MATCH: vs Chesterfield (A) 19/08/23 - 12.30 KO

21 minutes ago, tGWB said:

What's happening to us !

We draw 1-1 at the BOOKIES favourite for the League

Arguably our two best midfielders are out injured

Shamefully, Frank had to put up with fan anger, the wonderful man who saved our club

HATE for the Manager pouring out from the stands and all over Social Media

An extract from a post from a Chesterfield supporter:

"Thought Oldham looked okay and really well organised at the back and basically stopped us playing most of the game. Although we had most of the possession we didn't really create that many clear chances so a draw was a fair result in the end

I suspect you've had to shift through a lot of comments to find something that ties in with your narrative. We were shit.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Going back to the game I couldn't give any player more than 6/10, maybe Kitch on his 1st half performance, rest of them were shite and I don't care how they've been asked to play, basic skills like passing to a team mate from 10 yards away should be an absolute minimum requirement, midfield today was shocking again as was Raglan at the back who isn't a patch on Yarney.

Yes, early days but he hasn't impressed thus far.

23 minutes ago, JoeP said:

The point highlighted is bang on.

The rest of the post - we were woeful and absolutely robbed a point.  Lets not pretend otherwise. 

Would have to disagree, we didn't rob a point, the gameplan like it or not was obviously to sit deep and let them have the ball, Cook is wedded to 4-2-3-1 and showed his lack of tactical flexibility.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Would have to disagree, we didn't rob a point, the gameplan like it or not was obviously to sit deep and let them have the ball, Cook is wedded to 4-2-3-1 and showed his lack of tactical flexibility.

Nah, we didn't create one chance in the second-half.  We created little in the entire game, in spite of having 3 strikers on the pitch.

We scored from a chance created from literally nowhere.  Rhinoball at it's finest.

It ain't tactical genius.  We all know what a good team looks like and this isn't it.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

We played negatively so looking at it from territory and possession then yes we stole a point. But then again we had 63% possession against Halifax so did they steal those points? With all their possession, Chesterfield didn’t create that much. 

I’ve also said that we played badly, especially after they scored. But as has been said how many saves did Hudson have to make? Normally a robbery involves the keeper playing a blinder!

No, Halifax always looked dangerous on the break.  Scored twice, created two one on ones that Hudson saved.

Completely different.

10 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Nah, we didn't create one chance in the second-half.  We created little in the entire game, in spite of having 3 strikers on the pitch.

We scored from a chance created from literally nowhere.  Rhinoball at it's finest.

It ain't tactical genius.  We all know what a good team looks like and this isn't it.

Never said it was genius. We played worse after they scored. They didn't look like scoring either though.

1 hour ago, Ritchierich said:

Just seen the goal and I have to say Norwood is massively out of order and partly responsible for the chaos there. He has 1400 Latics fans right in front of him but elects to run over to the Chesterfield fans and take the piss!

If he had just run in to our end and celebrated with our fans it would (probably) have stayed there with only a few on the pitch around him

Proper dickhead behaviour tbh 

Maybe because many wore blue replica shirts he thought they were our fans?🤔

33 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Just as he did last season when we set up in similar fashion. The only difference being we scored first and had to hang on thanks to some batting defending and a Norman super show.

Didn't hear anyone moaning last time, so what has changed?  A sense of impatience after only four games.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Never said it was genius. We played worse after they scored. They didn't look like scoring either though.

Well they didn't need to if they were 1-0 up.  Of the two, they were still looked more likely because they had more of the ball.

8 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Come on - you can't possibly think today was anything but fortunate?

My take is that we edged the first half. I didn’t like the tactics but I thought we had the better chances. Had Norwood scored the one on one the plan would have been working at half time.

In the second half I thought we went to pieces after they scored. But other than the goal I didn’t feel like we would concede again, I just didn’t think we’d score. 

A bit fortunate maybe, a little undeserved based on intent or possession, maybe. But I don’t think it was robbery. 

• Like 1

Honest review of that...

First half I don't think was as bad as some have made out. We were playing away against the pre season title favourites who have been scoring for fun and we really limited them to one comfortably saved header and one volley over that their LB should have done better with. But we had chances and Norwood could easily have had us 1-0 up

Nuttall at RM was the strange one for me. I get it that our options put wide are limited at the minute, and Tollitt wasn't great on Tuesday, but if we're playing that system surely Reid is more suited to that role being a bit more mobile. Or Willoughby on the right, Dickerson left, and start Gardner.

Seems a bit like DU wants to justify the money spent on Nuttall by finding a way to fit him in to every XI

Second half first 10 mins I thought we were being a bit more aggressive and then another set piece goal let's us down

Really concerned about DU approach to going a goal down. Especially after the lack of action on Tuesday when you could see we were struggling to break Halifax down. He doesn't seem to change things during games when it's not going to plan

And the idiots running on the pitch have probably cost us a new signing after the fine.

• Like 1

Just a few random recollections from today in no particular order -

We created 3 good chances in the first half but can't recall any in the second half in front us but equally I can't remember that many more from Chesterfield either despite them undoubtedly having most of the possession.

We just seemed to stand off them deep in our half and then when they lost possession they pressed us very well in our own half so we made little progress up the field hence resorting to long balls.

We're crap at passing to each other or at least making progress in the right direction whilst passing.

Can't remember Hudson having to make many saves and those he did have to make were relatively simple ones.

I thought Gardner was quite good when he came on looking for forward passes and the goal came as a result of him shooting which we did precious little of in the match

Shelton was very poor and our right back Freeman didn't get forward much if at all and as a result most of our play was down the left where Kitching. Freeman and Dickinson again looked a bit leggy and as I said after the Halifax game neither of them look fully match fit.

Their goal came after a foul on Hogan and for our goal Fondop could have been ruled offside/interfering with play/goal keepers view but wasn't so that equals out in my view.

Sheron playing wide right after Kurt went off was a strange one.

I don't think Frank was abused but people were telling him to sack Unsworth.

Frank did look at little nonplussed by it but not troubled.

Norwood will score us goals with better service.

The fans running on the pitch was embarrassing to say the least. Absolute moronic dickheads.

Terrible to watch but they didn't tonk us and we got a point which I would have settled for before the game. 

Edited by IanMarshall's Mullet
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Well they didn't need to if they were 1-0 up.  Of the two, they were still looked more likely because they had more of the ball.

They didn't look like scoring full stop. They got down the sides a couple of times and there were a couple of scrambles but the Alamo it was not.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Well, I was pissed off with that performance, but on reflection the game plan was to sit back, starve them of oxygen and then hit them on the break. Hudson had very little to do, unlike Norman last season. But, to play this way you need to counter with pace and passing accuracy. Apart from the odd surge by Kitching and that chance by Norwood, we failed miserably to provide any threat. But, again, we rarely looked in trouble. You can have all the possession in the world, but it means nothing if you can't create chances. So, on balance, a draw was about right. 

Still, rhino ball is very difficult to watch. We are reflection of the manager when he was a player.

7 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Well, I was pissed off with that performance, but on reflection the game plan was to sit back, starve them of oxygen and then hit them on the break. Hudson had very little to do, unlike Norman last season. But, to play this way you need to counter with pace and passing accuracy. Apart from the odd surge by Kitching and that chance by Norwood, we failed miserably to provide any threat. But, again, we rarely looked in trouble. You can have all the possession in the world, but it means nothing if you can't create chances. So, on balance, a draw was about right. 

Still, rhino ball is very difficult to watch. We are reflection of the manager when he was a player.

I agree with your post. Unsworth's interview on our webpage is perhaps rather too upbeat with OTT praise for the players but other than that fairly reasonable I dare to say..........

2 minutes ago, IanMarshall's Mullet said:

I agree with your post. Unsworth's interview on our webpage is perhaps rather too upbeat with OTT praise for the players but other than that fairly reasonable I dare to say..........

I normally don’t care much about what gets said in interviews but I liked this one. Purely for the reason that he confidently stuck up for himself and his players. 

• Like 2