MATCH: Rochdale (H) 06/04/24

Royle's the 'CEO' isn't he? Could that be part of the problem? Until a few years ago, this was a Wall Street term that applied to American corporations. In the UK, even the largest companies just had a humble 'Managing Director', and professional football clubs didn't even have (or presumably need) one of those.

What's all this 'recruitment' business anyway? Why can't the manager be in charge of signing players, subject to the board's approval and the money being available?

Presumably I'm stuck in a past era, as usual, but that's how I feel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Summerdeep said:

Royle's the 'CEO' isn't he? Could that be part of the problem? Until a few years ago, this was a Wall Street term that applied to American corporations. In the UK, even the largest companies just had a humble 'Managing Director', and professional football clubs didn't even have (or presumably need) one of those.

What's all this 'recruitment' business anyway? Why can't the manager be in charge of signing players, subject to the board's approval and the money being available?

Who makes the decision on signings now?

I'm assuming that more people than just the manager are involved, that's the way it often sounds, and Royle is frequently slated on here for the poor recruitment record.

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

He needs the summer to put his own stamp on the team...

Like many others were for ages with Unsworth, I think we should stick with him, but wouldn't be arsed if he left...

An absolutely frightening prospect 

44 minutes ago, Summerdeep said:

MD/CEO.. What does a title matter?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

MD/CEO.. What does a title matter?

Why does a football club need a 'CEO'? Because other clubs have one? Sounds like a bit of a gravy train to me.

20 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Aldershot losing. Its still on...

We don't deserve it and would only show ourselves up

We've had enough shite for another season

On to the next and the next after that

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

We don't deserve it and would only show ourselves up

We've had enough shite for another season

On to the next and the next after that

Chance has gone now but we win the next three anyway.
Kiddie will beat Halifax this evening.

Just now, BradKnowles1 said:

I just want to be out out of our misery or just win games. 

This. If Kiddie win now my hope will be restored for the next few days 😫

1 minute ago, BradKnowles1 said:

I just want to be out out of our misery or just win games. 

We're the complete opposite 

Miserable as sin and not winning anything 

There's us thinking it would be a million miles better but what do we know?

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

An absolutely frightening prospect 

Totally different to Unsworth. Mellon is tried and tested , we’ve got to give him the pre season to see what he can do. 

1 minute ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Played decent again today lundstram. I think there’s deffo a player in him. Will come good next season imo. 

MOM for me today , not a high bar I know 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndyB2 said:

Takes mellons historic track record away from it and he would be getting the same treatment as unsworth from fans. I think we look as bad as we did under unsworth. I see zero difference 

agree but u hit nail on head as he’s shown he can sort it where unsworth had nothing behind him. 

I’ve been disappointed he’s not worked out that the lack of balance and width has been an issue and the lack of forward ideas as a result cause naff footy. Thought he would have addressed it tactically but he hasn’t and I’m disappointed as I thought he’d be tactically on it and now m not sure. His records elsewhere is good so let’s give him time to sort it