MATCH: vs Chesterfield (A) 19/08/23 - 12.30 KO

What’s with the mass hysteria surrounding Nuttall too? Why is he the boo boy of choice these days? Cause I watched that game yesterday looking for a player who didn’t look shit scared and negative when having the ball at their feet and Nuttall was one of a few that tried to do something positive in possession, who looked like he wanted the ball. He’s nowhere near the worse player in this team. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PlayItLivo said:

What’s with the mass hysteria surrounding Nuttall too? Why is he the boo boy of choice these days? Cause I watched that game yesterday looking for a player who didn’t look shit scared and negative when having the ball at their feet and Nuttall was one of a few that tried to do something positive in possession, who looked like he wanted the ball. He’s nowhere near the worse player in this team. 

Because some incorrectly see his languid style and not running around like Roadrunner as being lazy.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PlayItLivo said:

The problem with Nuttall is that however he plays he gets to start every match. He has generally been poor and yet other strikers don't get an opportunity. It's understandable that fans are frustrated. 

4 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

The problem with Nuttall is that however he plays he gets to start every match. He has generally been poor and yet other strikers don't get an opportunity. It's understandable that fans are frustrated. 

5 assists already.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

People just hate Nuttall for whatever reason it’s pathetic. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, PlayItLivo said:

Playing completely out of position as well. Set up our best chance prior to the goal with a lovely through ball to Norwood. BuT hE DoEsNt RuN AbOuT EnOuGh

I get it, we all want to be a swashbuckling winning team and It's frustrating when we don't get it. However I really do think some have a mindset now. They fail to see that yesterday we had the fair better chances and Norwood missed that lob first half that he scores the next 9 times against a side top of the league and free scoring to date.

Yes DU decided our best chance away from home against the fancied team was to be tight at the back and hit on the break. It worked. It nearly worked in the fist half and probably should have.

Who remembers boring boring Arsenal?. they won the first division that year and you know what, it still say's it in the record books.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

Where did I mention hate? I cannot understand why, based on his poor form over the time he's been with us, that he gets to start every match. 

He's flattered to deceive, but I still think he will come good. Needs to do a lot more though. The manager sticking him on the right wing doesn't help...

3 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

Where did I mention hate? I cannot understand why, based on his poor form over the time he's been with us, that he gets to start every match. 

People aren’t deciding this now after watching him for months, he’s been getting abuse for a long time now. 

And opinion on his form is subjective. Some could point to the fact he was a consistent part of a team that had play off form pretty much from when he came into the team, he was one of the top scorers in the division last season and is now linking up very well with Norwood this season. 

On the other hand some people thinks he “looks lazy”. 

19 minutes ago, Lags said:

I get it, we all want to be a swashbuckling winning team and It's frustrating when we don't get it. However I really do think some have a mindset now. They fail to see that yesterday we had the fair better chances and Norwood missed that lob first half that he scores the next 9 times against a side top of the league and free scoring to date.

Yes DU decided our best chance away from home against the fancied team was to be tight at the back and hit on the break. It worked. It nearly worked in the fist half and probably should have.

Who remembers boring boring Arsenal?. they won the first division that year and you know what, it still say's it in the record books.

We are letting 2 a game in and are amassing a point a game, comparing us to Arsenal is really funny, particularly when we can't string two passes together or show any kind of attacking intent. We set up the same at Southend and were picked apart so at least we didn't get embarrassed yesterday but this notion that that was an Unsworth masterclass yesterday is comical, it's how he sets up away from home week in week out.

• Like 1

Just now, yarddog73 said:

We are letting 2 a game in and are amassing a point a game, comparing us to Arsenal is really funny, particularly when we can't string two passes together or show any kind of attacking intent. We set up the same at Southend and were picked apart so at least we didn't get embarrassed yesterday but this notion that that was an Unsworth masterclass yesterday is comical, it's how he sets up away from home week in week out.

Set up the same as Southend? That's just a straight no we weren't.

With all the hysteria of yesterday, there hasn't been much comment on some of the reasons for what have been regarded as pretty poor performances both yesterday and Tuesday.

The pairing of Sheron and Shelton is probably the most devoid of creativity I have seen in an Oldham midfield.

Its a huge problem when you play the way we do. They have absolutely no ambition, creativity or ability to play in a progressive way. Every team in the division seems to find it way easier for their midfield to get their foot on the ball, play it forwards and carve an opportunity out.

Let's hope Lundstram, Ward or potential new midfielder can offer much more than the current pair, as the combination of the personnel and the manager's approach will mean we are always limited in how we control games and ultimately how much success we'll have.

The fear is the manager's approach will mean it doesn't matter who plays there anyway, but time will tell.

57 minutes ago, PlayItLivo said:

To be fair he isn't our biggest problem, felt sorry for him yesterday in a three like that it either has to be Norwood or Nuttall for me with pace either side, but he did a job and put a sublime ball through for Norwood which he should have done better with by the way. He's improved for me, looks fit and stronger I just hope he'd have that bit more urgency about his game or as someone pointed out this week come alive when the balls about.

2 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Set up the same as Southend? That's just a straight no we weren't.

By that I mean ultra defensive with 8 or 9 at the back, you can call a formation whatever you want but if you pull everyman behind the ball out of possession it doesn't matter. Just because you play 3 strikers it doesn't make you anymore attacking minded.

4 minutes ago, LaticsLegend said:

With all the hysteria of yesterday, there hasn't been much comment on some of the reasons for what have been regarded as pretty poor performances both yesterday and Tuesday.

The pairing of Sheron and Shelton is probably the most devoid of creativity I have seen in an Oldham midfield.

Its a huge problem when you play the way we do. They have absolutely no ambition, creativity or ability to play in a progressive way. Every team in the division seems to find it way easier for their midfield to get their foot on the ball, play it forwards and carve an opportunity out.

Let's hope Lundstram, Ward or potential new midfielder can offer much more than the current pair, as the combination of the personnel and the manager's approach will mean we are always limited in how we control games and ultimately how much success we'll have.

The fear is the manager's approach will mean it doesn't matter who plays there anyway, but time will tell.

Yes, those two in midfield are the biggest issue, both treat the ball like a hand grenade.

16 minutes ago, LaticsLegend said:

If you play Shit and Shitter you have to play one upfront in a 4-2-3-1, both work hard but offer nothing going forward, their passing ability and ball retention is actually embarrassing at times, Sheron is slightly better of the two but as central midfielders go you'd struggle to find a two so limited in possession. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LaticsLegend said:

Yes, I think we’ve got to get that new midfield pairing in and green back too. It really could be the difference between top 6 or mid table. 
but like you say it’s the tactics thing. This backs to the wall thing is crazy, particularly with the players we have now. It “worked” yesterday but another 20 seconds or so and it wouldn’t have worked and we would now be 9 points behind them. Ifs and buts I know but surely that isn’t the way to a successful season. 

25 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

By that I mean ultra defensive with 8 or 9 at the back, you can call a formation whatever you want but if you pull everyman behind the ball out of possession it doesn't matter. Just because you play 3 strikers it doesn't make you anymore attacking minded.

Well I'd guess that about half the posts on here post Southend (which was a debacle) were raging about playing five at the back. We didn't do that and we did a lot better.

Edited by Dave_Og

20 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Don't tell the 442 lads it doesn't matter

19 hours ago, longtimeblue said:

I suspect you've had to shift through a lot of comments to find something that ties in with your narrative. We were shit.

not according to BBC Radio Sheffield.

but, yeah. David Unsworth's Football is shite 😔. l've still got a 'needs must' type hope when l look at the midfield. but l'm not enjoying it, it feels like Anti-Football to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PlayItLivo said:

l'd say the abuse and hate of Nuttall involves lots and lots of projection and jealousy.