The Next Oldham Manager

45 minutes ago, Shrek said:

Don't give him the job based on that. Absolutely shite opposition. 

If Thompson is in the hunt they need to wait until we play a few decent sides. 

I'm under the impression that Thompson doesn't want the gig, but I hope whoever gets it (Mellon) decides to keep him on in some capacity...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I'm under the impression that Thompson doesn't want the gig, but I hope whoever gets it (Mellon) decides to keep him on in some capacity...

"The Board wants to ensure the process is thorough and that the merits of all candidates are properly considered."

That seems like a waste of time if they then appoint Mellon! (Unless he interviews really well!!!).

4 hours ago, longtimeblue said:

Got a bit of class about him, Thompson. Mentioned "the gaffer" a few times and the players' disappointment. Not that I believe it but it's a nice touch 

exactly my take on things. to see somebody thinking as theyre speaking rather than blustering buzz shite before the question is even over is far more reassuring.

These two wins have given the Board the opportunity to put their foot on the ball and really consider what type of appointment they want to make. On the back of this mini run I'd suggest they should have two additional criteria they may not have already considered:

1. The new manager should largely work with the existing squad this season with a couple of additions (RB, CM perhaps, exciting loan opportunities).

2. The new manager should be content to work with Steve Thompson as Head of Recruitment.

4 hours ago, longtimeblue said:

Got a bit of class about him, Thompson. Mentioned "the gaffer" a few times and the players' disappointment. Not that I believe it but it's a nice touch 

He looks to me as if he is trying very hard to be modest about the two results and mentions Unsworth to temper his obvious desire to blurt out the "truth" and possibly protect Unsworth from harsh criticism. Unsworth will, no doubt, be looking at the results since he left and maybe even watching the post-match interview..or he may have cut the club out completely..who knows?

Thompson seems affable and knowledgeable, his tangled family-history with the club certainly assumes a sense of belonging on some level. If he doesn't become manager then hopefully he keeps a role within the set-up as he appears to be a positive influence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wardie said:

hopefully he keeps a role within the set-up as he appears to be a positive influence.

On 9th November 2022, it was announced that Thompson had been appointed as Head of Recruitment at his hometown club Oldham Athletic. Thompson was appointed caretaker manager following the dismissal of David Unsworth on 17 September 2023.

Im assuming he will just go back to his role as Head of recruitment if he does`nt want or get the job.

4 minutes ago, bluentangerine said:

On 9th November 2022, it was announced that Thompson had been appointed as Head of Recruitment at his hometown club Oldham Athletic. Thompson was appointed caretaker manager following the dismissal of David Unsworth on 17 September 2023.

Im assuming he will just go back to his role as Head of recruitment if he does`nt want or get the job.

if he didnt have enough to do could he also have a look thru the list of applicants scribble a few notes and then sit in on the late stage interviews?

nice one Tommo appreciate it

Edited by Monty Burns
then

Our supporters who 'Howl at the Moon' will be out in full force soon

2 Home Wins and 6pts against a bottom end of the table York City and Oxford City a recent addition to the National League 

Our next 3 games are against the current bottom 3 teams in the Form Table Kidderminster (A) Wealdstone (A)  Maidenhead (H), all winnable you would think

Steve Thompson has done a good job of stopping the rot and looks to be getting a tune out of the squad and the addition of Neil Redfearn should help keep the momentum going

For me, Frank and the Board need to complete the search for a new manager and not be taken in by what will be a noisy section of support to appoint Steve and / or Neil if we win the next three games

If after due process Steve Thompson / Neil Redfearn is the standout candidate then so be it 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tGWB said:

2 Home Wins and 6pts against a bottom end of the table York City and Oxford City a recent addition to the National League 

Our next 3 games are against the current bottom 3 teams in the Form Table Kidderminster (A) Wealdstone (A)  Maidenhead (H), all winnable you would think

Steve Thompson has done a good job of stopping the rot and looks to be getting a tune out of the squad and the addition of Neil Redfearn should help keep the momentum going

For me, Frank and the Board need to complete the search for a new manager and not be taken in by what will be a noisy section of support to appoint Steve and / or Neil if we win the next three games

If after due process Steve Thompson / Neil Redfearn is the standout candidate then so be it 

I do not believe we will win all three of those games, I think if we could pick up two wins from the next three that would put us in a solid position. It will also give confidence to the players and a good foundation for the new man coming in. 

We need to win away from home asap and get that out the way! 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, tGWB said:

Putting the Thompson debate to one side, you do realise that Latics were, and still could be, in the same shit as those teams you mention above, possibly even worse, if both games were drawn or lost? True, the next three games could and should be winnable, we will have to wait and see but I wouldn't class the fans who have witnessed a positive transformation and are enthusing about the man who has done this, ones who "howl at the Moon".

I am sure the board will do a thorough job of recruitment this time, in fear of being bit on the ass again and for their own reputation and self esteem. However, there are no guarantees in football so we will have to sit tight, meanwhile, Thompson/Redfearn have a huge task on their hands and I hope they can continue improving the squad.

Edited by Wardie
Cack spelling
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, tGWB said:

To be fair, I suspect FR was (thankfully) influenced by fans' opinions regarding the sacking of DU. Fans aren't always right, of course, but what worried me was the number of supporters backing FR's initial stance of standing by his man. That position was foolhardy and probably influenced via some vested-interest views from the board.

Had we got rid of DU when we should have done (last season for me), I think we would have been pressing towards the top of the league with a regular 7,000 plus home support now. Unsworth held us back terribly - no doubt about that.

Presently, Thompson has restored a little bit of pride and put smiles back on faces. He comes across as humble, grounded (no big ego on show) and speaks common sense. He keeps things simple and trusts his players (don't think you would have heard him slagging off Harry Vaughan publicly, for example, as DU did). Early days but a very competent start indeed from Thompson; so well done!

If he carries on getting results and improving the players at his disposal (something DU was totally incapable of), he will become a serious candidate, for sure. 

Edited by wiseowl
grammar
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, tGWB said:

The thing about caretaker managers is that opinions flip from game to game. At the moment Thompson is doing no wrong so many are tipping him for the job. Lose or draw on Tuesday with a poor performance and that will change, a good win next Saturday and it’ll flip back again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

To be fair, I suspect FR was (thankfully) influenced by fans' opinions regarding the sacking of DU. Fans aren't always right, of course, but what worried me was the number of supporters backing FR's initial stance of standing by his man. That position was foolhardy and probably influenced via some vested-interest views from the board.

I prefer to have an owner who says he will do something and then carries it through.   Frank said he would give David Unsworth time and he did, he is the sort of bloke I would like to work for.

As for the implied blame from some quarters we should all remember that without the continued goodwill of the Rothwell family we would all be watching our football on Clayton Playing fields.  Probably under the same umbrella.

• Like 1