Tollit

Green

Abraham

Burgess 

Rooney

Kitching

Sutton (As a right back) 

All offer attacking threat. 

Looking after the ball should be Sheron and Shelton’s job and isn’t the same as attacking threat. It’s their job to win the ball and give it to the players above to create for the front two. 

Unfortunately Unsy doesn’t want to play people in their natural position which nullifies the creative players and makes it seem like we haven’t got any. 

We clearly have. 

Bizarrely I agree with Eyresy again.....we don't have the players to adopt an attacking strategy, without weakening us big time defensively so it's swings and roundabouts.

With 2 new proper wing backs and another creator who can also tackle and win the ball in midfield we might have a chance.

Offering an attacking threat is different than adopting an attacking strategy, and sorry your talking bollocks trying to say Burgess and Sutton can deliver this.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Bizarrely I agree with Eyresy again.....we don't have the players to adopt an attacking strategy, without weakening us big time defensively so it's swings and roundabouts.

With 2 new proper wing backs and another creator who can also tackle and win the ball in midfield we might have a chance.

Offering an attacking threat is different than adopting an attacking strategy, and sorry your talking bollocks trying to say Burgess and Sutton can deliver this.

They can give you tablets for it, you'll be fine.

Absolutely right with everything you've said there.

4 hours ago, Flemboy said:

This season can't end fast enough.

for me

Completely  bored by the poor quality, defensive, both home and away ,formations.

Unsworth  makes  Penny look good. 

How we are still getting crowds around 6000 is strange but o can't see that continuing next season with him in charge.i feel sorry for Frank who has given him the funding and support to have put us in or around the playoffs.

I'm with you Flemboy.

Is it me or can anyone else just not be arsed for the rest of this season?

Being Southern based Dagenham on Saturday should be a game I'm really looking forward to going to, as I've never been there and it's another new ground, however after Eastleigh I don't think I can be bothered....

I've probably seen us play around 1000 games over the years, and it's just sad that the way we will set up to play on Saturday gives me no incentive to go.

Saying that come Friday ill probably think ah fuck it and go, but at the moment I'm in the " can't be arsed" camp.

33 minutes ago, south east latic said:

I think it’s about a winning mentality and winning being a habit. Losing has been in the club’s DNA for years. I think going into a season off the back of a strong end to a season and a top half finish will give players belief going into next year. Not to mention we should have the lowest churn of players for a long, long time so many of those in the squad now will be here next season.

I agree with this. Pyscological momentum. The squad will largely be the same so new players will be coming into a settled atmosphere rather than no one knowing anyone. And we'll have had 4 months of the sort of point scoring form that could see us promoted. That absolutely counts for something.

1 hour ago, south east latic said:

You’re absolutely right that the only aim should be getting out of this hellhole as quickly as possible. In terms of style of play, there are many ways to skin a cat. Wrexham and Notts have very differing styles - Wrexham more akin to what Unsworth is trying here. 

It works for Wrexham not just because they’ve got quality players but because they attack with intensity and get bodies up the pitch quickly. I’d have no issue with a more rudimentary style if we were doing that. I think there have been signs of us getting there eg Barnet but we’re still far too passive and defensively minded and that makes it very boring. Having just a couple of shots on goal shouldn’t be tolerated in any game at this level. 

For the rest of the season I’d like to see us have a go at teams and play with a confidence about us. We also need to end with some momentum so hitting the promotion ppg thresholds are key to confirming that there’s progress being made.

Intensity and playing further forward has definitely improved over the last few weeks. It needs to keep improving though. 

11 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Total contradiction there. 

We don’t have the players. . . without it weakening us. . 

So by definition we do actually have the players- but Unsworth is choosing to not play them regularly or in their natural position. Why? Because he chooses defensive shape or over attacking football. 

16 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

I’ll wager you that even when he’s gets even more players and they play his system the football won’t change. 

17 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

sorry your talking bollocks trying to say Burgess and Sutton can deliver this.

Burgess is the forgotten man, but did ok in his breif spells- with an arm around the shoulder and some belief he could come good. Sutton has doing really well at right back/ especially for a young lad- and crossed the halfway line plenty of times. But he’s an overlapping right back- not a wing back. 

52 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

He's right in a way. It's hardly going to build up momentum when we have a 3 month break until our next proper match and are likely to have up to 6 new players...

He’s not right in any way shape or form- as the history of every sport known to man tells you- the big mo is massive. 

But to him it’s just made up. So that’s that. 😂

1 hour ago, Londonboy said:

I'm with you Flemboy.

Is it me or can anyone else just not be arsed for the rest of this season?

Being Southern based Dagenham on Saturday should be a game I'm really looking forward to going to, as I've never been there and it's another new ground, however after Eastleigh I don't think I can be bothered....

I've probably seen us play around 1000 games over the years, and it's just sad that the way we will set up to play on Saturday gives me no incentive to go.

Saying that come Friday ill probably think ah fuck it and go, but at the moment I'm in the " can't be arsed" camp.

Their ground is OK.Away fans are in a newish stand .Last time I went was on a double decker coach organised by Mark from the Riflerange.I don't like them since they beat my local team Mossley at Wembley and West Ham fans were a disgrace.

Like you I'm in two minds about going and another 815 start.

If we lose our next 10 games we'll probably get relegated so we need to maintain some kind of momentum, or form - call it what you will, to the end of the season. And after a pretty shocking first four months of the season it would be disappointing if the green shoots we've seen since the turn of the year disappeared in a cloud of can't be arsedness.

Increasingly owners are looking at form from the end of one season into the start of the next. Hassenhutl at Southampton lost his job in part because their poor start to the season was on the back of a poor end to last season.

I would hope we continue our good form through to the end of the season, building a base for a good start to 23/24. If Wrexham and Notts County both go up there's absolutely no reason why, with the addition of a few more quality players, we shouldn't be challenging for promotion next season. Anything other than play offs will be failure. 

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Because there is no such thing as momentum in sport

Hope that helps.

There really is, it's just misnamed.  Call it confidence and that des the trick.  Anyone who wants to take it literally may well point out that a footballer has probably never actually been over the moon.

18 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

You could lose six frames of snooker in a row then win the next one, who's got the momentum?

Momentum/form etc exists but isn't indefinite. That should help clear up your confusion.

1 minute ago, Dave_Og said:

There really is, it's just misnamed.  Call it confidence and that des the trick.  Anyone who wants to take it literally may well point out that a footballer has probably never actually been over the moon.

Of course - we all know this. 

Just our eyrsey that’s got another big call wrong. Again. 

6 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

You're a smart guy and a punter Dave, you know it is psycho babble.

8 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I'm certainly confused that anyone thinks results from three months previously means you've got momentum.

Taking the confidence and experience gained from those positive results into pre season and then on into the next season.

There are no guarantees obviously. But the players would probably start next season in a better frame of mind if they win the next 10 games rather than if they lose them.

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

Taking the confidence and experience gained from those positive results into pre season and then on into the next season.

There are no guarantees obviously. But the players would probably start next season in a better frame of mind if they win the next 10 games rather than if they lose them.

I get the sentiment. But there's too many variables for it to hold any weight.

I want to see them try and win every game.

By hook or by crook we need to shed this permanent loser mentality and take a winning one into next season. 

It will be nice to have a pre-season without a total overhaul as well. 

28 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

By hook or by crook we need to shed this permanent loser mentality and take a winning one into next season. 

I know - it would be handy. It’s almost like winning breeds confidence, culture and momentum. 

But people forget how to win over the summer apparently, and mentality and what affects it - are just physco babble according to eyrsey- so unfortunately the discussion is over. 

Archived