BPAS PODCAST: 8th Apr '24, S4E33: Derby Day Draw

Beating Rochdale would have lifted our spirits and given our promotion hopes one last big push. But we drew and it's now all but over...

Find all our links ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠here⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠!

You can support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 via this link ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/oafcpodcast/subscribe⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠.

If you'd like to make a one off donation, you can now also Buy Us A Coffee by clicking ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠here

⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠

You can also support us by visiting ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Please subscribe to our ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠YouTube channel⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠ to watch the Latics Football Phone In live every Wednesday from 8.30pm.

BPAS and Latics Football Phone In are ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠KUPOD⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠ productions.

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

54 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Great podcast as always 👍

note for Andy Hallwell:

Nadir meaning:

the lowest or most unsuccessful point in a situation.

😉

I realised that after I’d said it (I’ve done it before) but couldn’t be arsed going back and correcting myself. Thanks.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

I realised that after I’d said it (I’ve done it before) but couldn’t be arsed going back and correcting myself. Thanks.

You said it with conviction - which as anyone knows- is all that matters. The actual meaning is irrelevant. 😁

• Like 2

It would be really dissapointing if we had to mothball the academy given the circumstances. I would understand why they would do it from a business point of view but from a footballing perspective abd what football clubs should be about it would be quite a sad day if we had to do that.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

It would be really dissapointing if we had to mothball the academy given the circumstances. I would understand why they would do it a business point of view but from a footballing perspective abd what football clubs should be about it would be quite a sad day if we had to do that.

It’s pretty pointless running an academy and sort of defeats the objective if teams can take our top prospects without any need for compensation.

The role of the academy is to identify young talent that we can nurture and hopefully, in time, promote to the 1st team squad or sell on for profit.

The fact that EFL clubs can now  come in and hoover up all the best talent for free is quite frankly ludicrous  and needs sorting as a priority!!!

• Like 3

It's funny how quickly things can change. Barely a month ago I thought you were nailed on for top seven, even if I didn't really expect you to go on and win the whole thing.  But this is a pretty invidious position you find yourself in now. 

On the plus side, I don't see the Division being stronger next season and it is certainly hard to see there being an outstanding side. On the down side, most of the current top half will fancy having a real crack at it. Andy's statistic about five years being a benchmark for success in getting out feels intuitively right to me.

The academy dilemma is a tough one. I appreciate the financial realities of fifth tier football mitigate in favour of short term thinking. But if you feel you need options in changing what is a difficult paradigm I would want to continue to develop, and try to retain talent of your own.

14 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

It would be really dissapointing if we had to mothball the academy given the circumstances. I would understand why they would do it from a business point of view but from a footballing perspective abd what football clubs should be about it would be quite a sad day if we had to do that.

One of my mates lads who plays for the younger sides have been told the academy is to be scrapped. 

wirh the amount of money In the game surely there is funding for every full time club to have an academy. 

Where do you suggest funding comes from? 

Academies have to be self funding. A good few years ago I remember it being £400,000 to fund the academy for a year. It will be considerably more now. The youngsters can be poached by other clubs. 

So the whole philosophy of the club has to be that young players will be integrated and trusted to play in the first team early on, or else the good ones will sign somewhere else.  We as a club don’t tend to be able to bring many through. Hence there are no transfer fees adding up to the running costs, let alone profits. 

It’s a business decision.

Without an academy a B team/development team becomes an absolute must. 

Players not involved in the matchday squad and young prospects picked up from academies at bigger clubs (think Hammond types) getting regular game time

30 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

Without an academy a B team/development team becomes an absolute must. 

Players not involved in the matchday squad and young prospects picked up from academies at bigger clubs (think Hammond types) getting regular game time

Without an academy I doubt we'd be able to raise enough players for a B team

9 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Without an academy I doubt we'd be able to raise enough players for a B team

We seem to have started a new scheme with open trials for teens who have not been picked up by other academies, or have been let go. Not ideal, but a few of those plus the eight or so seniors not in the matchday squad ought to be enough. Think Barrow do something similar. 

59 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

In terms of academy, I think we'd keep the Under 18's. It's likely to be the younger age group (U9-U16) that go surely...

Yeah, good shout. 

Is there a way of protecting 16 - 18 years olds? The modern day equivalent of YTS? 

If not,  I’d give them all a small contract for a year. £150 a week or something. If they’re under contract we can protect the investment. 

• Like 1

Just now, League one forever said:

Yeah, good shout. 

Is there a way of protecting 16 - 18 years olds? The modern day equivalent of YTS? 

If not,  I’d give them all a small contract for a year. £150 a week or something. If they’re under contract we can protect the investment. 

If memory serves I think they can sign professional terms at 16. . . 

21 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I reckon I've heard that meeting Joe Royle at that awards dinner anecdote about three times Andy @BPAS 😂

My wife says I've only got 6 stories, so let me know when you've heard them all and it'll be time for me to step down.

• Like 3

• Matt featured this topic
  • Matt unfeatured this topic