MATCH: Gateshead (H) 23/12/23 🎄

25 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I'd just like to put it on record before it starts getting spread as fact that I don't hold the same view as Summerdeep, I actually think we are fortunate to have Mellon and Brabin and you won't hear nothing along the lines of Mellon out from me.

Are you implying that I'm advocating 'Mellon out'? If so, maybe you should take a closer look at my posts. By the way, I actually agree with at least 90% of what you say in your post.

8 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Yes, he's watched us before he got the job I assume so should have known what was needed immediately and done something about it.

Instead he brought in another striker when we have 5 on the books and complains about his defenders.

It’s all so easy in your world isn’t it?

38 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

FTFY. And I’m confident he does have the resolution.

I didn't realize that editing other people's posts was a thing in this neck of the woods. I'll have to keep a close eye on you in future, Worcester Owl, lol.

21 minutes ago, Sloshed Joe said:

Not sure if it’s been mentioned, but wasn’t the first Gateshead goal massively offside? Looked like it for me sat in line and the linesman was nowhere near up with play. 

Didn't look it to me but even if it was they'd of scored more. They were so much better than us.

8 hours ago, Summerdeep said:

Are you implying that I'm advocating 'Mellon out'? If so, maybe you should take a closer look at my posts. By the way, I actually agree with at least 90% of what you say in your post.

No not at all but when you start to second guess other posters motives and intentions it can sometimes start to get passed over as fact. I think 90%+ are happy with the manager so far and understand that it would be unfair to judge him until he's been given a fair crack.

Those who are now saying Thompson should have kept it need to remember that he was the one involved in bringing many of these players in, many of whom don't appear to be up to it.

Got to say though starting with a midfield two of McGahey and Sheron was mind blowing yesterday and they were always going to get over run, not sure whose doing the tactical analysis but I'm pretty sure surrendering the middle third of the pitch couldn't have been in the report, we dealt with it at their place by playing a high press with a midfield five, did nobody watch the video?.

• Like 3

I think MM has completed his squad assessment and now knows what we already know!! He’s given just about everyone a chance to make their mark and the vast majority have failed both individually and collectively! 

That was as comprehensive a victory as you’re ever liable to see, Gateshead, yes Gateshead!!!!……made us look silly and appeared to be at least 2 divisions higher.

We were never ever in that game from minute one and the score line could and should have been much worse!

Barring two or three our budget has been spunked on weak as piss and technically inept footballers who would struggle to make an impact in NLN!
Gateshead, who have recently lost their influential manager, were so superior it was frightening, and alarmingly, it just shows how far off we are as a team.

The Royle’s should be totally embarrassed by their first managerial appointment because next season it looks like we’ll almost certainly be once again starting from scratch and the retained list at the end of May could be the shortest in living memory.

This will be MM’s biggest test and I just hope he’s up to it.

I think we could be in this league for a good while longer!!

Edited by oafc1955
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, JoeP said:

Not particularly aimed at you, but...

Unsworth given a budget, resources, came with red flags and was clearly shit from the start = Needs time to turn this around.

Mellon given no budget, expected to juggle Unsworth's shit, 5 promotions and has shown signs he can get a tune out of the players in spite of that = it's going to end in tears sooner rather than later.

Unless we start hurtling towards the bottom, Mellon can do what he wants in terms of subs and team selection to help him work out what he needs and who he can get something out of moving forward.  I think we do need to right this season off.  Even if we get in the play-offs, I wouldn't fancy our chances at all to be consistent enough to win them.

He's been here the shortest time out of anyone at the club, yet is the one we're looking at first?  Not for me, as it stands...

As it stands…🤔

Whilst I agree with a lot of the above, it was clear very early on yesterday that playing 5 at the back was not working. 

Gateshead were by far the best passing team I have seen at this level. They were quicker than us in thought and movement. 

We by comparison looked decidedly average - too many (again) were off the pace and panicked when put under pressure.

Often we had three central defenders marking one forward while the midfield was overrun or simply bypassed.

Mellon spent a large part of the game screaming at his players to get further forward and work harder - yet when there was a break in play he did not bring them to the touchline to get his points across.

As it stands, I’m not convinced that Mellon is getting it right. It’s clear from his demeanour that he does not rate many of the players at his disposal - in his post match interviews he continually stresses ‘we’ to prevent him from slagging off the team.

Of course he gets more time from me but there are one or two niggling doubts about his performance so far…😮

10 hours ago, TwistingMyMellon said:

What's the answer then? Sack him?

Half  a dozen players who are quick and can pass a ball. Gateshead on a much smaller budget found then so have Altrincham.

Almost 7,000 fans 

deserve better footballers than this lot 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

As it stands…🤔

Whilst I agree with a lot of the above, it was clear very early on yesterday that playing 5 at the back was not working. 

Gateshead were by far the best passing team I have seen at this level. They were quicker than us in thought and movement. 

We by comparison looked decidedly average - too many (again) were off the pace and panicked when put under pressure.

Often we had three central defenders marking one forward while the midfield was overrun or simply bypassed.

Mellon spent a large part of the game screaming at his players to get further forward and work harder - yet when there was a break in play he did not bring them to the touchline to get his points across.

As it stands, I’m not convinced that Mellon is getting it right. It’s clear from his demeanour that he does not rate many of the players at his disposal - in his post match interviews he continually stresses ‘we’ to prevent him from slagging off the team.

Of course he gets more time from me but there are one or two niggling doubts about his performance so far…😮

All this is entirely true but he probably took the job and thought he could make us competitive with what we had on paper but didn't realise how lopsided and weak the squad actually is. If we were going out playing in such a naive way a year from now I'd get that but he's not even made one permanent signing yet and it appears he doesn't rate or trust 80% of those he's inherited.

He's as much at fault for yesterday really as there are proven ways to deal with your Gatesheads and Wealdstones of this League who like to play possession football, 5-2-3 or 6-1-3 wasn't one of them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Summerdeep said:

I get the impression that a good few posters on here are beginning to lose faith in his judgment and maybe his overall managerial capabilities. If that's representative of the fan base as a whole, it's not great news.

Also, the obvious persistence of dismal home performances.

5 central defenders at home against a quick passing team was a recipe for disaster. Not sure what his assistant does as I see no sharpness,  team shape, off the ball play, or closing down.

Carry on like this and the board will be concerned  a couple of thousand fans won't bother attending again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sloshed Joe said:

Not sure if it’s been mentioned, but wasn’t the first Gateshead goal massively offside? Looked like it for me sat in line and the linesman was nowhere near up with play. 

I was level with it in the North Stand definitely not offside they did us for movement.

I think what we've learned from Mellon's tenure so far is that he can get a tune out of this lot away from home when there is less emphasis to take control of the game and the away results Barring the shambles at Fylde have been that of a promotion chasing side. The home performances have been that of a side fighting relegation. I think its clear that their are players in the team who he trusts and those he doesn't. I think Ward and Dickensen aren't in his plans at all nothing to suggest they are injured.

My position is the same as last week we can get into the top 7 if we sign those 3 or 4 players needed particularly in midfield and solve the right back/wing back conundrum. I think he's OK with both Sutton and Mcgahey as members of his squad but he's putting them in as stop gaps because he doesn't trust the other midfielders/right sided players on the books to do a job for him.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 1

Final point on yesterday was why did he keep barking at Norwood, Lundstrum and Stones to chase down the ball, if McGahey and Sheron along with Sutton and Kitching back that up then it's pointless, we had a 30 yard gap between the back 7 and the front 3, as soon as Gateshead broke that they were in and bearing down on us again, it was almost like you could see what they do on the training ground and putting it in to practice on a Saturday.

Us sitting in there thinking we could repel it was just embarrassing to watch for a couple of reason, one being we should never set up at home like that ever again and concede possession or territory and the other one is we had seven outfield players defensively minded who couldn't between them do the fundamentals and back themselves to keep them out, it was almost inevitable what was going to happen, we couldn't defend our six yard box despite having six centrehalfs with EFL experience on the pitch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

No not at all but when you start to second guess other posters motives and intentions it can sometimes start to get passed over as fact. I think 90%+ are happy with the manager so far and understand that it would be unfair to judge him until he's been given a fair crack.

Those who are now saying Thompson should have kept it need to remember that he was the one involved in bringing many of these players in, many of whom don't appear to be up to it.

I have said before Thompson recommended many good quick players, but DU wanted 'experience' and agents rule today.

3 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Looking at our match day squad what formation would you suggest?

Until we've enough ourselves and an identity for teams to worry about us I would always favour a 4-5-1 against your better footballing teams, at their place we deserved to win and we played 4-5-1.

Hudson

Sutton

Hobson

Hogan

Kitching

Green

Shelton

Gardner 

Sheron

Dickinson 

Norwood

We only lost initiative when Unsworth brought more forwards on. Yesterday we didn't need a back five or six you  need a midfield stopping them from playing in the pockets.

Hudson

Sutton. RB!! Shit

Hobson

Hogan

Kitching

Green. Injured/shit

Shelton.  You’re joking…. shit

Gardner Injured 

Sheron

Dickinson Injured/shit

Norwood

Regardless it’s all just damage limitation….the fact we can’t compete head to head with fucking Gateshead at home and haven’t beaten them yet is what’s seriously pissing me off!!

Edited by oafc1955