MATCH: Gateshead (H) 23/12/23 🎄

2 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

McGahey couldn't be arsed tracking his man, had to make a save from a lad 2 yards out and it wasn't the kind of floated cross you just come and claim. McGahey at fault

Not an easy one to come for

Ye, with zero idea who he is or what he brings to the table, you start questioning his assistant. Strange

If he's heading it from 2 yards out as you say, I'd expect the keeper to be claiming it. And that's before I start on the pitiful attempt of saving the initial header...

10 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

I took my brother yesterday to his first game since 1978. He quite enjoyed it, but then he wasn't emotionally invested.

Mellon would have been well aware of the abilities of most members of this squad as most of them have played in games he's been involved in.  I'm therefore surprised that he's so perplexed about how to get anything out of them.

A bold claim. Evidence?

41 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

You remember incorrectly on this occasion, my friend...

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story 🙂, it was in front of the dugouts as I sat in the Main Stand Upper for that one, I'm thinking it was maybe against Bradford then in the piss pot trophy, I'm sure you will know.

9 hours ago, JoeP said:

He's managed over 700 games.  Given I would struggle to name many opposition player from the last 10 years+, I think it's a bit harsh to assume he'd have comprehensive knowledge on every player from games he's been involved in

But it's his job. I'd guess he keeps more of a record than we do

47 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

He's been a manager at or around this level for multiple seasons.

True, but not quite what you said. I would need to see which of our players he has seen, and how often, to substantiate your claim.

Meanwhile, Mellon has been in charge for how many league games? That’s a general question, not aimed specifically at you. Do people expect him to produce miracles with the Unsworth/Thompson/Royle legacy? How many seasons did Ferguson get at United before he started winning trophies?

26 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

True, but not quite what you said. I would need to see which of our players he has seen, and how often, to substantiate your claim.

Meanwhile, Mellon has been in charge for how many league games? That’s a general question, not aimed specifically at you. Do people expect him to produce miracles with the Unsworth/Thompson/Royle legacy? How many seasons did Ferguson get at United before he started winning trophies?

He'll have seen quite a few and presumably had loads of contacts so will have been aware of plenty more. Presumably will have kept his knowledge up to date as was happy to get back in.

Sadly the world has changed in this regard, nobody gets an extended time now to succeed. I'm not, by way, suggesting that his time is up.

9 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

The point I was making is that if his words have a familiar ring to them, it’s because nothing is improving at home.

I was surprised that he made little effort to change the formation yesterday. 

Revert to 442, Hogan and Stones off, Hope and Fondop on - and do it before we go behind 😮

6 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

WTF do you expect him to say?

It’s not about what I expect him to say, it’s more about if he’s saying the same thing each time then he needs to change it!

See my earlier post 😮

10 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story 🙂, it was in front of the dugouts as I sat in the Main Stand Upper for that one, I'm thinking it was maybe against Bradford then in the piss pot trophy, I'm sure you will know.

Notts County and Grealish wasn’t even on the pitch having been subbed at HT. IIRC correctly Grealish had been booked and then been wound up by the paddocks to the point where he was unlikely to last longer.

He went on social media after the game and called Oldham fans melts.

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

Notts County and Grealish wasn’t even on the pitch having been subbed at HT. IIRC correctly Grealish had been booked and then been wound up by the paddocks to the point where he was unlikely to last longer.

He went on social media after the game and called Oldham fans melts.

I'd be offended if I knew what that meant.

Must be a national holiday with all these comments.

Mellon knows the obvious weakness of our squad and therefore decided on a let them have the ball until the final third.  It worked well for the first half because we scored and then started to play better.

Gateshead obviously told what was needed second half hence the early goal.  Our team then flat so only one result possible.

Some strange substitutions!

Crap atmosphere again at BP . Appears the same people are stirring up the negativity on here once again . Despite knowing as we all do what is needed , but cant be done immediately. Without minimum 3/4 new players we wont finish any higher than 10th . Mellon is not too blame and is stuck with a squad of unbalanced lightweights and a highly overated strike force excluding Norwood.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, penrhyn said:

Crap atmosphere again at BP . Appears the same people are stirring up the negativity on here once again . Despite knowing as we all do what is needed , but cant be done immediately. Without minimum 3/4 new players we wont finish any higher than 10th . Mellon is not too blame and is stuck with a squad of unbalanced lightweights and a highly overated strike force excluding Norwood.

Totally agree. In the past when matches have been rubbish the atmosphere has cheered me up but it looks as though the Athleticos are struggling to raise the morale at the moment.

The biggest cheer and loudest chant was when they hit the crossbar after the ref had stopped play. THAT is how bad it is getting.

1 hour ago, Only Blue said:

Totally agree. In the past when matches have been rubbish the atmosphere has cheered me up but it looks as though the Athleticos are struggling to raise the morale at the moment.

The biggest cheer and loudest chant was when they hit the crossbar after the ref had stopped play. THAT is how bad it is getting.

At least people are showing some patience. If we'd played like that under Unsy it'd have been toxic.

1 hour ago, Only Blue said:

The reason for the flat atmosphere at home is the way the team is set up to play and its continuing underperformance. The manager has to take some of the responsibility for this. 

It’s an easy cop out to say that Mellon has inherited bad players - that is only part of the story.
The manager is making mistakes in formation and team selection and it’s his job to get more out of what he has at his disposal. The squad has shown that it can do it albeit not consistently. 

He has made his mind up about many players but, until he can move them on and bring better players in, he has to get more from the current crop. 
After all, that’s what he’s paid to do surely?

• Like 1

• Matt unfeatured this topic