Positive Mental Attitude

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People are the same all over,no matter what club they support. As soon as the min level is breached they will moan and boo. That for Man U may be when they aren’t in top 6 and not winning at half time. We have much lower standards but hovering over the Nat league relegation places coming off the back of a home loss without a shot and finding ourselves behind again at half time is going to drag displeasure. Whether they have played well or not they had at that point lost another half of football at home and not scored. If we see effort, people trying to play we’ve got as good a crowd as any. The reason we have a bad rep is for the last 20 years we’ve been woeful over and over with our teams getting out worked and outplayed with dire poor quality on show for £22 entrance fee. Get into mid table or god forbid top half and there’s great support 

24 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Agree with my man Shrek/Clifford/Andy here. Booing early on, or even at HT, is pretty pointless. Give it um at full time though...

You boo or you don't, there is no grey area. People who boo at half time are the same at full time, most just complain to their mates. #bestfans in the land. (for eyrsey's benefit). 

49 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

People are the same all over,no matter what club they support. As soon as the min level is breached they will moan and boo. That for Man U may be when they aren’t in top 6 and not winning at half time. We have much lower standards but hovering over the Nat league relegation places coming off the back of a home loss without a shot and finding ourselves behind again at half time is going to drag displeasure. Whether they have played well or not they had at that point lost another half of football at home and not scored. If we see effort, people trying to play we’ve got as good a crowd as any. The reason we have a bad rep is for the last 20 years we’ve been woeful over and over with our teams getting out worked and outplayed with dire poor quality on show for £22 entrance fee. Get into mid table or god forbid top half and there’s great support 

Spot on. 

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Agree with my man Shrek/Clifford/Andy here. Booing early on, or even at HT, is pretty pointless. Give it um at full time though...

This is getting really strange now

Been to a few untied games this season. They tend to try and urge their side on rather than heckle them. Had the pleasure of being at a Newcastle game this year and the same there. 

I get people want Unsworth out but seems rather than await the result people want to force the issue early. 

3 hours ago, Careca9 said:

Exactly. Imagine comparing probably the worst club to support in the top 5 divisions over the past 30 years to the most successful clubs in the country. And those clubs have still booed their teams off occasionally (United consistently over the past few years).

It's a miracle we still get fans through the gate at all. Not even a top half finish for 15 years 🤦‍♂️

It takes time for people to change their point of view. While the team was booed off at half time and there was an underlying restlessness in the crowd from the start the players, were applauded and cheered off the pitch at full time after an impressive fightback. Ive said in a previous thread that we've taken 11 points from the last 6 games we maintain that for the rest of the season (18 games) then we will gain an extra 33 points seeing us on 64 points well comfortable in mid table. At that point the crowd will be alot more at ease with the team and Boundary Park will be alot more positive. But the underlying point is we play well and win games people will feel more positive.

I do not boo the players but how else do the fans show their displeasure with the frequent dismal displays on the pitch?

Silence?

Turn our backs?

Wave white handkerchiefs?

Stop going?

At away games I just leave the ground the moment the whistle is blown. At home I tend to turn to anyone near me and say “Well that was another shocker”… before queuing for ten minutes as the old codgers struggle their way up the MSU steps 😱

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

but how else do the fans show their displeasure with the frequent dismal displays on the pitch?

This is the nub of the issue- if the booing came with us in the top six and  having had a good season overall, I’d get it. 

But it’s not. 

It’s another season of struggle, to go with the 20 before it. 

We often don’t compete, or give a nothing performance. 

Fans are especially disappointed because they see the money going into the squad. 

Like you, I don’t boo. I just mutter expletives to myself. But I do understand it. 

It’s comes down to one thing in my view. 

Do you want some fans at the game, booing but paying into the coffers. 

Or, do you want them at home thinking I can’t be arsed. 

I’d much rather have a passionate crowd who demand off the players, than apathetic happy clap crowd- who never show displeasure. 

I went to a Marseille game a few years ago, who have by far and away the best support I've ever seen (nothing comes even close in this country). They lost 2-0 at home first game of the season, the fans got behind them all match but at the end the noise was like nothing I've ever heard before. All fans of all clubs voice their displeasure if things aren't going well, as they're entitled to do. I think Oldham fans are more entitled than most given the shit we've been served up for decades. They're lucky people are in the stadium at all.

9 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I think Oldham fans are more entitled than most given the shit we've been served up for decades. They're lucky people are in the stadium at all.

Aren’t we the opposite?

Entitled to me- would be fans saying we used to be in Premier league, I’m not watching non league! 

But we don’t, we still turn up in our thousands. I’d say we have the most resilient fans in the country. 

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Aren’t we the opposite?

Entitled to me- would be fans saying we used to be in Premier league, I’m not watching non league! 

But we don’t, we still turn up in our thousands. I’d say we have the most resilient fans in the country. 

There are lots of decent fans all over the country. Even the large clubs have a strong core - it’s just that the successful clubs attract the glory seekers - people who like to be associated with success. I have known many Utd/City/Chelsea/Liverpool fans over the years who have never seen their team play live! 😮

And with this goes entitlement - these fans follow a club when it is successful and then whinge when the club falls from its lofty pedestal.

18 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

There are lots of decent fans all over the country. Even the large clubs have a strong core - it’s just that the successful clubs attract the glory seekers - people who like to be associated with success. I have known many Utd/City/Chelsea/Liverpool fans over the years who have never seen their team play live! 😮

And with this goes entitlement - these fans follow a club when it is successful and then whinge when the club falls from its lofty pedestal.

Many flocked to watch us in the pinch me years then dropped out the lower we fell.

It's the same at any club, however some faithful will go for decades come rain or shine.

Archived