MATCH: Rochdale (H) 06/04/24

Just now, Bobledgersheart said:

Which begs the question, why hasn't Atherton figured when available ?

4 match ban.

He's a target for ruthless defenders, but hope he will learn from that.

3 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Penalties aren’t open goals. Sheron wouldn’t have scored them all. 

The question was theoretical, how many if he'd scored them all abd Norwoods tally without them?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

The question was theoretical, how many if he'd scored them all abd Norwoods tally without them?

Looks like he’s scored 5. So Norwood would be on 12 and Sheron on 11.  

If Hudson had taken them then he’d be our joint 4th top scorer. 

🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Remember the time in league 2 when we had 3 different penalty takers in as many games and they all missed ?

Taking penalties is a skill and requires a sound mindset or luck. Norwood never looks like missing. 

• Like 2

Sheron frustrates the life out of me, most of the time his first touch is a tackle or a chase after the ball, not as bad a touch as Dallas though, good lord his is shocking.

As posters have said, someone who can play football beside Sheron would make his job easier, let him run, tackle and play simple passes left and right, something similar to that of Fane and Byrne (that was an extreme!). Simplify his role, at the minute he is a typical midfielder which makes him look poor at times, the aimless ball to no one etc (granted he's not alone with this trait). 

Wenger at Monaco had his midfielders who's job was to run, win ball back and pass it to Hoddle!  Robbie Savage made a career out of running around and tackling etc!  I understand none of this is relevant to Sheron but the general philosophy would be the same, play to his strengths, definitely becomes an asset, with the odd goal as well.

On another note, our general distribution from the back is terrible, Hudson needs a lot of work in this field and also could do with learning when to speed himself up and slow down, currently one slow pondering keeper.  Teams obviously let are CB's have the ball for a reason!

• Like 1

Was looking at Chesterfield centre mids…

Naylor 12 goals

Dobra 10 (is he centre or wide?)

Banks 8

Jacobs 5

Oldaker 1

36 goals from central mid, or 26 if I’ve got Dobra wrong. 

For us…

Sheron 6

Dickenson 5

Gardner 2

Shelton 1

14 goals. 6 of those from players pretty much not played in 2024. 

Looks even worse if we start comparing forwards/wide players. 

20 minutes ago, deckyd said:

Sheron frustrates the life out of me, most of the time his first touch is a tackle or a chase after the ball, not as bad a touch as Dallas though, good lord his is shocking.

As posters have said, someone who can play football beside Sheron would make his job easier, let him run, tackle and play simple passes left and right, something similar to that of Fane and Byrne (that was an extreme!). Simplify his role, at the minute he is a typical midfielder which makes him look poor at times, the aimless ball to no one etc (granted he's not alone with this trait). 

Wenger at Monaco had his midfielders who's job was to run, win ball back and pass it to Hoddle!  Robbie Savage made a career out of running around and tackling etc!  I understand none of this is relevant to Sheron but the general philosophy would be the same, play to his strengths, definitely becomes an asset, with the odd goal as well.

On another note, our general distribution from the back is terrible, Hudson needs a lot of work in this field and also could do with learning when to speed himself up and slow down, currently one slow pondering keeper.  Teams obviously let are CB's have the ball for a reason!

Stopped reading that when you grouped Fane & Byrne together!!😳

1 minute ago, oafc1955 said:

Said it before, I'll say it again. Loads of teams have a combo in midfield where ones job is to win the ball and do all the running and the others to be creative. That was the Fane and Byrne combo. Works throughout the pyramid if you get the right chemistry in there

13 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Understandable!  It was an extreme example! Do believe Sheron is a Fane type player- not too that of an extent though.

2 minutes ago, deckyd said:

Understandable!  It was an extreme example! Do believe Sheron is a Fane type player- not too that of an extent though.

Harsh on Sheron, that.  No one deserves that level of abuse.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Fane was much better at breaking up the play and passing to a colleague but not very good at the business end of the pitch!!😂

He was good at getting yellow cards and did a job against Blackburn, where his only job was to pass the ball 2 yards to Byrne.

I don't get why he seems to be a constant point of reference.  Is it because he's got a funny sounding name?  Or his distinctive gangly running style?  He was rubbish and we never need a player like him again!

20 minutes ago, JoeP said:

He was good at getting yellow cards and did a job against Blackburn, where his only job was to pass the ball 2 yards to Byrne.

I don't get why he seems to be a constant point of reference.  Is it because he's got a funny sounding name?  Or his distinctive gangly running style?  He was rubbish and we never need a player like him again!

Okay!  Take Fane out and insert Darren Sheridan!  Both done the same job, obviously mini Shez done it a lot better than Fane!   The premise remains the same surely!

Edited by deckyd
  • Like 1

Norwood's done alright, but for his pedigree and salary I expected more. For example - he had a chance yesterday where you'd expect someone like him to finish it by lobbing the keeper. But his just shot tamely at him. 

I accept as a team we don't produce lots of great chances for him a game. But isn't the point of having someone like him on a such a salary that he does things nobody else can? 

As an aside - their number 19 centre-half yesterday was astonishingly bad. 

23 minutes ago, josh_latics said:

Norwood's done alright, but for his pedigree and salary I expected more. For example - he had a chance yesterday where you'd expect someone like him to finish it by lobbing the keeper. But his just shot tamely at him. 

I accept as a team we don't produce lots of great chances for him a game. But isn't the point of having someone like him on a such a salary that he does things nobody else can? 

As an aside - their number 19 centre-half yesterday was astonishingly bad. 

He’s underwhelmed. But he’s been served a shit sandwich 

2 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Said it before, I'll say it again. Loads of teams have a combo in midfield where ones job is to win the ball and do all the running and the others to be creative. That was the Fane and Byrne combo. Works throughout the pyramid if you get the right chemistry in there

Fuck me, are we really putting a combination of Fane and Byrne out there as the benchmark. We got relegated with that combination. 

We are so starved of any quality that we don’t have any reference points any more. In fact, I don’t think we know what good and effective looks like.

16 hours ago, AndyB2 said:

You need your Mike Milligan to be of a certain standard to get anywhere. 

I think Milligan looked better than he was because of the players around him. In fact I  was disappointed when he was brought back.

All Milligan had to do was make a tackle and knock it 5 yards to either side of the pitch- 2 fast tricky wingers and two running fullbacks made him look like a match winner.

When Sheron wins a tackle where is his Holden, Adams or Barlow?

• Like 1

Just now, Longlostfan said:

I think Milligan looked better than he was because of the players around him. In fact I  was disappointed when he was brought back.

All Milligan had to do was make a tackle and knock it 5 yards to either side of the pitch- 2 fast tricky wingers and two running fullbacks made him look like a match winner.

So Sheron looks bad because of conlon and lundstrum rather than the other way around ? 

What is Lundstrum?.  Is he a box to box grafter, a playmaker or a sit in the hole protector of the back four.

For me he's none of the above and not what I expected given the reviews he had when we signed him. He disappointed early days and subsequently latterly been left out or benched. Granted yesterday was one of his better games and many posters have singled him out on this thread as being one of our stand out's yesterday, but I watched him closely yesterday to try answer my opening question.

I found that he ambles back when possession is lost and could be one of the reason our midfield is carved open with ease cause he's missing when he does this. He appears quite a slow runner.  He rarely makes defence splitting passes nor is a scorer of goals. He can on occasion make runs with the ball but these are fleeting occurrences. I've there for come to the conclusion he's a lesser player than Sheron who at least put's a shift in to mitigate his ability shortcomings. 

Anyone else come to the same conclusion or see's him differently?

8 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

So Sheron looks bad because of conlon and lundstrum rather than the other way around ? 

I'm not sure it as binary as that Andy.

Others have made the point that he can tackle but then doesn't do much with it.  More players showing for the ball would give him easier/ better options. If his pass completion rate was better would we think him such a liability?

13 minutes ago, Longlostfan said:

Milligan had lost 2 yards of pace on his return due to the injury picked up just prior. That said he was still a dog of war who put his body on the line every game. Henry for me was the better player  but the two complimented each other and were a formidable pair in the middle of the park.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

Fuck me, are we really putting a combination of Fane and Byrne out there as the benchmark. We got relegated with that combination. 

We are so starved of any quality that we don’t have any reference points any more. In fact, I don’t think we know what good and effective looks like.

Obviously referring to the poster above who mentioned them. Struggling with reading?

51 minutes ago, Lags said:

What is Lundstrum?.  Is he a box to box grafter, a playmaker or a sit in the hole protector of the back four.

For me he's none of the above and not what I expected given the reviews he had when we signed him. He disappointed early days and subsequently latterly been left out or benched. Granted yesterday was one of his better games and many posters have singled him out on this thread as being one of our stand out's yesterday, but I watched him closely yesterday to try answer my opening question.

I found that he ambles back when possession is lost and could be one of the reason our midfield is carved open with ease cause he's missing when he does this. He appears quite a slow runner.  He rarely makes defence splitting passes nor is a scorer of goals. He can on occasion make runs with the ball but these are fleeting occurrences. I've there for come to the conclusion he's a lesser player than Sheron who at least put's a shift in to mitigate his ability shortcomings. 

Anyone else come to the same conclusion or see's him differently?

5 assists this season makes him our joint best contributor alongside Green