Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

29 minutes ago, League one forever said:

The cost of backing DU unfortunately. Looks like we’re shopping in the bargain bucket until the summer. 

Eight of the sixteen who featured in the second leg of the historic double over Hartlepool were Unsworth signings...

6 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Eight of the sixteen who featured in the second leg of the historic double over Hartlepool were Unsworth signings...

. . . and the other eight aren’t wanted. One of which we paid a significant fee for. Several of which are on contracts until the end of time.  Until we can offload some of them the quality of signing will reflect that. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, League one forever said:

. . . and the other eight aren’t wanted. One of which we paid a significant fee for. Several of which are on contracts until the end of time.  Until we can offload some of them the quality of signing will reflect that. 

Green and Reid were squad regulars under 5PM.

There's only really Nuttall and Shelton from the longer contract crew who you could say hasn't worked out.

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Heard about the winger. Doesn't really excite me, been around a bit and thought we were beyond signing journeymen these days...

You never know, but I remember him as left footed and nippy who loves to run at defenders so may be used as a central attacking midfielder these days. If he's better than what we've got that could be MMs criteria.

Edited by BP1960

25 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Green and Reid were squad regulars under 5PM.

There's only really Nuttall and Shelton from the longer contract crew who you could say hasn't worked out.

We wouldn’t be looking at wingers if he fancied Green. 

Dickenson and Kurt can’t get a game. 

Ward can’t stay fit. 

Freeman has only just been released 

Reid wants likes more than goals. 

Nuttall and Shelton won’t play for us again. 

None of the above were signed as development players or punts. They were signed to play in the first team, I’d wager their combined weekly wage is circa 10- 12k a week. Or for better context 500 to 600 grand of the yearly budget. 

That’s not insignificant and certainly not a ‘myth’ 😂

Edited by League one forever
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I don't wish to be pedantic but isn't one of them injured and the other suspended?

Reid was injured and now suspended, McGahey has been disciplined and is not being considered, I think Green is fit now but as far as I’m aware he’s still shite…….let’s have it right…they only played because of injuries and Nuttall being Nuttall!

Let’s be honest…..with a few additions they wouldn’t be anywhere near!!

Edited by oafc1955

8 minutes ago, League one forever said:

We wouldn’t be looking at wingers if he fancied Green. 

Dickenson and Kurt can’t get a game. 

Ward can’t stay fit. 

Freeman has only just been released 

Reid wants likes more than goals. 

Nuttall and Shelton won’t play for us again. 

None of the above were signed as development players or punts. They were signed to play in the first team, I’d wager their combined weekly wage is circa 10- 12k a week. Or for better context 500 to 600 grand of the yearly budget. 

That’s not insignificant and certainly not a ‘myth’ 😂

New manager comes in and doesn't fancy every player signed by the previous one shocker.

There weren't too many dissenting voices when they were brought in.

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

New manager comes in and doesn't fancy every player signed by the previous one shocker.

Perhaps that's because people were willing to give them a chance, there is a couple on LOF's list who I would stick with, certainly Ward who could be the catalyst for getting a bit more out of Lundstram. 

11 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

You’ve gone down one of your famous rabbit holes again. None of the above is relevant to what we are discussing. 

We’re talking about the budget as it is. 

You’re saying (I think) that the budget spend is a myth, and there should be plenty left. 

Im saying, it’s a simple fact that they’re multiple players on good money and long contacts that aren’t fancied for whatever reason. They are taking a very hefty chunk of the budget and it’s unrealistic to expect a big splash until we move some of them on. Probably in the summer. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Because they appeared to be decent signings…..we now know different!!

Excusing Ward given he's not had the chance to show anything yet there's only really Shelton and perhaps Willoughby who haven't contributed.

Apart from Ward, I don't think that Willoughby has been fit enough to really show us what he can do yet. You can't score the goals he did at Chester without having something about him. Let's give him a proper chance to prove himself.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

You’ve gone down one of your famous rabbit holes again. None of the above is relevant to what we are discussing. 

We’re talking about the budget as it is. 

You’re saying (I think) that the budget spend is a myth, and there should be plenty left. 

Im saying, it’s a simple fact that they’re multiple players on good money and long contacts that aren’t fancied for whatever reason. They are taking a very hefty chunk of the budget and it’s unrealistic to expect a big splash until we move some of them on. Probably in the summer. 

No, that isn't what I'm saying, I'm sure there isn't a bottomless pot of money.

People are suggesting the money has been wasted when the truth is it has been spent on players who are playing and contributing, the odd one or two haven't worked out, it happens, bit of a stretch to suggest there are multiple players who aren't fancied though.

24 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Excusing Ward given he's not had the chance to show anything yet there's only really Shelton and perhaps Willoughby who haven't contributed.

Ward and Willoughby have not had enough playing time to show what they can deliver and for us to properly judge…

13 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Ward and Willoughby have not had enough playing time to show what they can deliver and for us to properly judge…

Probably not enough for us to judge as fans but from what Mellon has seen everyday in training for the last 2 months he hasn't considered either certainly not Willoughby who definitely hasn't been injured amd has only been on the fringes.

8 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

No, that isn't what I'm saying, I'm sure there isn't a bottomless pot of money.

People are suggesting the money has been wasted when the truth is it has been spent on players who are playing and contributing, the odd one or two haven't worked out, it happens, bit of a stretch to suggest there are multiple players who aren't fancied though.

Ah ok, I’m with you. 

Right, in that case. 

Here’s the Unsworth signings I think Mellon would move on now if he could. (If he wants to move them on, then it doesn’t matter if they’ve contributed does it? Freeman contributed. . and was shipped out as soon as they could. 

Freeman already gone. 

Shelton 

Nuttall 

Reid 

Kurt 

Dickenson 

Green 

Possibly Ward. 

Here’s who will stay. 

Raglan

Hobson

Kitch

Norwood 

Lundy

Possibly Ward. 

Of the permanent signings- Hobson, Kitch and Norwood have been superb. Lundy and Raglan have been good signings- with more to come in time I think. Ward is still unknown. The rest have been in and out of the side, and some are being superseded by loans. They become dead wood if they aren’t fancied- which they aren’t. (Even if they looked ok/good signings at the time) 

• Like 2