Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Not attending the fans forum. Fans have built up anger. It all stems from the Alex Reid video. This is the moment the fans started turning on the players.

we have not won a game since February. Since the season finished we have had the Mellon interview which did not inspire confidence. I’m still expecting him to walk at any moment. 

The news coming out of the club, academy closing, Murray leaving and not looking to recruit is all more doom and gloom.

I'm hoping the club have some positive news to give us at the forum. Maybe a signing just to inspire us. 

Can't see the forum being full of angry people, I'm not going for a start. 

On a more serious note although you have a point about the Reid incident if some fans have used that as an excuse to 'turn' on the team then we'll never have any success. Reid was dealt with and so was McGahey by having his responsibilities removed so I'm not sure what else the club could have done given the circumstances, Reid may well have remained as a bad smell but I'm sure he'll be well gone come pre season.

I'd also say that I think Mellon is here for the duration, if that run at the back end hasn't broken him then I'm not sure what will, he's stubborn anyway and probably has a bit more about him than to give in, if nothing else he's a fighter and I think he will be even more determined than ever to turn it around, at least he's proven he has it in him. He will be backed and although I don't think the football will resemble watching Breeze Hill I think we will be far more effective.

As for Murray going that is just a business decision, he's effectively being made redundant anyway given the Acadamies new status and Mellon obviously wants his own man in to complement the management team, as would any manager by the way and if the rumours are true with regards to Mike Jackson then I'm more than happy with that having met him several times over the years. Murray doesn't fit in to Mellons plans like several of the players and I think it's as simple as that.

I'm sure the positivity will grow through the summer and I'm hopeful we can be right up there as the squad starts to take shape.

It would be a shame if you didn't attend Brad as you are one of the more prominent and vocal fans and actually do have some influence, we've got to go in to next season with the mindset that the slates clean otherwise what's the point?, I'm sure Darren, Luke, Micky etc.... will do their part in galvanising and trying to get a positive message over and I think it's just as important for us supporters to do our part whether that be your booze bus gang who go everywhere or the floating fan who picks and chooses, if we don't stick together we are fucked before we start.

Edited by yarddog73
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Can't see the forum being full of angry people, I'm not going for a start. 

On a more serious not although you have a point about the Reid incident if some fans have used that as an excuse to 'turn' on the team then we'll never have any success. Reid was dealt with so as was McGahey by having his responsibilities removed so I'm not sure what else the club could have done given the circumstances, Reid may well have remained as a bad smell but I'm sure he'll be well gone come pre season.

I'd also say that I think Mellon is here for the duration, if that run at the back end hasn't broken him then I'm not sure what will, he's stubborn anyway and probably has a bit more about him than to give in, if nothing else he's a fighter and I think he will be even more determined than ever to turn it around, at least he's proven he has it in him. He will be backed and although I don't think the football will resemble watching Breeze Hill I think we will be far more effective.

As for Murray going that is just a business decision, he's effectively being made redundant anyway given the Acadamies new status and Mellon obviously wants his own man in to complement the management team, as would any manager by the way and if the rumours are true with regards to Mike Jackson then I'm more than happy with that having met him several times over the years. Murray doesn't fit in to Mellons plans like several of the players and I think it's as simple as that.

I'm sure the positivity will grow through the summer and I'm hopeful we can be right up there as the squad starts to take shape.

It would be a shame if you didn't attend Brad as you are one of the more prominent and vocal fans and actually do have some influence, we've got to go in to next season with the mindset that the slates clean otherwise what's the point?, I'm sure Darren, Luke, Micky etc.... will do their part in galvanising and trying to get a positive message over and I think it's just as important for us supporters to do our part whether that be your booze bus gang who go everywhere or the floating fan who picks and chooses, if we don't stick together we are fucked before we start.

They've said they're not replacing Murray, haven't they...?

8 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

They've said they're not replacing Murray, haven't they...?

If they have I've missed that, I can't see us going in to next season without a first team coach unless a decision has been made to redirect the finance elsewhere and Mellon and Brabin feel they are equipped to take the group forward. I'm sure the question about structure will be asked at the forum.

6 minutes ago, Dickie Down said:

The Altrincham director of football is leaving and a chap on Facebook said he was Oldham bound.

Very much a data man.

Doubtful. He says he has increasing work commitments, involving more overseas trips, and wants to spend his limited spare time with his young family.

His record at Alty does suggest, though, that data can have a big role in recruitment if harnessed correctly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boyyou said:

Doubtful. He says he has increasing work commitments, involving more overseas trips, and wants to spend his limited spare time with his young family.

His record at Alty does suggest, though, that data can have a big role in recruitment if harnessed correctly. 

Scouting French Lads?

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

If they have I've missed that, I can't see us going in to next season without a first team coach unless a decision has been made to redirect the finance elsewhere and Mellon and Brabin feel they are equipped to take the group forward. I'm sure the question about structure will be asked at the forum.

It was in Oldham Times...

2 hours ago, Boyyou said:

Scouting was priority at Alty, I knew one.

4 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

In-person scouting used after the data identified possible targets

We’ve had exactly that with stats bomb, and Mellon doesn’t like it, because he knows what good looks like. . and he doesn’t want to choose from a computer generated list of targets. I’ll be staggered if another incarnation of data contributing recruitment is wanted or sanctioned 

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

We’ve had exactly that with stats bomb, and Mellon doesn’t like it, because he knows what good looks like. . and he doesn’t want to choose from a computer generated list of targets. I’ll be staggered if another incarnation of data contributing recruitment is wanted or sanctioned 

Not saying I like it, just that many clubs, including some at our level, use this method.

1 minute ago, Boyyou said:

Not saying I like it, just that many clubs, including some at our level, use this method.

I’m ambivalent towards it as a method of recruitment, just because it hasn’t worked for us doesn’t mean it can’t work full stop. Ultimately it’s just about signing good players- however you do it. My reply was just an observation that it won’t be the way Micky wants to go. 

52 minutes ago, League one forever said:

It would be a bit counterproductive if “knowing what good looks like” means getting rid of stats so reducing the number of players on a list of possible targets that then gets scouted in more traditional way wouldn’t it? 

I would have thought it was more likely to be a swipe at Unsworth and Thompson. Or maybe a plea for time and backing. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Boyyou said:

In-person scouting used after the data identified possible targets

How will stats bombs discover a young prospect at lower level, he will hardly  have any?

Scouting isn't always about targets, I've often been sent watch players and found  better in the same  team and the opposition.

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

It would be a bit counterproductive if “knowing what good looks like” means getting rid of stats so reducing the number of players on a list of possible targets that then gets scouted in more traditional way wouldn’t it?

As well as - I know what what good looks likes. 

We’ve also had- I look with my eyes. 

I don’t think Mellon wants to choose from a pre selected computer/data list.

For example - when looking for a right back, I don’t think he trusts being given a list 5 right backs when he might not know or rate four of them and he’s only left with one choice. I think he wants (and he will get) full autonomy and it will go back to old school.  Basically him ringing the 2 or 3 right backs he really likes and finding the best deal for the club. 

10 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

How will stats bombs discover a young prospect at lower level, he will hardly  have any?

Scouting isn't always about targets, I've often been sent watch players and found  better in the same  team and the opposition.

And I am sure the same applies to our scouts. Indeed all scouts.

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

As well as - I know what what good looks likes. 

We’ve also had- I look with my eyes. 

I don’t think Mellon wants to choose from a pre selected computer/data list.

For example - when looking for a right back, I don’t think he trusts being given a list 5 right backs when he might not know or rate four of them and he’s only left with one choice. I think he wants (and he will get) full autonomy and it will go back to old school.  Basically him ringing the 2 or 3 right backs he really likes and finding the best deal for the club. 

The list isn’t exclusively made up of statsbomb generated players is it? My understanding is that any target list would be compiled by a combination of more traditional sources and additional players statsbomb throws up. The theory being that using it increases the number of players that might get looked at, rather than totally replacing traditional methods. 

It would probably be useful for the recruitment process to be clarified at the fans forum. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Isn’t it used in addition to, rather than instead of, traditional scouting methods?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

The list isn’t exclusively made up of statsbomb generated players is it? My understanding is that any target list would be compiled by a combination of more traditional sources and additional players statsbomb throws up. The theory being that using it increases the number of players that might get looked at, rather than totally replacing traditional methods. 

It would probably be useful for the recruitment process to be clarified at the fans forum. 

Yes, I think you’re right. I think they’ve had a bit of hybrid- used for some players, while others were bought off the shelf so to speak.  I know Hobson wasn’t bought using stats bomb- because I remember Unsy saying ST knew him and had been watching him. They didn’t think they could get him and went for him as soon as they found out he wanted a move back to Manchester. Norwood won’t have been bought by statsbomb for obvious reasons.

Even so, I don’t think Mellon wants it at all in any form. Like you say though-  be good to get that clarified as the plan or not moving forward. 

If we only sign players that Mellon has seen personally then we'll be signing a raft of largely older players. Because when is he going to get out and see prospects for himself? We play pretty much twice a week most of the season.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Isn’t it used in addition to, rather than instead of, traditional scouting methods?

The improvement it's made to our recruitment is negligible at best.  If you have to work that hard to get it to work for you, I doubt it's worth the time and effort.

I see there's talk of VAR being scrapped.  Maybe some of these new-fangled technologies aren't as good as we're told.

45 minutes ago, JoeP said:

The improvement it's made to our recruitment is negligible at best.  If you have to work that hard to get it to work for you, I doubt it's worth the time and effort.

I see there's talk of VAR being scrapped.  Maybe some of these new-fangled technologies aren't as good as we're told.

No chance of that vote (which needs 14 PL clubs to agree) of getting through