is massively debatable under Unsy) and we start winning more, it’s still going to take a big effort just to stay up. 

this is not true. it takes 1point per game to stay up and we are already doing this with no effort, a shit team and random formations. therefore it must take no effort to stay up and get this 5th bottom you are willing to accept (🤮)

now, if we add this 'big effort' you (and me and 99% other Latics fans) want, then we will win the World Cup.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best player so far? - Fondop

Biggest disappointment so far? - Unsworth (and I didn't think it would work at the off but certainly didn't expect him to be this bad).

Which formation works best for us? - whichever one the next manager goes with

How many players will be at the club before the last game of the season? - 7312

Where will we finish? - bottom four if Unsworth stays, might stay up if he doesn't

Will Unsworth still be in charge in the summer? - no 

Merry Christmas everybody! 😃

Best player so far? - Fondop

Biggest disappointment so far? - The fans wanting Unsworth binned after a handful of matches ... and equally Unsworth for letting them by losing a few 

Which formation works best for us? - 4-3-3 seems to be the answer 

How many players will be at the club before the last game of the season? - less than there are today

Where will we finish? - Above the bottom 4 

Will Unsworth still be in charge in the summer? - Yes 

Best player - Tollitt

Biggest disappointment - Although I think things will eventually get better, it has to be Unsworth’s poor start. Especially after the fanfare of the takeover.

Best formation - anything with two strikers, please god..

How many players left - a good 4 or 5 to leave before May I reckon.

Finish - 14th

Unsworth still here - aye.

Best player so far? - Tollitt but special mention for Fondop who I think has been good when he's been playing. 

Biggest disappointment so far? - Has to be DU. I was skeptical when they brought him in, I really wanted an experienced manager who'd had success at this level. Having said that, when he came in and talked about his vision for the club, the B team, the academy, I bought in. I really started to believe that we could build off a stable base of having an ambitious manager with a vision for a number of years. I was and still am desperate for it to work with him, even though I feel less like it will with every passing week. 

Which formation works best for us? - 4-3-3 switching to a 4-4-2 when needed

How many players will be at the club before the last game of the season? - probably quite a few less than now

Where will we finish? - I'm going to go with blind optimism and say mid table, good form at the back end of the season that carries through to next season with the same starting 11 pushing for promotion. 

Will Unsworth still be in charge in the summer? - it's a yes but not by much. 

6 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

do you get a semi when you see an opportunity to pick out a line of text and use it to wimper out more paragraphs.....

No I don't Monty - it's a full blown erection, the size of Florida.

Merry Christmas 😜

Best player so far?
Ben Tollitt. Raw, but the type of player you pay to see. 

Biggest disappointment so far? 

Might be an unpopular answer but I think Hogan. Has looked slow and error prone but hopefully it's down to rustiness and injuries.

Which formation works best for us? 

We've always looked disjointed playing anything other than 4-4-2, however the three pronged attack at home to Torquay gave me hope for optimism. We looked a genuine threat.

How many players will be at the club before the last game of the season? 

50% less than are on the current books. Has to be a big cull.

Where will we finish? 
Mid-table after a new year revival. Technically the play-offs are within reach (just). However we've shown no signs we're remotely capable of winning 15 from 20. We'll win around half of them.

Will Unsworth still be in charge in the summer?

Yes, without a doubt. Whether you want that or not, you have to be realistic to expect this to be the case given the armoury the club is allowing him to assemble. It screams long term to me.

7 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

this is not true. it takes 1point per game to stay up and we are already doing this with no effort, a shit team and random formations. therefore it must take no effort to stay up and get this 5th bottom you are willing to accept (🤮)

now, if we add this 'big effort' you (and me and 99% other Latics fans) want, then we will win the World Cup.

I was half cut last night, and my maths may be slightly wrong. . . 👀😂

Still think we’ll do well from here just to stay up. 

37 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Biggest disappointment so far? 

Might be an unpopular answer but I think Hogan. Has looked slow and error prone but hopefully it's down to rustiness and injuries.

Yeah, the centre back pairing of Clarke and Hogan causes us a lot of problems. They'll do alright against a team that just lump it but, when teams try and play in the gaps between defence and midfield, like Solihull and Barnet did recently, they're a liability. The logical thing for me would be to not renew Clarke's loan and get a younger centre half alongside Hogan, simply cos Hogan is sat on a 2 year deal so won't be going anywhere...

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Yeah, the centre back pairing of Clarke and Hogan causes us a lot of problems. They'll do alright against a team that just lump it but, when teams try and play in the gaps between defence and midfield, like Solihull and Barnet did recently, they're a liability. The logical thing for me would be to not renew Clarke's loan and get a younger centre half alongside Hogan, simply cos Hogan is sat on a 2 year deal so won't be going anywhere...

How far off is Sutton, do we know?

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

We're saddled with a lot of poor players all of similar profiles - some previous success in non-league but deemed not good enough for the dizzy heights of League Two and mostly well past their best/when they were a bit less shit.

And we're digging this hole even bigger most recently by (apparently) pushing the boat out for another one from the only team worse than us who didn't want to come 5 minutes ago.

With more to follow despite that fact a lot of EFL players will become available in just a few weeks.

So scattergun. I really am worried. 

4 hours ago, andy_b_100 said:

Biggest disappointment so far? - The fans wanting Unsworth binned after a handful of matches ... and equally Unsworth for letting them by losing a few 

I'm very much in the middle with Unsworth, neither clamouring for his departure nor being too bothered if he was to be axed. But I completely understand why fans would want him sacked. He's come in and taken us from 15th to the relegation zone. Sheridan got more wins from what is largely recognised to be a poorer Oldham squad...

Best player - Tollit’s done ok, and he's on his own in that respect really.

Biggest disappointment - The speed at which people turned on Shez. Three games in and the Shez out bandwagon started.

How many players at the end of the season - I’ve no idea how many we’ve got now, but about three less.

Where will we finish - Between 14th-17th.

Will Unsworth still be here? - Yes

4 hours ago, League one forever said:

Won’t matter Dave. 

Ex academy coach Unsy doesn’t want youth anywhere near the first team on a regular basis. He’s not brave enough. If Clarke goes back- I expect another experienced relatively high earner to sign. 

Apparently in his Q&A with the Chron, he spoke favourably about Sutton

5 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Which makes sense but is horrible given we know how Clarke can bring on younger centre half partners and also give confidence to the keeper like he did with Ripley.

Hogan is way off it and the County fans told us he would be.

6 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Although, after watching the (simply superb) video released tonight, seems like Clarke is going nowhere...

Archived