Micky Mellon Sack Watch

2 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

I've been supporting Latics for close on 50 years now and I know changing the manager every 12 months is not the answer. The 2 most successful managers in my era were Frizzel and Big Joe and both were given the time to make their mark and they did.

However what's most important is we have the right manager in place to give time...and resources too, and I'm not convinced yet this is Mellon even with his track record. 

Are his tactics outdated in the modern game? Is he prepared to take more risks? 

His previous success' were a bit turgid by all accounts, and as can be seen in recent seasons, the teams that succeed like Stockport, Wrexham, Notts County, Chesterfield all score goals by the hateful with an attractive, pacey brand of football, and with a nice mixture of experience and youth. It's questionable I think if this is something Mellon deliver.

We missed out on Williamson which was a big mistake, and opted for Mellon so he deserves the chance I guess to put things right next season, however I have a horrible feeling that it may be a similar story and we are saying the same things again next April😞

Yeah, this is where I am. 

I’m saying giving him the summer - more out of hope than belief.

Does everyone remember when I got pelters on here for complaining about our home form and the negative 7-1-2 formations Mellon sent out to try and nick   draw, I was shouted down on the basis we were fluking 1-0 wins at Dorking, everyone still happy with the shite we've been served up at BP because I certainly ain't, advice I was given at the time was to look at the bigger picture and the progress we've made, what happens now that we are going backwards?.

Four points in our last six home games is pitiful and I know we've played huge teams like Kidderminster and Fylde in that run but still, we shouldn't be making any excuses for Mellon, Gateshead for instance lost their manager and half a dozen players six month ago plus their best player and captain at Christmas Greg Olley yet they've managed to consolidate a place in the playoffs on 69 points with five still to play. That's on a fraction of our budget and one of the smallest squads, this leagues piss poor and we are paying the majority of our players and manager for that matter League 1 or 2 money.

This seasons a huge fucking failure, let the post mortem begin but don't tell me Mellon didn't have enough to get this team in the playoffs because that's just bollocks, it's all gone a bit Richie Wellens for me when he managed to get us relegated after he gave up and I'd suggest Mellons done the same because if he hasn't he's incompetent or incapable and needs removing, why give him another 10 games that some are asking for I've seen enough in 30 odd to tell me somethings not right.

Hasn’t Mellon always consolidated when first coming in and then kicked on in his second season ?

We are in a much better position this year than last going into the summer imo. We only need 5/6 creative players and this squad will be more than fine. 

21 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

That’s for the board to decide. If we could get Pete Wild I would get shut right now.

If we’d pushed the boat out for him instead of Unsworth I think we’d be in a much better place right now.

We’d have the perfect set up but that’s not happening. 

We may as well stick with Mellon for now, who else is available who we could realistically attract?

I'm not suggesting we change but I am sure there are plenty of young thrusting academy coaches that would be up for it.  Find me an Ipswich fan who'd heard of McKenna before he was appointed

7 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I'm not suggesting we change but I am sure there are plenty of young thrusting academy coaches that would be up for it.  Find me an Ipswich fan who'd heard of McKenna before he was appointed

It’s getting the right one we seem to find difficult!😆

16 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Does everyone remember when I got pelters on here for complaining about our home form and the negative 7-1-2 formations Mellon sent out to try and nick   draw, I was shouted down on the basis we were fluking 1-0 wins at Dorking, everyone still happy with the shite we've been served up at BP because I certainly ain't, advice I was given at the time was to look at the bigger picture and the progress we've made, what happens now that we are going backwards?.

Four points in our last six home games is pitiful and I know we've played huge teams like Kidderminster and Fylde in that run but still, we shouldn't be making any excuses for Mellon, Gateshead for instance lost their manager and half a dozen players six month ago plus their best player and captain at Christmas Greg Olley yet they've managed to consolidate a place in the playoffs on 69 points with five still to play. That's on a fraction of our budget and one of the smallest squads, this leagues piss poor and we are paying the majority of our players and manager for that matter League 1 or 2 money.

This seasons a huge fucking failure, let the post mortem begin but don't tell me Mellon didn't have enough to get this team in the playoffs because that's just bollocks, it's all gone a bit Richie Wellens for me when he managed to get us relegated after he gave up and I'd suggest Mellons done the same because if he hasn't he's incompetent or incapable and needs removing, why give him another 10 games that some are asking for I've seen enough in 30 odd to tell me somethings not right.

It’s easy to be wise after the event. .

At the time you posted that, we were in the playoffs and the away form was propping up the very poor home form. In numerous games we created chances and played some decent stuff at times- especially away from home. 

His PPG was good, and overall he was doing well. 

Since then our form has completely collapsed, we don’t look like scoring,  we create very little, and the football is getting worse. 

I didn’t agree with you then, for the reasons above. But things have changed, and at this time I now agree with you that he has failed this season.  

If he moulds things in the summer and we start like a house of fire, he gets more time and my backing. If this form carried on- he goes. Opinions change on results. 

Edited by League one forever

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

It’s easy to be wise after the event. .

At the time you posted that, we were in the playoffs and the away form was propping up the very poor form. In numerous games we created chances and played some decent stuff at times- especially away from home. 

His PPG was good, and overall he was doing well. 

Since then our form has completely collapsed, we don’t look like scoring,  we create very little, and the football is getting worse. 

I didn’t agree with you then, for the reasons above. But things have changed, and at this time I now agree with you that he has failed this season.  

If he moulds things in the summer and we start like a house of fire, he gets more time and my backing. If this form carried on- he goes. Opinions change on results. 

The problem is if he spends the money available in the summer and this form continues we are in even deeper shit aren’t we?

I’m glad I’m not making the decision!

2 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

The problem is if he spends the money available in the summer and this form continues we are in even deeper shit aren’t we?

Yep- totally agree. 

You’ve then got the new guy - who can say, none of these are my players. . 😩

1 minute ago, oafc1955 said:

You just can't keep on throwing money at it indefinitely to come up with the same outcome, something has to give

Frank's hands are that far down his pockets I bet he's touching his feet

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

This is why we need a DOF, someone who can oversee the football side of things. 

Whoever has been doing this previously? Assume it’s DR, needs to take a step back. 

27 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I reckon it'd be harder to find one that hadn't heard of him.

28 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Hasn’t Mellon always consolidated when first coming in and then kicked on in his second season ?

We are in a much better position this year than last going into the summer imo. We only need 5/6 creative players and this squad will be more than fine. 

I'm struggling to see how we are better off, after dismissing Unsworth early on his tenure I'd given him the benefit of the doubt this time last year given the post Christmas run, that seemed far more effective than the one we've just had to endure under Mellon. Unsworth only needed 5 or 6 if we are using that logic but he and Mellon have since double and trebled down on players who play the same positions.

What's been put in place to avoid this happening again?, what's the actual plan?, it's all guess work at the minute and on the back of that there is probably and expectation from the club that fans will buy in to the mess.

29 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I agree and was lambasted too for being negative after seeing us beaten very easily on my return by the mighty Woking/ Kidderminster etc. Certain posters on here had me questioning whether I still knew anything about football with their ultra positive view of things. I could not see anything promising on the pitch. "You need to watch us away, look at the form table " etc. etc. People are now going on about Lundstram as being a future midfield lynchpin. Hilarious. He's not a league 2 player and that's the minimum calibre we need. So, on the basis of not a lot really, because I didn't witness what Unsworth did/recruited, I`m pinning my hopes on the fact that Mellon has inherited a mediocre bunch of non-league players. I don't think he trusts them, they know it and by hook or by crook there will be a clearout and some decent recruitment in the summer.

Only then will I cast my true opinion on Mellon. Presently, it's a failure but maybe he only shoulders a relatively small part of the responsibility.

Because he’d done it before and had several promotions on his cv I think we went for a quick fix with Mellon, hoping he could get us up in one or two seasons at the most. I think next season will follow a similar pattern and we will have failed miserably.

Maybe it would have been better getting in a young and hungry coach, advocating entertaining football and with a long term plan.

As I said I think Pete Wild would be perfect!

Apart from blaming everything that happened prior to his arrival nothing Mellon has said or done since has inspired me at all.

I think if we could get the right guy in I would probably get shut of Mellon and start again!

If and when Mellon does go that is the route I would take next time.

11 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

I reckon it'd be harder to find one that hadn't heard of him.

Really?  I can't say I follow the comings and goings at United's academy very closely

3 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Because he’d done it before and had several promotions on his cv I think we went for a quick fix with Mellon, hoping he could get us up in one or two seasons at the most. I think next season will follow a similar pattern and we will have failed miserably.

Maybe it would have been better getting in a young and hungry coach, advocating entertaining football and with a long term plan.

As I said I think Pete Wild would be perfect!

Apart from blaming everything that happened prior to his arrival nothing Mellon has said or done since has inspired me at all.

I think if we could get the right guy in I would probably get shut of Mellon and start again!

If and when Mellon does go that is the route I would take next time.

Think Wild is partial to a hoof...

11 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

Certain posters on here had me questioning whether I still knew anything about football with their ultra positive view of things. I could not see anything promising on the pitch. "You need to watch us away, look at the form table " etc. etc

Re - writing history there. 

What you had, was posters offering balance to poor football at home. 

We talked about away form - because it was very good at that time. 

We talked about the form table- because at that time it was very good. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dave_Og said:

Really?  I can't say I follow the comings and goings at United's academy very closely

Think Mourinho putting such faith in him at a young age is probably a decent indicator of his ability.

8 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Re - writing history there. 

What you had, was posters offering balance to poor football at home. 

We talked about away form - because it was very good at that time. 

We talked about the form table- because at that time it was very good. 

Exactly. No one, no matter how positive they were (myself included), was crowing about things being brilliant. 

We’ve tried young unknown coaches, we’ve tried experienced managers. We’ve tried club legends, we’ve tried outsiders. 

One thing we’ve not tried for a decade is starting and finishing a season with the same manager.

Even if we start slowly I’d be surprised if we’re in relegation trouble so I’m of the view that Mellon needs to be given the full season next year. 

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

He was all over the news when United poached him from Tottenham as one of the best up and coming youth coaches.

Then Mourinho gave him the assistant managers job and he was kept on by both Solskjaer and Ragnick. There were even calls for him to succeed as their manager in some quarters he was that highly thought of.

Think we've had 35 different managers since my first game in 1997. Luckily constantly chopping and changing managers has served us well during that time 👍

Mellon is an experienced manager and deserves a summer and a new season to get it right. If after that it's still not working, then it's time for a conversation 

I can’t be arsed going through the new manager cycle again. 

I trust Mellon will get it right. How anyone can truly judge him with the limited squad we have is beyond me. 

It’s hard, tiring and infuriating at times. But a bit of patience is required for Mellon to get us back on track. 

• Like 2

For all those saying give him time-

I will await your response if it’s piss poor after ten games next season. . . 

We all want continuity - but it must come with something tangible. No manager can sustain poor results in the name of ‘give it time’