Micky Mellon Sack Watch

9 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

But again, that's the risk you take recruiting in January.

It’s a risk you take recruiting at anytime as we’ve found out previously!

4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Doesn’t that apply to any clutch of signings at anytime? 

There’s nothing to suggest that signing in the summer will mean more of them work. I’d say if you sign any group of players, a couple do really well, a couple do ok, and a couple don’t work out. 

Probably explains why people say a manager needs a few windows to properly sort a squad. 

Trick this summer will be this to replace 6 that haven’t worked out with 6 as you have described there. 2 great, 2 ok, 2 not ok. Then we’re 4 players better off. 

9 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Probably explains why people say a manager needs a few windows to properly sort a squad. 

Trick this summer will be this to replace 6 that haven’t worked out with 6 as you have described there. 2 great, 2 ok, 2 not ok. Then we’re 4 players better off. 

Think we should be looking at, and will need, a more successful percentage than that!

23 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

If results allow them that opportunity. .

He gets this summer, if things don’t approve to agreed expectations he and shouldn’t get another window. 

Of his signings I’d say. 

Stones was class. 

Garner/Hammond/Conlon have been a mixture of ok/shown glimpses. 

Walker Dallas Sav haven’t worked out. 

One belter out of seven isn’t great, and as 55 says the ratio of good to ok to bad will need to really improve. 

Edited by League one forever
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Well….we got 6 players in who’ve hardly featured and who haven’t even hit the ground never mind started running,…

Garner spends a good percentage of his time rolling around on the ground 😮

• Like 1

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

If results allow them that opportunity. .

He gets this summer, if things don’t approve to agreed expectations he and shouldn’t get another window. 

Of his signings I’d say. 

Stones was class. 

Garner/Hammond/Conlon have been a mixture of ok/shown glimpses. 

Walker Dallas Sav haven’t worked out. 

One belter out of seven isn’t great, and as 55 says the ratio of good to ok to bad will need to really improve. 

I can see those immortal words arising quite soon into the new season If he doesn't 

'Has he gone yet'?

33 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

They’ve already arose!😂

Only a few quiet murmurings on here but all hope's are now pinned on us having much more success next season.

Please God, let it happen for all our sakes 🙏

2 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Only a few quiet murmurings on here but all hope's are now pinned on us having much more success next season.

Please God, let it happen for all our sakes 🙏

🤔I just hope the fans stick with it…if & when we finally get the success we crave it’s going to be off the scale!!😂😂

3 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I don't know about that. Stones was excellent and we were unlucky he got injured. Garner got some important goals when he came in. Conlon has been disappointing but has had some good games. Dallas and Walker, fair enough. But again, that's the risk you take recruiting in January. It was poor recruitment last summer that put us in that position in the first place.

That's a great post and right on the nail but come on, there is little room for such a common sense observation on here.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

That's a great post and right on the nail but come on, there is little room for such a common sense observation on here.

Let’s see if you think the same come November!!

6 hours ago, League one forever said:

Doesn’t that apply to any clutch of signings at anytime? 

There’s nothing to suggest that signing in the summer will mean more of them work. I’d say if you sign any group of players, a couple do really well, a couple do ok, and a couple don’t work out. 

But you have more options in summer as more players are free agents or clubs are prepared to let them go, and you have time to work them into your plans. In January, you're mostly signing players that have had long term injuries (Conlon) or no game time (Walker, Dallas, Sachdev) and then have barely anytime to integrate them in, they basically have to hit the ground running. You shouldn't have to sign a "clutch" of players in January if recruitment is good in summer

• Like 2

Just watched his interview with the official site. As much as it pains me we are still in massively in with a shot even more so with the fixture build up for other teams! I prey to god he’s saying that! Not just plodding along! Someone made reference to our survival season villa, Liverpool, Southampton ! A lot harder than Oxford Wealdstone and Halifax! 

However unlikely it may be we can still make the playoffs.

If we fail to beat already relegated Oxford tomorrow serious questions need asking.

We need to win and we bloody well better had!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

You shouldn't have to sign a "clutch" of players in January if recruitment is good in summer

I totally agree with that. 

It’s really hard with Mellon because to be fair to him he is a scapegoat at times for what has been a poor football operation for the last two seasons. 

On the flip side- he knew the squad dynamic when he came in. He knew it was lopsided, and he has been given 7 chances to make some changes and it hasn’t really worked so far. He repeatedly said when he came in, that he had to respect the money that the family have already spent, and now is stating how difficult the summer will be. (I think he’s right on that score) 

I wonder whether he’s the right manager at the wrong time. If he had come in after shez, it would be very interesting to see what squad we had now. Whereas after the Unsy debacle he’s hamstrung, and ultimately that affects results . . but rightly or wrongly fans won’t look at the bigger picture if he isn’t winning. 

57 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

However unlikely it may be we can still make the playoffs.

If we fail to beat already relegated Oxford tomorrow serious questions need asking.

We need to win and we bloody well better had!

Taking my mate tomorrow who’s gone 26 games without an away win. 

I wouldn’t get your hopes up. 

9 hours ago, nzlatic said:

With our budget in this league, it should not take a few windows to get us competing in the top 3rd of the conference. 

24 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Barnet will roll over and let Halifax win tomorrow, they are nailed on top three and will fancy anyone other than us at their place and Halifax winning tomorrow near on finishes us off. 

I am fairly sure Barnet won’t have given us a second thought 

1 minute ago, AndyB2 said:

I am fairly sure Barnet won’t have given us a second thought 

I know they are 19 points ahead so probably not much but they will roll over tomorrow guaranteed, happy if they don't but Halifax will piss that game tomorrow. 

One of the biggest disappointments for me is that we haven’t had any good loanees. The loan market has served us well over the last twenty years and without it, we’d have been in the NL a lot sooner.

I am not particularly comfortable with having a team full of players on 2-3 year contracts at our level. It’s extremely high risk. 

to give corney credit, he was a shrewd operator. Appears we don’t have this trait within the club anymore.