MATCH: Kidderminster Harriers (A) 26/09/23

4 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Was a poor footballing performance but was a good scrappy win. The players kept fighting and we're always in with a chance of nicking a goal with the forward options we have.

One for @League one forever ... the formation change Thompson referred to in his interview I'm pretty certain was a move to 3-5-2!! Dickenson got called over after they scored and came back on with a truck load of instruction for everyone. He ended up central behind the front 2. Green and Kitching as wing backs.

Shelton looks devoid of any confidence. I feel sorry for him. The problem Thompson has (and Unsworth had) is who plays instead? He's been on the bench recently while it's been Gardner and Sheron but when Gardner comes off who else would go on?  When injuries clear up he needs a spell out of the team or maybe a different formation or players alongside him will help. There's clearly a player in there given the reviews from Hartlepool fans. Whoever is the manager just needs to work out how to get him back to that form.

Unsworth ruined him along with half a dozen others by basically stopping them from playing football and asking them to do jobs they just aren't comfortable doing, Unsworth and Ebbrell sapped the life out of them but Thompson has a responsibility to work put which ones are up to it. I've always thought Shelton's best position is at rightback but I think Sutton and Freeman are in front of him there, other than that I only see him as a direct replacement for Sheron in a CDM role, he just doesn't do enough in a midfield two particularly when Sheron is the other one in there.

50 minutes ago, ceskylatic said:

I was stood on the right hand side as you look onto the pitch and could hear it coming from the middle/left when he came on to replace Gardner.

Who else were they expecting to come on into the middle and replace him?

I don't think he had a terrible game myself. He misplaced a couple of passes and struggled to impose himself on the game but he wasn't dreadful. I've said this before out midfield is weak because out of the four playing there only one - Sheron - is capable of regularly winning the ball. It's imbalanced. We surrendered possession too easy last night and had little way of getting the ball back.

Having said that, our resolve was excellent and encouraging last night. We hit a snag with them equalising but the character we showed was really encouraging. You feel heads would've dropped under the previous management. Its a big mentality shift.

Kitching was my MOM, purely on the stepping up when it was 1-1. However Hobson and Hogan were rock solid on the whole and Dickenson ran his legs off. 

• Like 4

Just now, yarddog73 said:

Unsworth ruined him along with half a dozen others by basically stopping them from playing football and asking them to do jobs they just aren't comfortable doing, Unsworth and Ebbrell sapped the life out of them but Thompson has a responsibility to work put which ones are up to it. I've always thought Shelton's best position is at rightback but I think Sutton and Freeman are in front of him there, other than that I only see him as a direct replacement for Sheron in a CDM role, he just doesn't do enough in a midfield two particularly when Sheron is the other one in there.

Which makes how some fans act toward him even more frustrating. It won't help him with any booing or loud shouts of "forward" whenever he gets the ball no matter what situation he's in.

Not sure what formation Hartlepool played that worked for him. Maybe he'd do better in a 3? I thought he looked better when Dickenson moved centrally.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JoeP said:

I'm pretty amazed by that line of thinking to be honest.

I'm still amazed at @doctor evil's description of Green as 'garbage' and 'runs around like a headless chicken', especially since he's bossed the match following that and scored an absolute ping last night.

To quote Alan Partridge... Some people.

• Like 2

Shelton is extremely poor. He’s chasing shadows, doesn’t look for the ball, can’t pass the ball and rarely wins the ball back. I have never seen him looking like attacking, he’s truly awful.

We need an attacking midfielder who can link the forwards and midfield. Dickinson did an excellent job at that last night, but he’s not the long term solution. Though that change did win us the game last night. 

Sheron and Shelton cannot play together. We sit so deep because they can’t retain or pass the football. It’s a huge worry. 

3 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Shelton is extremely poor. He’s chasing shadows, doesn’t look for the ball, can’t pass the ball and rarely wins the ball back. I have never seen him looking like attacking, he’s truly awful.

We need an attacking midfielder who can link the forwards and midfield. Dickinson did an excellent job at that last night, but he’s not the long term solution. Though that change did win us the game last night. 

Sheron and Shelton cannot play together. We sit so deep because they can’t retain or pass the football. It’s a huge worry. 

He's clearly not awful given his past. But for whatever reason he hasn't shown any of that with us. It's up to the club and particularly the coaching staff to work out why that is and to try and get him back to being that player again. If that's not possible then the lad needs moving on for his own sake.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

Good news. 

What was your assessment of the game ? 

Probably the best we've played this season and that's not saying much. Changed from 5 at the back to 4 but then NKP got injured and changes were made. We still had most of the possession but did nothing with it where it matters.

We still can't score but I think that was down to your solid defending protecting your suspect keeper. Then again Dibble is suspect too so they're quits.

Keep that formation against Barnet on Saturday and we might do both of us a favour.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

One for @League one forever ... the formation change Thompson referred to in his interview I'm pretty certain was a move to 3-5-2!! Dickenson got called over after they scored and came back on with a truck load of instruction for everyone. He ended up central behind the front 2. Green and Kitching as wing backs.

I’ve always maintained- I’m not wedded to 442 in itself. I do think it has merits, especially when you’re struggling because it clears minds and keep things simple. Which shouldn’t  be underestimated with division 5 players. 

But the more salient point is, I don’t care what formation we play as long as the coach/manager is good enough tactically to implement it. I don’t want players looking lost, or played in unnatural positions to force a formation either. 

If the players look comfortable and are well drilled, they can play whatever formation they want. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I’ve always maintained- I’m not wedded to 442 in itself. I do think it has merits, especially when you’re struggling because it clears minds and keep things simple. Which shouldn’t  be underestimated with division 5 players. 

But the more salient point is, I don’t care what formation we play as long as the coach/manager is good enough tactically to implement it. I don’t want players looking lost, or played in unnatural positions to force a formation either. 

If the players look comfortable and are well drilled, they can play whatever formation they want. 

I know. Was just a light hearted dig.

The positive thing about last night was that they did look comfortable playing it. So Thompson and Redfearn must be doing a good job of getting their message across.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, doctor evil said:

To quote Shaggy, It wasn't me...

apologies. It was @sjk2008 who was the mild mannered janitor. Amazingly baggy aged hot take. 😂

On 9/19/2023 at 11:11 PM, sjk2008 said:

Green - 5: Garbage. Really don’t get the love in for him. Has pace and that’s it, headless chicken springs to mind. He should be a sub/impact player at the very most.

10 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I know. Was just a light hearted dig.

The positive thing about last night was that they did look comfortable playing it. So Thompson and Redfearn must be doing a good job of getting their message across.

I think some variation of 5 at the back is the best setup for this team but the rwb slot is a tricky one to fill. I'd have put green there before the last 2 games but he's looked excellent when he's drifted into the middle so I'd want him to stay there. I think feasibly hope could do it but we just really need an attacking RB....

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

apologies. It was @sjk2008 who was the mild mannered janitor. Amazingly baggy aged hot take. 😂

In my defence, I have apologised for this take further up the thread.

I’m not completely sold yet despite him looking good the last few games as we couldn’t have asked for 3 easier fixtures, but I’m definitely open to changing my view.

• Like 1