Southend Away

Southend have their day in court tomorrow and could be wound up. 

Their dodgy owner is supposedly in the final stages of a takeover from an investment group but it has been going on for months and he seems to be playing brinkmanship with them as well as the courts.

The NL is waiting in the wings and will step in presumably after the Judges decision tomorrow and in the meantime the latest rumour is the water company is turning off the supply to Roots Hall today which will not be good news for their newly laid pitch

In short, it looks less and less likely we will be heading to the Essex seaside on Aug 5th and more worryingly, perhaps never again 😞

We, along with a number of other clubs’ fans know only too well how the Shrimpers are feeling and let’s hope they find their “Frank” and we can celebrate with them on the season opening day

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

defo

but if theyre just scraping by and we win we have to sing your shit and youre goin bust

because thats how Football works

Very much tongue in cheek I know, and definitely do see this at football, but i’d be disappointed if our fans sang that at any club, especially as it’s nearly happened twice to us. 

We played there four years ago come August - in League 1. We won in a canter, they went down, then down again into the NL and have had two years there since. 

Word is that they are likely to lose a lot of players if this is not resolved , and as Ritchie says, that is the least of their problems. Even if they get adjourned tomorrow, the possibility is that the NL may throw them out. And the transfer embargo continues. 

Not looking good for Southend, another plays less. 

https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/sport/football/striker-joins-hartlepool-united-after-southend-united-exit-4215399

Also no players have medical cover, does this mean they wont be allowed to play in the NL until they have?

Edited by BP1960

5 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Not looking good for Southend, another plays less. 

https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/sport/football/striker-joins-hartlepool-united-after-southend-united-exit-4215399

Also no players have no medial cover, does this mean they wont be allowed to play in the NL until they have?

Presume there are some kind of rules for this but I also presume the actual players would refuse to play without the insurance. Way too big a risk to play without it. 

Tomorrow will be the fourth time this year the Chairman has gone to court with a winding up order, one of our supporters has worked out that this is the nineteenth time he has appeared since the first after the financial crisis 14 odd years ago. We've had an embargo since last September yet it was down to a last-game decider for a play off spot despite the shenanigans off the pitch. There was a protest outside the Chairmans house yesterday, and right now, supporters are protesting outside his house again. A deal is in the balance but it's going to be right down to the wire. This time tomorrow either we'll have new owners and got rid, or I'll be looking for a new team to support.

You did well to sign Shaun Hobson, good player.  Our defence last season only bettered by Wrexham and Notts County. Goalie gone to Sutton, another midfielder gone Hartlepool today. If we survive, next season will be hard. 

• Like 2

This does look a little bit like a game of brinkmanship from the outside. Infact it seems to happen quite alot when the clubs are on the verge like this. For that reason I think (and hope) they will survive. If they do then it's going to be interesting to see how they do this season I'm guessing they could well be scratching around for players so I don't know how they are going to do this season.

Brinkmanship - spot on, although the Chairman can only pull out his Houdini act so many times before his facade fails. If we survive expect a raucous and bouyant Roots Hall. I was at Bloomfield Road for the first game after the Orsons finally went. We were playing Blackpool. Even though not my team,  the atmosphere was something else. 

The suggestion is that if the sale goes ahead there are signings waiting. There are also players who have apparently agreed new contracts. Stan Collymore & John Still brought some decent talent in for Kevin Maher before last Septembers embargo. Moreso again I hope.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glossop Shrimper said:

Brinkmanship - spot on, although the Chairman can only pull out his Houdini act so many times before his facade fails. If we survive expect a raucous and bouyant Roots Hall. I was at Bloomfield Road for the first game after the Orsons finally went. We were playing Blackpool. Even though not my team,  the atmosphere was something else. 

The suggestion is that if the sale goes ahead there are signings waiting. There are also players who have apparently agreed new contracts. Stan Collymore & John Still brought some decent talent in for Kevin Maher before last Septembers embargo. Moreso again I hope.

Hi Glossop, I forgot we had a local Shrimper! Really sorry to see what you’re going through but you know we understand! Hopefully, as you say, this is brinkmanship and usually these kind of people are a snooker ball or two ahead of us so I still suspect we will be at Roots Hall in a few weeks although the problems for Southend may not be over.

You found a nice part of the world in Glossop (grew up in Marple Bridge/Mellor)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Glossop Shrimper said:

Tomorrow will be the fourth time this year the Chairman has gone to court with a winding up order, one of our supporters has worked out that this is the nineteenth time he has appeared since the first after the financial crisis 14 odd years ago. We've had an embargo since last September yet it was down to a last-game decider for a play off spot despite the shenanigans off the pitch. There was a protest outside the Chairmans house yesterday, and right now, supporters are protesting outside his house again. A deal is in the balance but it's going to be right down to the wire. This time tomorrow either we'll have new owners and got rid, or I'll be looking for a new team to support.

You did well to sign Shaun Hobson, good player.  Our defence last season only bettered by Wrexham and Notts County. Goalie gone to Sutton, another midfielder gone Hartlepool today. If we survive, next season will be hard. 

Awful to see, considering our own recent experiences with the brothers grim. 

Just now, Lee Sinnott said:

They will earn yet another reprieve. Hopefully they will face a heavy points deduction for dragging this debacle on for so long...

Tbf that only punishes the fans. Even if he goes today, the club is in a mess and thats punishment enough. 

From being a year ahead of us this time last year, their dquad build is probably now a year behind us and then some. 

Dont know the legalities of it but the league really needs to enforce some sort of power of attorney mechanism where they can force an owner to sell before it gets to this stage

12 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

Hi Glossop, I forgot we had a local Shrimper! Really sorry to see what you’re going through but you know we understand! Hopefully, as you say, this is brinkmanship and usually these kind of people are a snooker ball or two ahead of us so I still suspect we will be at Roots Hall in a few weeks although the problems for Southend may not be over.

You found a nice part of the world in Glossop (grew up in Marple Bridge/Mellor)

Hi Ritch, Marple, nice area. I came up north in 1999, purely for work at first, met a lass, got married, stayed put thereafter. She is an ardent Blackpool fan, as are most of the outlaws. Them and Fleetwood. The banter is always good. You could be right about the snooker ball. Rumour suggests there are now two bids. The Chairman is seeking another adjournment. Court today, but regardless, our squad is currently down to 11 players. Not good.

4 hours ago, philliggi said:

Tbf that only punishes the fans. Even if he goes today, the club is in a mess and thats punishment enough. 

From being a year ahead of us this time last year, their dquad build is probably now a year behind us and then some. 

Dont know the legalities of it but the league really needs to enforce some sort of power of attorney mechanism where they can force an owner to sell before it gets to this stage

The NL have been very lenient thus far. Only ny opinion but I think the last thing they want is another Dover or Macclesfield scenario. We are, and have been expecting a points deduction though. When the players weren't paid at the end of last  year contracts were breached. One of our players rescinded his contract, that went to court too.  He was subsequently signed up by Barnsley. 

Edited by Glossop Shrimper
Typo

33 minutes ago, Glossop Shrimper said:

The NL have been very lenient thus far. Only ny opinion but I think the last thing they want is another Dover or Macclesfield scenario. We are, and have been expecting a points deduction though. When the players weren't paid at the end of last  year contracts were breached. One of our players rescinded his contract, that went to court too.  He was subsequently signed up by Barnsley. 

How is he going to pay the tax bill and pay to run a club in that short time must be a concern.

There must be parties who could rescue the club like a local Frank?