The not quite halfway season review and expectations.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Best player so far?  Tollit

Biggest disappointment so far? 
Being in the bottom 4

Which formation works best for us? 

Winning formation 

How many players will be at the club before the last game of the season?  27

Where will we finish?  9th

Will Unsworth still be in charge in the summer?  Yes

51 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Best player so far?

Tollitt

results

How many players will be at the club before the last game of the season? 

Where will we finish? 

7th

Will Unsworth still be in charge in the summer? 

Aye.

Best player so far? Tollitt

Biggest disappointment so far? Terribly slow start

Which formation works best for us? Arsed

How many players will be at the club before the last game of the season? Arsed

Where will we finish? 13th

Will Unsworth still be in charge in the summer? Yes

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Best player so far? Tollitt.

Biggest disappointment so far? Lack of a cohesive team.

Which formation works best for us? Like Unsworth, I've no idea.

How many players will be at the club before the last game of the season? 27.

Where will we finish? 16th.

Will Unsworth still be in charge in the summer? Yes.

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

Best player so far? None

Biggest disappointment so far? Unsworth

Which formation works best for us? Haven't seen it yet but not the 7-2-1

How many players will be at the club before the last game of the season? Who knows

Where will we finish? 16th

Will Unsworth still be in charge in the summer? Unfortunately yes, gone by next Christmas. 

Best player so far? Probably Ben Tollitt

Biggest disappointment so far? The long drive home from Bromley after being bummed 3-0.

Which formation works best for us? 4-4-2 probably. Definitely one that suits two front men.

How many players will be at the club before the last game of the season? 30.

Where will we finish? 13th.

Will Unsworth still be in charge in the summer? Yes...

Best player so far?

It speaks volumes about the general poor individual performances that there is only in player in contention - Ben Tollit

Looking second best in the majority of games - constantly outplayed by some average teams.

With the current squad 4-3-3 I reckon.

Nah.

Where will we finish? 

Top half

Probably.

3 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Norman

Ker Ching

Hogan

Clarke

Sheron

Gardner

Peck

Chapman

Tollitt

Nuttall

Reid

is a good side. a better than good side.

Not with Gardner in there, backwards, sideways, slows the game down and hands the momentum to the opposition.

Tolitt, possibly Norman but it's a low bar. Hope we can hang on to Timmy, because I think he has the potential to offer a lot and become a fans favourite.

Unsworth.

We've yet to discover it, but it definitely isn't one up front.

More than the club would like.

Lower mid-table, hopefully..

I fear so.

Best player so far?

Seems we are all in agreement Tollit has been our best performer credit to him he's been good in a struggling team and with better players around him hopefully those performances will continue.

Mmmm playerswise you could probably say we could have expected more from Dan Gardner but he's been injured. Results have been dissapointing but this was the transitional season we've done this debate right?

Think 4-3-3 is being muted as the preferred choice. But even at this level you have to play multiple formations successfully to get out of it Plan A,B,C etc. Alot of people seem to want 4-4-2 or 2 upfront. Where I think this is an option it's not the silver bullet that some people think it is.

Over 30 we will get rid of a few but getting players out the door when they are under contract isn't always easy, players will have families and bills to pay but at the same time I don't think any want to rot away kicking their heels on a saturday. Expect to see a few go out on loan. Ideally you want to start next season with a good group of players between about 22-25 in number.

Where will we finish? 

14th results will get better its inevitable.

Yes he will ride out this storm pressure will ease on him as results pick up. Those calling for his head now many will maintain doubts, but what they really want is wins for Oldham Athletic so as they come their views on Unsworth will soften. It doesn't make them fickle.

20 hours ago, League one forever said:

Let's be brutally honest. When DU was appointed and there was all the hullabaloo about the quality of the backroom staff, the experience on the board etc. did anyone expect us to be in the league position we now find ourselves in? Certainly not me - the generally dire performances on the pitch have surprised (and worried) me.

So, without a doubt, biggest disappointment has to be DU. For some bizarre reason, he gets an easy ride from a lot of people. Witness, for example, the optimism after the brilliant 0-0 draw at Maidstone. Long break followed for DU to gather the troops and gel new players - and then we get beat by Solihull Moors and Boreham Wood. If Shez had been in charge, some would have wanted him hung, drawn and quartered in Royton precinct after those losses.

I do not think he's the man for the job and will hold us back for a long time if we allow him to continue long-term. We won't be relegated this season because he's being backed with lots of cash. A genuinely good manager, with the same financial backing, would have us shooting up the table and have us in the play-offs before the end of the season. Unsworth won't - because he's proving to be a poor manager.

16 minutes ago, True Tic said:

The “turning point” he speaks of might be put on hold for another ten days or so bearing in mind we play Notts County twice over Christmas 

Yeah Im expecting the upward curve to really begin in January.

The bottom of all of this is likely to come at some point during those 2 games with Notts County.

Best player so far?  Tollitt 

Biggest disappointment so far? Rooney but there’s been a slight improvement lately 

Which formation works best for us? Any attacking formation 

How many players will be at the club before the last game of the season? 25

Where will we finish? Mid table hopefully 🤞

Will Unsworth still be in charge in the summer? Yes

Best player so far? Ben Tollitt for me too, a bright spark in the gloom. Positive, driving runs and not afraid to shoot. Well deserved contract extension. Honourable mention for Mikey Fondop.

Biggest disappointment so far? Bromley was awful but has to be Unsworth for me. I couldn't believe how bad we were in his first game in charge (Bromley) and playing Junior up front on his own against a massive, experienced back line was doomed to fail. The negativity he showed towards the squad he Inherited was disrespectful and showed a major misunderstanding of human motivation. I expected our players to improve when he became manager but some got worse.

Things have improved and perhaps with his own squad he can show more positivity and build on the Torquay result.

I don't mind his 4-2-3-1 but would like to see 4-4-2 and we have to do something different away from home.

Don't know.

Where will we finish?

14th.

Will Unsworth still be in charge in the summer? 

Probably. But if we lose to Peterborough Sports and get embarrassed by Notts County, for me it would be time to pull yhe plug despite the obvious investment.

What staggers me in replies so far, is the ease in which people think we’ll be fine with final league position. (Some even saying top half😳😳😳

I’d say the average so far is about lower mid table- let’s say 12-16th for argument sake. To even do that we have to have a massive upturn in results. IE win at least double the games we have. Even then - that only gives us another 24 points- putting us on 44. You then hope we draw a few. Giving us close to 50 points. . . Gulp. 

My point is- even if we click, (which is massively debatable under Unsy) and we start winning more, it’s still going to take a big effort just to stay up. 

I’d take 5th bottom right now. 

15 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Let's be brutally honest. When DU was appointed and there was all the hullabaloo about the quality of the backroom staff, the experience on the board etc. did anyone expect us to be in the league position we now find ourselves in? Certainly not me - the generally dire performances on the pitch have surprised (and worried) me.

So, without a doubt, biggest disappointment has to be DU. For some bizarre reason, he gets an easy ride from a lot of people. Witness, for example, the optimism after the brilliant 0-0 draw at Maidstone. Long break followed for DU to gather the troops and gel new players - and then we get beat by Solihull Moors and Boreham Wood. If Shez had been in charge, some would have wanted him hung, drawn and quartered in Royton precinct after those losses.

I do not think he's the man for the job and will hold us back for a long time if we allow him to continue long-term. We won't be relegated this season because he's being backed with lots of cash. A genuinely good manager, with the same financial backing, would have us shooting up the table and have us in the play-offs before the end of the season. Unsworth won't - because he's proving to be a poor manager.

do you get a semi when you see an opportunity to pick out a line of text and use it to wimper out more paragraphs where you say nothing new you haven't already said multiple times in multiple threads?

'lets be brutally honest' < 'what you all need to understand is..'

Archived