Micky Mellon Sack Watch

22 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Personally I’d love to see some of our own come through and sold for profit- that hopefully would be re- invested in the first team. We can’t just rely on Frank pouring money in, the club needs to look at every avenue to make money. 

I think the realistic objective (sadly) of the youth set up is to flog players wherever possible before they get anywhere near the first team and hope that one of them generates a sell on fee.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Looking increasingly obvious that not much thought went into the appointment beyond looking at his previous record.

He was clearly brought in to either win or go very close to winning promotion this season and got nowhere near it.

Nowhere near it?

18 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I think the realistic objective (sadly) of the youth set up is to flog players wherever possible before they get anywhere near the first team and hope that one of them generates a sell on fee.

I suspect Atherton is being mothballed in order to boost the budget in summer.

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

He was there before, which shows the youth team was producing players before Frank and co and they didn’t have to start again or wait years for the youth team to bear fruit. 

It’s not a competition and I wasn’t comparing BP to Mellon and Co, I just know he watches a lot of youth team football and has spoken highly of a couple- it would be nice if we could develop a couple. We’ll never know, if we never give them a go. 

One was Forshaw I think, and I can’t remember the other lads name. 

In your opinion- Do you think a profitable youth team is important for the club. Or do you think it’s just a nice to have? 

Personally I’d love to see some of our own come through and sold for profit- that hopefully would be re- invested in the first team. We can’t just rely on Frank pouring money in, the club needs to look at every avenue to make money. 

Forshaw wasn't one of mine, it was Harry Vaughan before he made a first team appearance.

I have watched and recommended Alex Robertson from Manchester City (I urged ST to sign him on loan immediately) Nick Haughton, Ryan Colclough, Conn Clarke, Regan Linney and  Adam Crowther.

The one who hasn't really has a chance to prove himself is the powerhouse Colwyn Bay right back Alex Downes, although he's now playing a league higher than last season and rated as one of the best in the Welsh Premier League.

I still think Will Sutton will play higher than us, but as a centre back)

We don't need another CD, but young Devon Matthews of Curzon Ashton is a good prospect.

Of the youths I've recommended Alfie Atherton and centre forward Collins Kagame (a really nice lad who I've spoken to and has a lot going for him with his striking ability and movement off the ball) train regularly with the first team.

Edited by BP1960

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

He was there before, which shows the youth team was producing players before Frank and co and they didn’t have to start again or wait years for the youth team to bear fruit. 

It’s not a competition and I wasn’t comparing BP to Mellon and Co, I just know he watches a lot of youth team football and has spoken highly of a couple- it would be nice if we could develop a couple. We’ll never know, if we never give them a go. 

One was Forshaw I think, and I can’t remember the other lads name. 

In your opinion- Do you think a profitable youth team is important for the club. Or do you think it’s just a nice to have? 

We produce the odd one every few years. Ideally we produce players good enough to sell. Whether they play for the first team or not, I'm not bothered. Be nice, but rather we make money from youth system

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

A lot of clubs do this. Sell them before they play shit in the men's league. How many of these young ones we've sold early have gone on to much?

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Forshaw wasn't one of mine, it was Harry Vaughan before he made a first team appearance.

I have watched and recommended Alex Robertson from Manchester City (I urged ST to sign him on loan immediately) Nick Haughton, Ryan Colclough, Conn Clarke, Regan Linney and  Adam Crowther.

The one who hasn't really has a chance to prove himself is the powerhouse Colwyn Bay right back Alex Downes, although he's now playing a league higher than last season and rated as one of the best in the Welsh Premier League.

We don't need another CD, but young Devon Matthews of Curzon Ashton is a good prospect.

Of the youths I've recommended Alfie Atherton and centre forward Collins Kagame (a really nice lad who I've spoken to and has a lot going for him with his striking ability and movement off the ball) train regularly with the first team.

I don't know why @mcfluff1985 replies to me, I don't read them I just see his blocked name.

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Brabin should know all about this lad given his role at TNS 👍

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I will recommend the following players:

Cardwell & Bridge - SOUTHEND

Haughton, Hosannah & Ustabasi - FYLDE

Conn-Clarke & Linney - ALTRINCHAM

Brown (on loan from Derby) - GATESHEAD

Keohane - ROCHDALE

Maycock - SOLIHULL

Pearce - WORTHING

Plus

Parkinson - ALTRINCHAM as manager should Mellon decide to leave…

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Keohane - ROCHDALE

Maycock - SOLIHULL

Pearce - WORTHING

Plus

You've got the job.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Brabin should know all about this lad given his role at TNS 👍

He should, but maybe doesn't rate him?

Although definitely a right wing back he's been playing centre back a lot this season. ironically, a reversal of what Will Sutton's been doing.

https://cbfc.wales/player/alex-downes/

Edited by BP1960

19 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Keohane - ROCHDALE

Maycock - SOLIHULL

Pearce - WORTHING

Plus

7 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

You've got the job.

The only one of that lot I’ve not seen play is Pearce but the stats are good… 😉

It will be interesting to see how attacking midfielder Marcel Lewis who has just signed on loan at Curzon Ashton from Burnley shapes up.

When I saw him earlier in the season he had some flair about him and I asked ST if he could be monitored.

Wouldn't surprise me if a player of his calibre helped Curzon to promotion to the NL.

https://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/player/marcel-lewis

Edited by BP1960

30 minutes ago, O.A.F.C. said:

Tbh you still have a strange fascination about him 

Not really. I didn't mention him. Someone else did. Not my fault he thinks he's above everyone and world revolves around him. Imagine Hitler got into art school. Imagine BP got a reply to an email. World could be different place

6 hours ago, League one forever said:

Aye.

It’s better than last season, but being 5th in Feb isn’t close to promotion. 

Being 5th in Feb was the fault of Unsworth, not Mellon, surely?

6 hours ago, deyres42 said:

We sadly won't be appearing in the end of season extravaganza that is the promotion playoffs.

You'll probably be proven to be correct. Nowhere near though would be mid-table or lower in my book.

1 minute ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Being 5th in Feb was the fault of Unsworth, not Mellon, surely?

If we’re going down that road, ST contributed to being 5th as well as Mellon. 

It’s all semantics though. 

To my mind being excited for a couple of weeks in Feb is nowhere near to getting promoted.

Dave- a caller on the phone inn last night, made a great point. Sides that can sustain a playoff push throughout the whole season are serious contenders. This season that’s Bromley and Barnet. They don’t have runs of 1 win in 10, and they definitely don’t have two runs like that in a season. We are pretenders at the minute, not contenders. 

5 minutes ago, League one forever said:

To my mind being excited for a couple of weeks in Feb is nowhere near to getting promoted.

Dave- a caller on the phone inn last night, made a great point. Sides that can sustain a playoff push throughout the whole season are serious contenders. This season that’s Bromley and Barnet. They don’t have runs of 1 win in 10, and they definitely don’t have two runs like that in a season. We are pretenders at the minute, not contenders. 

Chesterfield pretty much had that exact run last season which took them out of the automatic promotion race. Probably at a similar time of the season too. 

Cook also had a very average first 20 games in charge the season before when he took over a team at the top and clung onto 7th by the end. 

They kicked on this season though and didn’t have those sort of runs. That’s what we need to do next season. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

Chesterfield pretty much had that exact run last season which took them out of the automatic promotion race. Probably at a similar time of the season too. 

Cook also had a very average first 20 games in charge the season before when he took over a team at the top and clung onto 7th by the end. 

They kicked on this season though and didn’t have those sort of runs. That’s what we need to do next season. 

Yeah, I think we underestimate how good/consistent you have to be to get out of this league- especially with only two up. 

Your point above illustrates that- very good/very bad/average for parts of the season will get you in the playoffs but ultimately isn’t enough. (I know they’re exceptions on occasion) 

It’s the mentality of the grind and churning wins that sees you promoted. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Oh I agree ST made a contribution to it. But the dreadful start and playing catch-up, for me, is the biggest single contributor to missing out on the play-offs, if that is what happens.

Personally if being in the play-offs in Feb doesn't excite you, it explains our slight difference in expectation levels. I 100% agree with the rest of your post though. Bromley and Barnet are well-oiled NL machines now and their position this season demonstrates that. Solihull could be tagged in the same group for me. Canny operators.

19 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Personally if being in the play-offs in Feb doesn't excite you, it explains our slight difference in expectation levels.

Aye, probably. 

I didn’t expect to get promoted this season, but playoffs was the absolute minimum to call it a good season and tangible progress. 

Over the course of last season - we did ok. 

Over the course of this season - we’ve done ok.

Ok isn’t progress to me- but that’s only my opinion. 

Oh- and I was buzzing with being 5th, I sang eieieo every chance I could. 😁 Just want it to last a little longer than a few weeks. 

Edited by League one forever
  • Like 1