Unsworth - “We have a core group of 19-20 players.”

44 minutes ago, League one forever said:

There’s a lot of presumption in that.

To be top three-

All the new signings have to settle and play well/contribute 

As you say - We need luck with injuries to key players. 

Most importantly Unsworth and the team need a big mentality shift from. ‘Stay in the game, and nick something’ to ‘Go out and dominate and win the game’ 

Not beyond the realms of possibility, but no team grinds to top 3. 

I'm not presuming anything, we ground to the top of the form table the back end of last season, I expect us to be fitter and stronger this and I'm prepared for much the same as Unsworth now knows it gets results.

• Like 1

there is defo added pressure but the club have invited it, nay, seem to be embracing it.

lm expecting the drum to get banged a bit harder at the forum.

we all know the risks that come with it and it might be new club naiivety from The Saviours l'm all for it. its started now so no point trying to damp it out we might aswell chuck petrol on it..

24 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Aye, I suppose it helps when you have Chelsea’s squad. 👀😁

He could have had pretty much anyone he wanted - but chose to stick to his preferred style.  Not easy on the eye but results spoke for themselves

31 minutes ago, League one forever said:

You’re presuming that form will pick up where it left off. . 

No reason to suggest it won't, if nothing else it already appears we have a pretty decent squad buying in to Unsworth and the club and in my opinion with a decent prep we should improve, all we lacked back end was a midfield to help keep us in games and I think we've brought in two of the best young players in the division to do that.

7 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

He could have had pretty much anyone he wanted - but chose to stick to his preferred style.  Not easy on the eye but results spoke for themselves

I appreciate the point you’re making that ugly football can be effective and ultimately successful. 

But Unsworth isn’t Mourinho. 

And our squad isn’t Chelsea’s. 

The quality of manager and player make a huge difference. 

Also Mourinho teams never looked in trouble or like they were trying to Nick a win. They dominated possession with their physical presence, and ball retention. 

We looked powder puff last season, and constantly gave the ball away. . nor did we dominate. We hung in games and and found a way to win. That is absolute world away from title challenging winning ugly- for the reasons above. 

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

No reason to suggest it won't, if nothing else it already appears we have a pretty decent squad buying in to Unsworth and the club and in my opinion with a decent prep we should improve, all we lacked back end was a midfield to help keep us in games and I think we've brought in two of the best young players in the division to do that.

Agreed mate. 

There’s more than enough in that squad for top 7. 

I just think there is a big mentality shift from winning by hanging in there and spoiling. To winning by dominating possession and bullying sides out of it. 

That said- I hope that’s how it pans out. 

44 minutes ago, League one forever said:

But Unsworth isn’t Mourinho. 

And our squad isn’t Chelsea’s. 

And we don't play in the PL-so it rather makes your point irrelevant.

45 minutes ago, League one forever said:

The quality of manager and player make a huge difference. 

Followed by this piece of insight. Tell us something we didn't know.

20 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Norman

Sutton

Hobson

Hogan

Kitching 

Sheron

Lundstrum

Ward

Shelton

Reid

Willoughby 

Hudson

Yarney

McGahey 

Couto

Green

Gardner 

Rooney

Tollitt 

Hope

Fondop

Nuttall

That second eleven is probably on a par with the team Shez put out early last season, I think we are going to get another 2 or 3 in as well to replace those that are deemed surplus.

Think Nuttall would be in that first 11 in place of Shelton or Sheron and we know we need a good right back.

Looks like Rooney and Yarney are out of your second 11 and Gardener and McGahey are in the gym rather than out on the grass.

Feel like we need another 2 or 3 good signings to be challenging 🤞.

9 minutes ago, mick26 said:

Think Nuttall would be in that first 11 in place of Shelton or Sheron and we know we need a good right back.

Looks like Rooney and Yarney are out of your second 11 and Gardener and McGahey are in the gym rather than out on the grass.

Feel like we need another 2 or 3 good signings to be challenging 🤞.

and the brilliant thing is that's what the club thinks too, so we will be getting them shortly 😁

• 4 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

What’s happened with him? Not figuring pre season, not gone anywhere else and now not even training with the first team apparently. 
I thought the days of freezing players out were over.

I think it more than likely he’s a negative influence and probably a bit of a t***!

Edited by oafc1955

3 hours ago, Steve_R said:

What’s happened with him? Not figuring pre season, not gone anywhere else and now not even training with the first team apparently. 
I thought the days of freezing players out were over.

l think he froze himself out tbh 😞