First of all, hope everyone is well, haven’t been on here for a while, normally use twitter for latics stuff. 

Anyway, genuine question in line with the release of the Chesterfield tickets, as their fans seem to have fabricated a rivalry with us. Who are actually our rivals?

I could probably name every other clubs arch rivals in the country except my own. Literally watched us for 30 years and genuinely don’t know what the answer is. For me, it’d be either Tranmere or Scunthorpe. 
What’s the general consensus? 

6 hours ago, Clubfootkilkenny said:

First of all, hope everyone is well, haven’t been on here for a while, normally use twitter for latics stuff. 

Anyway, genuine question in line with the release of the Chesterfield tickets, as their fans seem to have fabricated a rivalry with us. Who are actually our rivals?

I could probably name every other clubs arch rivals in the country except my own. Literally watched us for 30 years and genuinely don’t know what the answer is. For me, it’d be either Tranmere or Scunthorpe. 
What’s the general consensus? 

It’s complicated. We haven’t been a threat for so long that frankly am not sure anyone is arsed about us enough to develop a rivalry. Our decline also means natural rivalries from the recent past have fallen away (Huddersfield for eg). 

Rivalries have their origins in competing at the top of the table. Therein lies your problem. 

also I think many fans (me included) have a chip on their shoulder about the past and can’t bring themselves to call the likes of Rochdale rivals 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JoeP said:

United

City

Wigan 

Sheffield United

No strong feelings either way towards Rochdale or Tranmere..

If it’s one way then it’s not really a rivalry 

10 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Discounts Rochdale, then. They don't seem arsed...

They aren’t a proper club so can’t  really develop a rivalry. I will never accept that they are anything near being our equals. 

Edited by AndyB2
  • Like 1

The problem with the rivalry with Rochdale is that from about 1971 to until about 2010 we weren't playing them on a regular basis so for 2 generations that rivalry has been dormant and in that time Rochdale and Bury created their own rivalry. Although it's fair to say the rivalry between us and Dale has cranked up abit In the last decade orcso I don't find Rochdale to be particularly obnoxious I can't really get angry at Rochdale they are just too inoffensive.

Which leads us onto United and City who it is very easy to hate particularly the former. I think alot of our dislike from depends from School we have a tough time in the sense of being in the school playground or turning g upto football practice you are seem as abit of an outsider and get looked down your nose at by the supporters of the big city teams. "You support Oldham pfft you never win anything" No shit sherlock! There was me thinking we were going to win the champions league. But ultimately its a dislike from them being ignorant Man United's rivals are Liverpool City and then Leeds. City themselves will obviously see United as their rivals and in recent years Liverpool due to both challenging for the title. You won't ever hear an anti Oldham song at a United or City game.

We've had brief rivalries in the past with Wigan in the early 2000's and Huddersfield in the mid and late 2000's. But those seem to have disappeared Wigan would consider Bolton as their biggest rivals these days and Huddersfield would have a much stronger dislike of the likes of Leeds Bradford or even Sheffield Wednesday before any rivalry with us. 

So that leaves us with Tranmere Rovers a team that we've had a good 30 year history with Prenton Park was a notorious bogey ground in the 90's it edged up further when Ronnie Moore was in charge of them. A club who we probably have quite abit in common with. They shun the bigger more fashionable clubs of the nearby city to support their local club and a club that like us have had some notable giant killings in various cup competitions. But while I respect them for that they do seem dislikeable enough to call a rival.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Bobby and Bert said:

We had strong rivals in Bolton, Blackburn,Leeds and City when we were in Div2. But previous to that and later it has been Bury,Rochdale,Wigan and Blackpool.

We could certainly have rivalries with the likes of Bolton Blackburn Wigan and Blackpool again even throw Burnley and Preston but we'd have to be in the same division as them for a sustained period of time for that to happen.

Edited by GlossopLatic

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

The problem with the rivalry with Rochdale is that from about 1971 to until about 2010 we weren't playing them on a regular basis so for 2 generations that rivalry has been dormant and in that time Rochdale and Bury created their own rivalry. Although it's fair to say the rivalry between us and Dale has cranked up abit In the last decade orcso I don't find Rochdale to be particularly obnoxious I can't really get angry at Rochdale they are just too inoffensive.

Which leads us onto United and City who it is very easy to hate particularly the former. I think alot of our dislike from depends from School we have a tough time in the sense of being in the school playground or turning g upto football practice you are seem as abit of an outsider and get looked down your nose at by the supporters of the big city teams. "You support Oldham pfft you never win anything" No shit sherlock! There was me thinking we were going to win the champions league. But ultimately its a dislike from them being ignorant Man United's rivals are Liverpool City and then Leeds. City themselves will obviously see United as their rivals and in recent years Liverpool due to both challenging for the title. You won't ever hear an anti Oldham song at a United or City game.

We've had brief rivalries in the past with Wigan in the early 2000's and Huddersfield in the mid and late 2000's. But those seem to have disappeared Wigan would consider Bolton as their biggest rivals these days and Huddersfield would have a much stronger dislike of the likes of Leeds Bradford or even Sheffield Wednesday before any rivalry with us. 

So that leaves us with Tranmere Rovers a team that we've had a good 30 year history with Prenton Park was a notorious bogey ground in the 90's it edged up further when Ronnie Moore was in charge of them. A club who we probably have quite abit in common with. They shun the bigger more fashionable clubs of the nearby city to support their local club and a club that like us have had some notable giant killings in various cup competitions. But while I respect them for that they do seem dislikeable enough to call a rival.

One of life's great questions. What do want to happen when United play Bolton?

18 minutes ago, Dickie Down said:

One of life's great questions. What do want to happen when United play Bolton?

Bolton to win!

Truth be told I had them as second team for a while as a close of friend of mine had a spare season ticket for about 3 seasons sonId go regularly when Latics weren't at home. Not being in the same division as us meant I didn't develop the same dislike of them. Although I believe those of you who watched us in the 70's certainly did have a strong disliking of them.

Edited by GlossopLatic

9 minutes ago, Lags said:

Blackburn and Bolton for me.  Goes back to my early days following Latics.

👍Yes agree Lags. Blackburn was our main rival for many seasons in the old 2nd division. Used to be a big home Boxing day fixture with 15-20k there.

Clue is in the no, neh, never chant, BASTARD ROVERS!! 

Probably the most trouble however was when we played Bolton. They used to bring a fair mob and ran us a few times in the Chaddy!!

30 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Bolton to win!

Truth be told I had them as second team for a while as a close of friend of mine had a spare season ticket for about 3 seasons sonId go regularly when Latics weren't at home. Not being in the same division as us meant I didn't develop the same dislike of them. Although I believe those of you who watched us in the 70's certainly did have a strong disliking of them.

Plague of locusts for me. Abandoned after 10 minutes.

1 hour ago, Londonboy said:

👍Yes agree Lags. Blackburn was our main rival for many seasons in the old 2nd division. Used to be a big home Boxing day fixture with 15-20k there.

Clue is in the no, neh, never chant, BASTARD ROVERS!! 

Probably the most trouble however was when we played Bolton. They used to bring a fair mob and ran us a few times in the Chaddy!!

Defo, it was always not for the faint hearted at Burnden Park.

• Like 1

Can't bring myself to get riled up about Dale at all, actually want them to do well tbh. The Chesterfield thing is weird, absolutely nobody cares about Chesterfield. 

During my time supporting Latics Huddersfield was probably the closest to a proper rivalry I've seen, for a few years in the 2000s anyway. Maybe Tranmere, but again I struggle to care that much about them. 

• Like 1

I can't stand Bolton Wanderers.

Might have something to do with watching what still seems likes hours of Allardyce and Jones passing the ball between themselves and the goalie, in the seventies and eighties, to waste time. (Thank goodness they changed the rules.)

Also made worse by that club running up debts of over 100 million quid, whilst building a smashing ground, then appearing to get most of that written off.

Perhaps I am just jealous, really.

3 hours ago, JohnH said:

I can't stand Bolton Wanderers.

Might have something to do with watching what still seems likes hours of Allardyce and Jones passing the ball between themselves and the goalie, in the seventies and eighties, to waste time. (Thank goodness they changed the rules.)

Also made worse by that club running up debts of over 100 million quid, whilst building a smashing ground, then appearing to get most of that written off.

Perhaps I am just jealous, really.

Yes Bolton tried for years to get into 1st division but despite bigger crowds than  us we beat them to promotion thanks to Joe.

After that more recently they created massive debts and thought they could buy their way up.

They always brought a big following to BP and I was almost beaten up once walking up sheepfoot Lane, in the days of cronbie boys.

Stoke had some viscious hooligans as well.Glad things have changed.Do the Glodwick boot boys still exist??Happy days.

3 hours ago, diggleblue said:

Yes Bolton tried for years to get into 1st division but despite bigger crowds than  us we beat them to promotion thanks to Joe.

After that more recently they created massive debts and thought they could buy their way up.

They always brought a big following to BP and I was almost beaten up once walking up sheepfoot Lane, in the days of cronbie boys.

Stoke had some viscious hooligans as well.Glad things have changed.Do the Glodwick boot boys still exist??Happy days.

Ah, fights along Sheepfoot Lane.

Those were the days. Sigh

We just don't have any, or at least any we can unify ourselves by hating. 

It's probably a good thing in that losing to hated rivals hits harder. We don't have any defeats laced with that extra bitterness. It's bad enough being an Oldham fan without being punched down on by bitter rivals as well.

Closest I felt to a genuine rivalry emerging was those years of playing Wigan between 1997 and 2003. Some of those matches were seething and the tear ups around them were legendary. I think you need to be in the same division with someone geographical close to build one. Even though we were in L1 for two decades, teams like Bolton, Wigan, Blackburn and Preston just dipped in and out. Tranmere was never likely to be a proper rivalry, they're too far away. Wrexham felt a bit more tetchy. I used to hate Citeh back in the 80's and 90's but that faded when we stopped playing them. Burnley have always grated with me because I spent some of my formative years there. 

As for Dale, we'd need another twenty years of playing regularly in the same division. Takes a generation to go by for it to 'stick'.

• Like 1