Last 10 games

5 hours ago, ShireBlue said:

One thing I find really weird though is this “Everton mob” rhetoric I’ve read in a few places. It’s almost like some fans can’t wait to get the knives out with the people running the club.

Guilty of the first. Not the second.

"Ex Everton mob" or such phrases is my way of expressing the undoubted nepotism which was at play when recruiting our "management team". I was as excited as everyone else when all was first announced. Then I witnessed (home and away for many matches) the style of play/results and did some research on DU - it wasn't encouraging from some very knowledgeable people. I`ve since not seen anything to suggest DU will ever take us where we need to be. I genuinely hope I am proved wrong.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Guilty of the first. Not the second.

"Ex Everton mob" or such phrases is my way of expressing the undoubted nepotism which was at play when recruiting our "management team". I was as excited as everyone else when all was first announced. Then I witnessed (home and away for many matches) the style of play/results and did some research on DU - it wasn't encouraging from some very knowledgeable people. I`ve since not seen anything to suggest DU will ever take us where we need to be. I genuinely hope I am proved wrong.

What's your definition of "where we need to be"? For me the only place we "need" to be in the short term is back in the EFL. Based on results so far in 2023 and performances of the last 2 or 3 weeks, I think Unsworth has shown improvement enough to suggest that with further improvement and squad additions we can challenge for promotion next season. If he can achieve that but no more then I'll consider it job done. Someone else can kick us on after that if needs be.

16 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

What's your definition of "where we need to be"? For me the only place we "need" to be in the short term is back in the EFL. Based on results so far in 2023 and performances of the last 2 or 3 weeks, I think Unsworth has shown improvement enough to suggest that with further improvement and squad additions we can challenge for promotion next season. If he can achieve that but no more then I'll consider it job done. Someone else can kick us on after that if needs be.

Agree with you regarding back in EFL must be the first and foremost aim.

I don't think he'll get us back to the EFL - Like I say, I genuinely hope I`m wrong.

There is of course the possibility that we will recruit well over the summer and DU will still not be able to get the results for a promotion push. Though we are also assuming that we'll be able to attract the right calibre of players in the right positions.

I think the Board will stand by their man and will do their best to support him in strengthening the squad, but whether he has what it takes to deliver a promotion-winning team is another matter entirely.

• 1 month later...

So our record currently reads W2 D4 L1 since I started this thread and safety is all but mathematically assured.  Wrexham is an understandable blip but we have been at least competitive in every other game.

That said, today sums up the issue I have with Unsworth.  After two recent home games where we drop points very late on, we look to sit back again and be cautious in a game that didn't really warrant it.

I don't expect us to win every game 4-0 and at a canter, but next season we can't afford to make games like this self-inflicted hard work.  Did Rooney really need to be taken off with 30 mins to go?  It's such a defensive minded move in a game that didn't require it.

Unsworth still has a lot to prove next season.  I hope he does but I'm not confident that he will.  I hope the next three games provide something to get excited about going into next season at least.

14 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I hope the next three games provide something to get excited about going into next season at least.

It’s a bit late for that, I think what you see’s what you get. The brake’s aren’t on at all, I’m fairly sure this is all this team is capable of……

Yet another game where you just think ‘fill your boots lads, they’re shit and there’s plenty of goals to be had.’ An early goal (which looked well offside to me) and a Green and Reid looking lively early on, then nothing.

We grind out a 1-0 win against one of the worst sides I’ve ever seen and I came away feeling flat after a win yet again. And why can’t we have a couple of youngsters on the bench who we can blood now, instead of bringing on Gardner, Hope and Chapman, none of whom will surely be here next year 

5 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

So our record currently reads W2 D4 L1 since I started this thread and safety is all but mathematically assured.  Wrexham is an understandable blip but we have been at least competitive in every other game.

That said, today sums up the issue I have with Unsworth.  After two recent home games where we drop points very late on, we look to sit back again and be cautious in a game that didn't really warrant it.

I don't expect us to win every game 4-0 and at a canter, but next season we can't afford to make games like this self-inflicted hard work.  Did Rooney really need to be taken off with 30 mins to go?  It's such a defensive minded move in a game that didn't require it.

Unsworth still has a lot to prove next season.  I hope he does but I'm not confident that he will.  I hope the next three games provide something to get excited about going into next season at least.

We need to off load too many past their sell by date players at this level.The football has been dire all season even with our recent form and crowds will dwindle unless we start the season with fast flowing football and far more attack minded than this dull boring season has been.I can only hope that Unsworth  has learnt lessons!!

6 hours ago, Flemboy said:

We need to off load too many past their sell by date players at this level.The football has been dire all season even with our recent form and crowds will dwindle unless we start the season with fast flowing football and far more attack minded than this dull boring season has been.I can only hope that Unsworth  has learnt lessons!!

This.

We have Leutwiler, Francis-Angol, J Clarke, Maynard, McGahey, Hope, Gardner, Porter still listed in the first team squad who have/need to be released.

Windass, Stobbs and Burgess are out on loan and maybe should not be coming back.

Our loanees in: Chapman, Sambou and Abraham should return to their clubs.

P Clarke I would explore some sort of coaching role for him at the club if he was interested.

Then there’s Tollit and Luamba who may also be surplus to requirements.

If we total up that little lot, we get up to 16 (SIXTEEN) players who might not be at the club come August… it’s more likely to be 10-12 but that’s still a high number.

WOW 😮

3 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

This.

We have Leutwiler, Francis-Angol, J Clarke, Maynard, McGahey, Hope, Gardner, Porter still listed in the first team squad who have/need to be released.

Windass, Stobbs and Burgess are out on loan and maybe should not be coming back.

P Clarke I would explore some sort of coaching role for him at the club if he was interested.

If we total up that little lot, we get up to 16 (SIXTEEN) players who might not be at the club come August… it’s more likely to be 10-12 but that’s still a high number.

WOW 😮

My guess is Tollit, Chapman and Hope will be here next season and the rest binned. 
DU mentioned at the fans forum that Tollit will be here at the start of next season when questioned about his recent omissions.

A few months ago DU said he was looking at trying to sort out deals for 1 or 2 of the loanees, Chapman being mentioned.

8 hours ago, Flemboy said:

That's the worry for me, can our Dave learn ? Or is he too set in his ways ? Or can he learn ?

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

This.

WOW 😮

I'd keep Hope since he was scoring and doing runs pre that Chesterfield  thug ruined what could have been a decent total.Clarke I'd keep on in the squad for his vast experience. Tollitt I'd keep in the squad as well.The rest can go.Id rather have quality not a quantity  of average  players which at best would stick us mid table 

3 hours ago, Londonboy said:

Attendance one of the lowest of the season on a decent day weather wise...not a good sign the pay on the day fans can't be arsed.

Sounds like the performance did nothing to encourage them to go Tuesday.

Be lucky to get 5500 I think....🙄

Meaningless game, end of Easter holidays, Grand National on.

A decent attendance in the circumstances...

3 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

This.

WOW 😮

If Chapman stays is that really the standard we are setting?

4 hours ago, Londonboy said:

Attendance one of the lowest of the season on a decent day weather wise...not a good sign the pay on the day fans can't be arsed.

Sounds like the performance did nothing to encourage them to go Tuesday.

Be lucky to get 5500 I think....🙄

They brought about 11 as well 

2 hours ago, redlion said:

That's the worry for me, can our Dave learn ? Or is he too set in his ways ? Or can he learn ?

No. Yes. No. 

Next season will be exactly the same style but with better players. 

Better players who will be asked to hold on for a win when they go in front. 

Better players who will be asked to keep in shape at all costs. 

Better players who will be inexplicably Subbed after an hour. 

I think we’ll improve in the league table, and finish top half.  But I don’t think his cautious defensive style is good enough for the playoffs- unless you pay stupid money for players which I don’t want or expect. 

10th -12th for me, and allowed to see out his final year for showing ‘progress.’ 

56 minutes ago, League one forever said:

No. Yes. No. 

Next season will be exactly the same style but with better players. 

Better players who will be asked to hold on for a win when they go in front. 

Better players who will be asked to keep in shape at all costs. 

Better players who will be inexplicably Subbed after an hour. 

I think we’ll improve in the league table, and finish top half.  But I don’t think his cautious defensive style is good enough for the playoffs- unless you pay stupid money for players which I don’t want or expect. 

10th -12th for me, and allowed to see out his final year for showing ‘progress.’ 

If the league had started in January we would be in 7th place apparently 😳

6 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

If the league had started in January we would be in 7th place apparently 😳

But it didn’t. . so. . 😂😉

Joking aside- I take your point. 

I had a look at the league table yesterday and I think 7th was something like 12 points in front of us. When you think about another four  wins over the season, It seems very attainable and doable. Then I immediately remind myself that we’ve lost 17 points this season from winning positions. . . and there in lies the problem. 

Archived