27 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

.... I will mostly be sulking, and throwing missiles at the postmanu if he dares come anywhere near me. Bollocks.......

Watched the game last night… Blackpool have some very talented individuals but were lacking structure and team discipline at the crucial moments. 
Good support until the third Millwall goal went in.

4 hours ago, basilrobbie said:

.... I will mostly be sulking, and throwing missiles at the postman if he dares come anywhere near me. Bollocks.......

Commiserations bud. I don't follow your teams fortunes anywhere near the way you follow ours but what went wrong? is it just bridging the gap between Championship and L1 or have other more preventable things go on?

4 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Watched the game last night… Blackpool have some very talented individuals but were lacking structure and team discipline at the crucial moments. 
Good support until the third Millwall goal went in.

I see young Rob Apter has signed a new contract at Blackpool, get him in on loan  next season.

4 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Commiserations bud. I don't follow your teams fortunes anywhere near the way you follow ours but what went wrong? is it just bridging the gap between Championship and L1 or have other more preventable things go on?

The main thing was losing Critchley so unexpectedly. He'd not long since signed a lengthy contract, but decided he wanted to be Gerrard's No. 2 at the Villa. We all know how that turned out, and he has subsequently been sacked at QPR too (more a reflection on them than him, I think).

The club freely admit they had no contingency plan for his departure. They might have been able to get Duff, or even Rosenior, but appointed Appleton. A lot of fans took against him immediately because of his PNE links and when they sacked him they chose the wrong dinosaur in McCarthy - Huddersfield have had a lot more value from Warnock. 

Add in a terrible injury list and a very poor disciplinary record, and here we are. 

It's a very tough Division for a club of our size. Kieran Maguire published a list of average weekly wages for players by club in the 2021/22 season a few days ago. We were bottom, paying £3.5k per week ; Fulham were paying £44k.  And we still LOST £75k per week that season.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

The main thing was losing Critchley so unexpectedly. He'd not long since signed a lengthy contract, but decided he wanted to be Gerrard's No. 2 at the Villa. We all know how that turned out, and he has subsequently been sacked at QPR too (more a reflection on them than him, I think).

The club freely admit they had no contingency plan for his departure. They might have been able to get Duff, or even Rosenior, but appointed Appleton. A lot of fans took against him immediately because of his PNE links and when they sacked him they chose the wrong dinosaur in McCarthy - Huddersfield have had a lot more value from Warnock. 

Add in a terrible injury list and a very poor disciplinary record, and here we are. 

It's a very tough Division for a club of our size. Kieran Maguire published a list of average weekly wages for players by club in the 2021/22 season a few days ago. We were bottom, paying £3.5k per week ; Fulham were paying £44k.  And we still LOST £75k per week that season.

The championship really is the biggest basket case when it comes to the disparity between teams in the league. From The teams coming up from League 1 to the teams coming down from the PL with parachute payments whats that these days £70mill a season? Plus Some owners are gambling what £50mill loss a season in the attempt to get into the PL. Also I think L1 is more competitive than since we left in 2018 looking at the big clubs at the top of L1 it won't be easy for you getting back up but if you are prepared you should be pretty competitive right?

30 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

yeah thats far from enough. scary really.

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

The championship really is the biggest basket case when it comes to the disparity between teams in the league. From The teams coming up from League 1 to the teams coming down from the PL with parachute payments whats that these days £70mill a season? Plus Some owners are gambling what £50mill loss a season in the attempt to get into the PL. Also I think L1 is more competitive than since we left in 2018 looking at the big clubs at the top of L1 it won't be easy for you getting back up but if you are prepared you should be pretty competitive right?

iirc Burnley received £100 million in parachute payments or have spent that much 

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

. Also I think L1 is more competitive than since we left in 2018 looking at the big clubs at the top of L1 it won't be easy for you getting back up but if you are prepared you should be pretty competitive right?

I hope so. We need to appoint a new manage quickly, and we need some new capacity on the Board. It won't be easy as at least three of Wednesday, Bolton, Derby and Barnsley will still be there, plus Posh and Pompey. But I hope we will be OK.

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Saw something on twitter that said he'd done 6 months for conspiracy to steal prior to getting involved with Fleetwood.

Might explain the sentence a bit too.

While Fleetwood were non-league when he took over, and the length of sentence means Pilley didn't have to declare it. It is a bit worrying that he passed the fit & proper persons test with a conviction like that on his record.

I'd imagine he'd now be barred for life from holding a company director post.

10 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Saw something on twitter that said he'd done 6 months for conspiracy to steal prior to getting involved with Fleetwood.

Might explain the sentence a bit too.

While Fleetwood were non-league when he took over, and the length of sentence means Pilley didn't have to declare it. It is a bit worrying that he passed the fit & proper persons test with a conviction like that on his record.

I'd imagine he'd now be barred for life from holding a company director post.

He's banned for thirteen years as a company director generally. And with the recent changes to the O&DT he will never be able to be involved with a football club again. And you were right about his earlier conviction  - (conspiracy to steal from the Post Office, I believe) - it is "spent" because it was less than six months. 

I think he may have slipped through the EFL radar because the O&DT wasn't well established then, but they have had plenty of time to watch him create a completely unsustainable entity that must be at real risk now.

What happens now is anyone's guess. The club has around £24m of debt (almost all owed to AP), and loses over £50k per week. It doesn't own either the ground or the training ground. His money is now turned off and his assets may be subject to a Proceeds of Crime Order. 

Bizarrely, the club is maintaining a position that they carry on business as normal. Even more bizarrely, a lot of their fans seem to believe it. It's a mess, and given I grew up there and watched them more times than I care to remember when I was a kid, it's really sad too.

Edited by basilrobbie
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

He's banned for thirteen years as a company director generally. And with the recent changes to the O&DT he will never be able to be involved with a football club again. And you were right about his earlier conviction  - (conspiracy to steal from the Post Office, I believe) - it is "spent" because it was less than six months. 

I think he may have slipped through the EFL radar because the O&DT wasn't well established then, but they have had plenty of time to watch him create a completely unsustainable entity that must be at real risk now.

What happens now is anyone's guess. The club has around £24m of debt (almost all owed to AP), and loses over £50k per week. It doesn't own either the ground or the training ground. His money is now turned off and his assets may be subject to a Proceeds of Crime Order. 

Bizarrely, the club is maintaining a position that they carry on business as normal. Even more bizarrely, a lot of their fans seem to believe it. It's a mess, and given I grew up there and watched them more times than I care to remember when I was a kid, it's really sad too.

How are Blackpool doing Baz? You signed anyone decent? 

We've signed Norburn from Posh. That is a noteworthy signing. Pennington, who was Player of the Year at Shrewsbury. A reserve goalie, a young lad who I don't know much about, a young kid from Ireland for the Development Squad. OK so far, but quite. lot more to come I feel, as a lot have been allowed to leave. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

We've signed Norburn from Posh. That is a noteworthy signing. Pennington, who was Player of the Year at Shrewsbury. A reserve goalie, a young lad who I don't know much about, a young kid from Ireland for the Development Squad. OK so far, but quite. lot more to come I feel, as a lot have been allowed to leave. 

You’ve not seen a lad called Andrew Dallas around and about have you ? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, basilrobbie said:

How have the EFL allowed it to get to that, don't they check clubs finances annually?

7 hours ago, BP1960 said:

How have the EFL allowed it to get to that, don't they check clubs finances annually?

I can only surmise, but they have stayed within P&S rules since they came Into the league, just about. And he has made a lot of loans / gifts  to keep them as competitive as possible. As long as those loans weren't called  in**, the problem was theoretical rather than real. But now the chickens are going to come home to roost.

** there are plenty of other clubs like this. Brighton, for example, "owe" Tony Bloom around £400m.