Unsworth - “We have a core group of 19-20 players.”

1 hour ago, andy_b_100 said:

I wonder if there will be any mysterious faces there 

got to expect 1-2 plus Patrick Berger in every pre season.

in seriousness tho l said to a friend t'other day that pre season will be so different in that we will know 90% of the players and their main focus will be in directions such as fitness, cohesion and tactics rather than everybody tryin to take on eight semi pro's and chip the keeper hoping to get a contract.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Nah not having that, Gardner last season must have had the worst pass completion by a country mile, saying that he was playing with a bunch of chumps most weeks, I'd like to see him in with better footballers but suspect Unsworths seen enough.

Both shite tbf

17 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Nah not having that, Gardner last season must have had the worst pass completion by a country mile, saying that he was playing with a bunch of chumps most weeks, I'd like to see him in with better footballers but suspect Unsworths seen enough.

Exactly this. The Gardner of last season was a pale imitation of what he has been the rest of his career. 
He was injured before the season started and played injured until he broke down.

He hasn’t been the same player since he had the serious injury in his first spell with us.

For all that he’s not as good as he was, he still deserves a bit more respect than the majority on this board give him

31 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Exactly this. The Gardner of last season was a pale imitation of what he has been the rest of his career. 
He was injured before the season started and played injured until he broke down.

He hasn’t been the same player since he had the serious injury in his first spell with us.

For all that he’s not as good as he was, he still deserves a bit more respect than the majority on this board give him

He was poor in his previous spell with us too, injuries have nothing to do with it, he simply doesn’t take care of the ball well enough.

A very frustrating player with technical ability in abundance.
He should be smashing this division no doubt but a seemingly inherent fault of continually giving the ball away cheaply has always been his downfall.

A sublime ball followed by a 5 yard pass, under no pressure, straight to the opposition, is not getting us out of this division.

23 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

he simply doesn’t take care of the ball well enough.

#Oxymoron 

In his pomp he was an average/steady league one midfielder, that player hasn’t been around for at least 4/5 seasons. People thought he would boss it because he was coming down a couples of divisions. But his injuries mean he’s now an average national league player. 

Need to move him on. 

8 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

He was poor in his previous spell with us too, injuries have nothing to do with it, he simply doesn’t take care of the ball well enough.

He should be smashing this division no doubt but a seemingly inherent fault of continually giving the ball away cheaply has always been his downfall.

A sublime ball followed by a 5 yard pass, under no pressure, straight to the opposition, is not getting us out of this division.

He was out of his mind and a total disgrace last time he was here at the end of season awards. He was so drunk it made you think has he got a problem in this regard and if he has then it could explain his performances on the pitch. 

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Dan Gardner.

A good footballer who needs to stay fit and to adapt better to the level he is currently playing at. 

The big question is whether he is physically and mentally up for a season of Rhinoball.

I like him 👍

That's a nice little summary for me. I'm generally well disposed towards him. Last season was frustrating, he can't afford another like that at his age. I hope he has a really good pre-season and rolls back the years, it's probably unlikely but let's hope. 

• Like 3

Gardner is good enough to play a decent role for us with competent players around him. He’s just got to manage his fitness better. 

That being said, it’s probably better to offload him and use his wages elsewhere.

If Dan Gardner had been fit for the whole of last season I reckon its quite possible we could have got much closer to the play offs than we did. While he will give the ball away quite abit he is much more likely to try and get on the ball do things and influence a game some midfielders don't always have the courage to take the ball as much as he does. The signing of 2 centre midfielders though perhaps suggest that he's one of those on the way out.

Back to the main topic of conversation. The squad as a whole.

If the squad we have now started the season I'd be pretty confident that it would get in the top 7. However I think I'd still like to see abit more moulding being done before it's in its final form.

Obviously this time of year brings alot of hearsay and speculation but it appears, Rooney and Tollit seem the most likely to leave. My concern here is who we replace them with. Dave Unsworth appears to want a hard running hard working physical side. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, but occasionally particularly when you are at home against a side who put men behind the ball you need a code breaker who can unlock a defense with abit of magic, Rooney and Tollit van give you that. They might not be able to give you much without the ball but if you play against a side who just want to sit in then that's not such a problem. 

I'm preempting here, Rooney and Tollit might still be here and both could be useful assets to us, I don't know yet what the team will look like at the start of August. But if Rooney and Tollit go then after a right back perhaps a creative wide player is possibly what we might need next.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 1

This Tollitt & Rooney are leaving is pure guesswork isn’t it?

Apart from limited game time towards the end of the season has there been any indications from within the club or in the media that this may be the case?

10 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I would still like to see a real statement of intent signing through the door, someone from a division or two higher.

I can't imagine we're going to pay Mullin type money and can't really see why signing a L2 player would be a statement of intent.  Grigg may or may not do well at Chesterfield but i think our young and upcoming approach is a better idea.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, oafc1955 said:

This Tollitt & Rooney are leaving is pure guesswork isn’t it?

Apart from limited game time towards the end of the season has there been any indications from within the club or in the media that this may be the case?

Rooney is going...

47 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I can't imagine we're going to pay Mullin type money and can't really see why signing a L2 player would be a statement of intent.  Grigg may or may not do well at Chesterfield but i think our young and upcoming approach is a better idea.

I'm also a fan of the strategy of signing relatively young, hungry players, based in the North, whose careers are on an upward trajectory and come with good fitness records, they all played plenty of games last season. It's a massively welcome change from recent years.

RB and a LW or LM are the two I want to see in now. They're clearly working on a RB and it sounds like there are a couple of irons in the fire. I'm confident we'll get our business done in good time. Even if nobody else came in we're light years ahead of where we've been in any pre-season for a number of years.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I do think the squad is still inflated and not particularly balanced. Plenty of time yet. 

The real squad isn't particularly inflated is it?  There's a a legacy shadow squad but that's a different thing altogether

• Like 1

Did we really miss Tollitt for the entirety of H2 last season

Therefore will we miss him?

I think he’s a luxury player, and not even a good one at that. 

I wouldn’t miss him anyway, nor Rooney for that matter.

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

Do we know exactly who wasn’t at training yesterday?

Yarney, Rooney, McGahey, Leutwiler, Luamba, Windass all definitely missing there may be others. Can't see any playing a part this season and they've probably been asked to stay away and find new clubs.

Fondop, Gardner, Hope and Tollitt all in which tells me they will be invoved and to be fair are good squad players on their day at this level.

Edited by yarddog73
  • Like 1