MATCH: Gateshead (H) 23/12/23 ๐ŸŽ„

So 1st half I thought we played the game plan really well and, despite Gateshead looking tidy on the ball, we looked pretty comfortable.

ย 

Then we go and put in a performance like that in the 2nd half.ย  With the amount of experienced and physical players that we have in the squad there is no way that we should be throwing that game away in the manner that we did.

ย 

I really believe that there are a lot of players that we have in this squad that can offer something to us and be part of the next 18 months where hopefully we'll be pushing for the playoffs or promotion regardless of which league we're in (not National League North before anyone mentions it), but because every player seems to be maddeningly inconsistent from half-to-half, none of them are safe from being culled in my eyes.

ย 

Finally Gateshead deserve a lot of credit because it's one thing having the players who can play their style at this level, but it's another for them to have the confidence in their ability to play that way when going a goal down.ย  Then to keep it going and looking far more likely to score a 3rd than for us to equalise is not something many teams with their budget can do.ย  We were rubbish in the 2nd half, but they were very good.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, L1onheartNew said:

Being serious here.

ย 

With the exception of our 3-2 over Liverpool, no one has passed the ball around with so much ease and accuracy as these guys.

Every single player is comfortable with the ball and invariably, no pass is ever wasted. No one panics in possession.

ย 

Mickleover did.

3 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

So 1st half I thought we played the game plan really well and, despite Gateshead looking tidy on the ball, we looked pretty comfortable.

ย 

Then we go and put in a performance like that in the 2nd half.ย  With the amount of experienced and physical players that we have in the squad there is no way that we should be throwing that game away in the manner that we did.

ย 

I really believe that there are a lot of players that we have in this squad that can offer something to us and be part of the next 18 months where hopefully we'll be pushing for the playoffs or promotion regardless of which league we're in (not National League North before anyone mentions it), but because every player seems to be maddeningly inconsistent from half-to-half, none of them are safe from being culled in my eyes.

ย 

Finally Gateshead deserve a lot of credit because it's one thing having the players who can play their style at this level, but it's another for them to have the confidence in their ability to play that way when going a goal down.ย  Then to keep it going and looking far more likely to score a 3rd than for us to equalise is not something many teams with their budget can do.ย  We were rubbish in the 2nd half, but they were very good.

I don't agree the tram looked comfortable in either half.

We scored against the run of play.

• Like 1

To set up and play like an Unsworth team is criminal in my eyes, to then leave Willoughby and Hope on the bench in favour of the raffle winner was again a bit of an head scratcher.

ย 

Can't talk about how shit Norwood was today either, he's far too good to critique.ย 

11 minutes ago, League one forever said:

ย 

Yeah, I was fuming when he scored.๐Ÿ˜‚

ย 

If youโ€™re going to come on and post absolute shite, donโ€™t get upset when youโ€™re called on it. Youโ€™re talking generalised nonsense.ย 
ย 

Itโ€™s Christmas.ย 
ย 

Go and get a beer and chill out.ย 

I said our midfield, Hogan and Sutton were poor and I wish we played like Gateshead.ย 
ย 

You are just delusional. Sheron had a good half a game of football last week. Back to being over run by Callum Fucking Whelan this week, so well done for supporting him.ย 
ย 

The other two were just as shit. But McGahey is a centre back.ย 

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

To set up and play like an Unsworth team is criminal in my eyes, to then leave Willoughby and Hope on the bench in favour of the raffle winner was again a bit of an head scratcher.

ย 

Can't talk about how shit Norwood was today either, he's far too good to critique.ย 

Norwood was poor today. But he had one chance and scored. He also had 0 support / service. Give the man a break ๐Ÿ˜‚ย 

7 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

ย 

ย 

ย 

We played a 5-2-3 or 6-1-3 for much of the first half, if that was the game plan against Gateshead I give up.

22 minutes ago, astottie said:

They know where their team mates are going to run and therefore put the ball there.

This, there was always a man ready to receive a pass, Gateshead's movement was a joy to watch, we were too static. The majority of our players just aren't up to it, I'm not having a go at the young lad but Moore showed that he isn't quite ready to step up yet. I can only imagine Lundstram was injured because he was our only midfielder who looked like a footballer.ย 

37 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

They don't call him Five Promotions Micky for nothing.

ย 

That's right...

ย 

He's made ONE signing since he's come in, that he can claim as his own.ย  After that he's picking peanuts from the shit Unsworth left behind.

ย 

I'd keep Hobson and Kitching, take or leave a couple of others and replace everyone else..

• Like 1

Just now, JoeP said:

ย 

That's right...

ย 

He's made ONE signing since he's come in, that he can claim as his own.ย  After that he's picking peanuts from the shit Unsworth left behind.

ย 

I'd keep Hobson and Kitching, take or leave a couple of others and replace everyone else..

Our squad was the envy of the league not long ago, all we needed to do was change the manager and lift off would commence.

4 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Norwood was poor today. But he had one chance and scored. He also had 0 support / service. Give the man a break ๐Ÿ˜‚ย 

ย 

He'd have scored an hat trick if on Gateheads team, some brilliant slick through passes from their 8 and 11.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

We've got the best guy we could get apparently, five promotions and all that, you never know, we might get it right one day.

He also inherited an absolute stinking pile of shite of a squad from the previous Brains Trustย 

ย 

I'd only be sad to see about 2 or 3 of these players leave.ย 

• Like 1

Just now, ghost of Leonard said:

I feel sorry for Frank.

Let down badly by people who should know better.

No promotion is catastrophic ,lossย  of funding for the academy is incoming if there is no promotion ( and there won't be).

I'd stick with Mellon and trust him with recruitment ,and the team needs dramatically strengthening.

ย 

Do they actually pass a ball in training or just run around cones like we see so often from the Latics media?

• Like 1