Last 10 games

What do we expect from the team in the last 10 games of the season?

Barring an extremely bad run we shouldn't be in relegation trouble, but the playoffs aren't realistically in reach either.

Aside from the Wrexham match I can see us at least being competitive in every other game, but I expect Unsworth to give the team a little more freedom to attack with the way he sets us up rather than completely relying on a defensive shape that stilfles any attacking threat.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Barring an extremely bad run we shouldn't be in relegation trouble, but the playoffs aren't realistically in reach either.

Aside from the Wrexham match I can see us at least being competitive in every other game, but I expect Unsworth to give the team a little more freedom to attack with the way he sets us up rather than completely relying on a defensive shape that stilfles any attacking threat.

I t will probably the complete opposite of what you said. 

1 hour ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

but I expect Unsworth to give the team a little more freedom to attack with the way he sets us up rather than completely relying on a defensive shape that stilfles any attacking threat.

In your dreams @the_mighty_bosh

… sadly Unsworth is too focussed on team shape and defensive setup for that to happen. 

The statistics from the limp defeat at Eastleigh show that we had TWO attempts on target over the full ninety minutes, and as far as I can recall, both were in the first half. 

It was almost as if we settled for a 1-0 defeat. 

1 hour ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Results wise- a few wins/losses/Draws. 

Performance wise- more of the same hard to beat, grinding, turgid, Rhinoball. 

The real worry is- next season. 

I am absolutely convinced that this style will carry on- in every report you can find on his style at Everton- this is it. So it’s no surprise he’s just repeating it here. 

Rhinoball. . you have to win. . otherwise it’s dire. 

I expect us to win as many games as possible between  now and the end of the season and get into the top half I don't want us to hit 50 points and take the foot off the pedal. There should be no let up from here. We need to create a winning culture and finish the season strongly.

I'm not too concerned about style the only style I want us to have is a winning one. If it means playing open expansive football great if it means us grinding out 1-0's like Woking also great.

I don't care how we do it just focus on winning.

This season can't end fast enough.

for me

Completely  bored by the poor quality, defensive, both home and away ,formations.

Unsworth  makes  Penny look good. 

How we are still getting crowds around 6000 is strange but o can't see that continuing next season with him in charge.i feel sorry for Frank who has given him the funding and support to have put us in or around the playoffs.

4 minutes ago, Flemboy said:

for me

Completely  bored by the poor quality, defensive, both home and away ,formations.

How we are still getting crowds around 6000 is strange but o can't see that continuing next season with him in charge.i feel sorry for Frank who has given him the funding and support to have put us in or around the playoffs.

Easy just to throw a team together and get instant success isn't it 🥴🥴

53 minutes ago, Flemboy said:

for me

I think that Frank and the board will fund the acquisition of a few better players in the summer. There should also be a proviso that Unsworth, given the upgrade in quality, adopts a bolder more adventurous approach, 

I expect a lot more attacking football, let the other teams worry about us.

For me this season is over no play offs 😀 and no relegation. I’m sure Frank will want to sell as many season tickets as possible for next season so in that case we need to entertain more over the last 10 matches. 

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Results wise- a few wins/losses/Draws. 

Performance wise- more of the same hard to beat, grinding, turgid, Rhinoball. 

The real worry is- next season. 

I am absolutely convinced that this style will carry on- in every report you can find on his style at Everton- this is it. So it’s no surprise he’s just repeating it here. 

Rhinoball. . you have to win. . otherwise it’s dire. 

I mostly agree with this and it's what I fear.  

I actually believe that Unsworth has the players playing for him and to get the players following his organised structure is an achievement in the short term, but it can't be the end goal and the next 10 games would be a great opportunity to put an attacking strategy in place that we can build upon next season and hit the ground running.

The Wealdstone, Wrexham and Altrincham games will be a good test.  If we can take the game to Wealdstone and Altrincham with a solid defensive performance at Wrexham in between then it would show that Unsworth is able to adapt his tactics.

If the football is still this turgid 10 games into next season then I'll be convinced that Unsworth can't take us any further.  I hope he can.

24 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I mostly agree with this and it's what I fear.  

I actually believe that Unsworth has the players playing for him and to get the players following his organised structure is an achievement in the short term, but it can't be the end goal and the next 10 games would be a great opportunity to put an attacking strategy in place that we can build upon next season and hit the ground running.

The Wealdstone, Wrexham and Altrincham games will be a good test.  If we can take the game to Wealdstone and Altrincham with a solid defensive performance at Wrexham in between then it would show that Unsworth is able to adapt his tactics.

If the football is still this turgid 10 games into next season then I'll be convinced that Unsworth can't take us any further.  I hope he can.

They don't have the players to adopt an attacking strategy even if they wanted to, they only have one player in Rooney who can look after the ball to any degree.

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

They don't have the players to adopt an attacking strategy even if they wanted to, they only have one player in Rooney who can look after the ball to any degree.

Disagree. 

Tollit

Green

Abraham

Burgess 

Rooney

Kitching

Sutton (As a right back) 

All offer attacking threat. 

Looking after the ball should be Sheron and Shelton’s job and isn’t the same as attacking threat. It’s their job to win the ball and give it to the players above to create for the front two. 

Unfortunately Unsy doesn’t want to play people in their natural position which nullifies the creative players and makes it seem like we haven’t got any. 

We clearly have. 

40 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Agreed, and I want the exact same. 

Wont happen though. 

I've changed my tune about style of play from where I was a couple of weeks ago. This will sound snobbish but as I was sat there on Saturday I was just a bit fed up of these grounds. I took my kids (7 and 5) and they just hated it. It's cold (not Eastleigh's fault!), there's no atmosphere created by the home fans, the facilities are basic and the football is attritional.  But even if the football was more technical it wouldn't have impacted on their enjoyment at their age.  I've taken them to a few games this season and the only ones they've enjoyed have been Torquay away and Aldershot at home.  Games at proper football grounds with decent support on both sides is just more exciting for them.

I just want out of this league however that needs to happen! So I looked at the points needed for promotion. Over the last 10 seasons the average points per game (seasons have had differing lengths) for automatic promotion has been 1.9. The average for 7th place has been 1.6.  Our ppg since the new year when Unsworth changed his plans is 1.7.  And the football has got a little bit better since I was moaning about style of play after Aldershot away (#notsustainable). 

Assuming Wrexham and Notts County go up this season I would have thought the league will be a lot closer next season so ppg for automatic promotion would be at the lower end of the last 10 seasons so around 1.8/1.9.  So what I want out of the next 10 games is somewhere in the region of 19-22 points. That would get our average for 2023 to up around the 1.8/1.9 mark.  The closer we can get to that level of ppg the better, and if we can add some more quality over the summer then I see us having a real shot of automatic promotion next season. Whatever style that comes in. And for me, getting back into the football league has to be the absolute top priority over and above playing attractive football.

42 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I've changed my tune about style of play from where I was a couple of weeks ago. This will sound snobbish but as I was sat there on Saturday I was just a bit fed up of these grounds. I took my kids (7 and 5) and they just hated it. It's cold (not Eastleigh's fault!), there's no atmosphere created by the home fans, the facilities are basic and the football is attritional.  But even if the football was more technical it wouldn't have impacted on their enjoyment at their age.  I've taken them to a few games this season and the only ones they've enjoyed have been Torquay away and Aldershot at home.  Games at proper football grounds with decent support on both sides is just more exciting for them.

I just want out of this league however that needs to happen! So I looked at the points needed for promotion. Over the last 10 seasons the average points per game (seasons have had differing lengths) for automatic promotion has been 1.9. The average for 7th place has been 1.6.  Our ppg since the new year when Unsworth changed his plans is 1.7.  And the football has got a little bit better since I was moaning about style of play after Aldershot away (#notsustainable). 

Assuming Wrexham and Notts County go up this season I would have thought the league will be a lot closer next season so ppg for automatic promotion would be at the lower end of the last 10 seasons so around 1.8/1.9.  So what I want out of the next 10 games is somewhere in the region of 19-22 points. That would get our average for 2023 to up around the 1.8/1.9 mark.  The closer we can get to that level of ppg the better, and if we can add some more quality over the summer then I see us having a real shot of automatic promotion next season. Whatever style that comes in. And for me, getting back into the football league has to be the absolute top priority over and above playing attractive football.

You’re absolutely right that the only aim should be getting out of this hellhole as quickly as possible. In terms of style of play, there are many ways to skin a cat. Wrexham and Notts have very differing styles - Wrexham more akin to what Unsworth is trying here. 

It works for Wrexham not just because they’ve got quality players but because they attack with intensity and get bodies up the pitch quickly. I’d have no issue with a more rudimentary style if we were doing that. I think there have been signs of us getting there eg Barnet but we’re still far too passive and defensively minded and that makes it very boring. Having just a couple of shots on goal shouldn’t be tolerated in any game at this level. 

For the rest of the season I’d like to see us have a go at teams and play with a confidence about us. We also need to end with some momentum so hitting the promotion ppg thresholds are key to confirming that there’s progress being made.

Just now, south east latic said:

You’re absolutely right that the only aim should be getting out of this hellhole as quickly as possible. In terms of style of play, there are many ways to skin a cat. Wrexham and Notts have very differing styles - Wrexham more akin to what Unsworth is trying here. 

It works for Wrexham not just because they’ve got quality players but because they attack with intensity and get bodies up the pitch quickly. I’d have no issue with a more rudimentary style if we were doing that. I think there have been signs of us getting there eg Barnet but we’re still far too passive and defensively minded and that makes it very boring. Having just a couple of shots on goal shouldn’t be tolerated in any game at this level. 

For the rest of the season I’d like to see us have a go at teams and play with a confidence about us. We also need to end with some momentum so hitting the promotion ppg thresholds are key to confirming that there’s progress being made.

Ten games will have no bearing on next season, there is no such thing as momentum.

5 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Ten games will have no bearing on next season, there is no such thing as momentum.

Yes there is. That’s not to say we cant end this season poorly and start well next season but winning a few now, finishing top half etc all generates a feel good feeling to take into the summer 

19 minutes ago, south east latic said:

Yes there is. That’s not to say we cant end this season poorly and start well next season but winning a few now, finishing top half etc all generates a feel good feeling to take into the summer 

He's right in a way. It's hardly going to build up momentum when we have a 3 month break until our next proper match and are likely to have up to 6 new players...

I know we would all like to see a more expansive approach from the team but I  am not keen on style over substance. 

Eastleigh have won six of the last nine by 1-0. Bet their fans don't give a s*** about pretty football if they make the play offs.

Be nice if we can strike a balance but next season it is all about winning, no matter how ugly.  This is an unforgiven division.

8 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

He's right in a way. It's hardly going to build up momentum when we have a 3 month break until our next proper match and are likely to have up to 6 new players...

I think it’s about a winning mentality and winning being a habit. Losing has been in the club’s DNA for years. I think going into a season off the back of a strong end to a season and a top half finish will give players belief going into next year. Not to mention we should have the lowest churn of players for a long, long time so many of those in the squad now will be here next season.

9 minutes ago, south east latic said:

I think it’s about a winning mentality and winning being a habit. Losing has been in the club’s DNA for years. I think going into a season off the back of a strong end to a season and a top half finish will give players belief going into next year. Not to mention we should have the lowest churn of players for a long, long time so many of those in the squad now will be here next season.

Winning more than don't until the end of the season would be great. However Eyresy is right.....it will have jack shit influence on next season.

Archived