The Next Oldham Manager

4 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

I don’t give a toss who gets the job. The problem is the unbalanced squad of mostly gutless players that we have loaded the club with. 

It’s going to take some time to sort this mess out.

I agree, need another left back in case anything happens to kitching.

2 new right backs, one to start and one as cover. I thought Sutton had a decent game tonight but he's not the answer and Freeman has disappeared off the face of the earth. I know he's supposed to be on paternity leave but I'm sure I read he's only contracted till January anyway and not sure that will get extended.

Need another centre mid who can actually put his foot on the ball and create something. Thought Lundstram looked good tonight but if anything happens to him again we're back to square one and can't rely on Gardner with his injury record.

And don't know what is going on with Norwood. He runs about alot and gets stuck in but definitely not living up to expectations.

When Raglan's back wouldn't mind seeing him partner Hobson at the back. Think that would be our strongest pairing.

2 minutes ago, SpotTheBall85 said:

I agree, need another left back in case anything happens to kitching.

2 new right backs, one to start and one as cover. I thought Sutton had a decent game tonight but he's not the answer and Freeman has disappeared off the face of the earth. I know he's supposed to be on paternity leave but I'm sure I read he's only contracted till January anyway and not sure that will get extended.

Need another centre mid who can actually put his foot on the ball and create something. Thought Lundstram looked good tonight but if anything happens to him again we're back to square one and can't rely on Gardner with his injury record.

And don't know what is going on with Norwood. He runs about alot and gets stuck in but definitely not living up to expectations.

When Raglan's back wouldn't mind seeing him partner Hobson at the back. Think that would be our strongest pairing.

You are asking for at least three players.
Do you honestly think we are going to get what you are asking for?
I doubt it.

1 hour ago, diggleblue said:

Still doubting Thompson? Clarke about to lose 2 in a row! Wild losing again. At least we're playing football again and players seem happy.Give Tommo a chance.

We've not played football since we beat part time Oxford city.

We've since been outplayed by 2 other part time sides.

Trash.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wardie said:

You are asking for at least three players.
Do you honestly think we are going to get what you are asking for?
I doubt it.

I ain't asking for 3 players, I'm saying what I think is needed, and no I don't think that will happen and I can also see Thompson getting until the end of the season.

22 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

I don’t give a toss who gets the job. The problem is the unbalanced squad of mostly gutless players that we have loaded the club with. 

It’s going to take some time to sort this mess out.

Spot on Ritchie. 

He’s returned 11 points from 15 with a lob sided squad that just about has a starting 11 that might compete. The trouble is we still haven’t seen that best 11, and those underneath are obviously deemed not good enough. 

When you step back, he’s done well in those circumstances. 

3 minutes ago, SpotTheBall85 said:

I ain't asking for 3 players, I'm saying what I think is needed, and no I don't think that will happen and I can also see Thompson getting until the end of the season.

"..need another left back in case anything happens to Kitching 2 new right backs"
Is that not three players? 

Thompson ain't going to get it, he's does not have enough to achieve what the board want to achieve. Regardless of whatever happens, promotion is not on the cards, we don't have enough in the tank to achieve it. All that pre-season hope was for nothing.

9 minutes ago, Wardie said:

"..need another left back in case anything happens to Kitching 2 new right backs"
Is that not three players? 

Thompson ain't going to get it, he's does not have enough to achieve what the board want to achieve. Regardless of whatever happens, promotion is not on the cards, we don't have enough in the tank to achieve it. All that pre-season hope was for nothing.

I have actually said 4 players, 1 left back, 2 right backs and a centre midfielder. You obviously haven't read what I'm saying right. I have stated what I think is needed. I'm not asking for it as I don't expect many coming and goings in the squad.

I don't think Thompson will get it long term but think he will be given it till the end of the season with playoffs being minimum. Think that can be achieved but doubt we will go up.

That's just my opinion, obviously you have yours that don't align with mine and that's fine, not going to argue over it, we all want the same thing at the end of the day.

Edited by SpotTheBall85
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Spot on Ritchie. 

He’s returned 11 points from 15 with a lob sided squad that just about has a starting 11 that might compete. The trouble is we still haven’t seen that best 11, and those underneath are obviously deemed not good enough. 

When you step back, he’s done well in those circumstances. 

You do know he assembled the squad...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ritchierich said:

Agree with that 100%!!

IMO too many of our players are as weak as piss.

Dickenson & Tollitt if given space & time can ping em in from outside the box but are very limited the rest of the time.

Hogan is another poor player who needs replacing with Raglan or Sutton

and Freeman or a n other need to come in at RFB.

We need a LFB too as Kitching is totally wasted in defence and should be playing LM!

The Shelton & Sheron partnership has been done to death!

Whoever sanctioned the Norwood deal wants sectioning…what a waste of a top striker!!

Nuttall came on towards the end and did his usual sum of fuck all….he is the most disinterested player I’ve ever seen in a Latics shirt and if I was coming in he would be the 1st player out of the door!!

Unsworth has made an absolute town halls of it all and we are nowhere near a promotion side.

IMO…with this squad of players, whoever it is who comes in has a massive job on his hands!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, diggleblue said:

Still doubting Thompson? Clarke about to lose 2 in a row! Wild losing again. At least we're playing football again and players seem happy.Give Tommo a chance.

Asking Clarke to turn Cheltenham round is a big one. It's October and they haven't scored yet.

Does anyone know what's happening with the recruitment process? Have they shortlisted yet? Have they started interviewing? The club have been very quiet on this sort of detail, not exactly transparent. I actually think it's more important they get it right than get it done quickly but it would be good if they kept the fanbase informed.

4 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Does anyone know what's happening with the recruitment process? Have they shortlisted yet? Have they started interviewing? The club have been very quiet on this sort of detail, not exactly transparent. I actually think it's more important they get it right than get it done quickly but it would be good if they kept the fanbase informed.

You'd imagine the guy unbeaten in 5 games is the front runner...

Amazing how we've gone from "Unsworth is ruining this squad, any half decent manager would easily have this squad in the playoffs" to "this squad is dogshit, no one could have them competing" in the space of a couple of weeks.

I think the actual problem lies somewhere in the middle. Last night was poor in the 2nd half, and even though we were better in the 1st we still aren't creating many chances and look disconnected between midfield and up front.  I believe that this squad is capable of better performances than that. We need a couple of additions definitely but not a full overhaul.

I said when DU went that I'd rather ST and PM go back to their important roles and get an outsider in. I still think that. Not a reflection on ST though as he's done very well overall.  I just think we'd be better served with a complete fresh start. I don't envy the board having to make the choice though. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

Best done in private 

23 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

This was from the club just under 2 weeks ago...

At a Board meeting held this week, a recruitment process was agreed upon and will be followed over the coming weeks. The Board wants to ensure the process is thorough and that the merits of all candidates are properly considered.

They're talking in terms of weeks. So I'm guessing the processing of applicants and conducting interviews will be ongoing. I'm not sure what more there is to update at this stage. 

The market, which I imagine has attracted minimal money, has been stagnant for some time with ST at 1/3.  I wish this was a liquid market on Betfair because I would lay that until my feet bled.  I've no clue who the next incumbent may be but I don't think it will be anyone who is currently at the club