Mellor

As for David Mellor, well, i thought it was obvious why he was signed? Cheap and offered cover for several positions. But as back-up only in all of those positions.

He's had chances, and plenty of them too; and yet he's still only considered back-up. You'd have to ask why.

Plenty of people bring up his mentality; and - i can't help but summise along those lines too.

I mean, none of us are party to exactly what goes on behind closed doors, but - the 'i can't run boss' incident was a pretty damming example towards his mental capabilties of being a competitive regular professional footballer.

Fitness wise too; he looks to have a real issue with his size; and he balloonsin size easily and also has struggled to last 90mins straight through.

Read people saying if he leaves this will come back to haunt the club. If that happens, so be it. It's hardly a reason for him to kept on though is it?

I think he needs to be playing, for someone, at some level, right now at this stage of his career if he still wants to be a footballer.

And, he's clearly not going to get that with us.

We've (thankfully) moved on and progressed this season,and finally look to have a team that is better than we've had for a good while.

Unfortunately, on pure ability and attitude, Mellor would be a step back again.

He blended right in and didnt shine at a side struggling at the wrong end of the vanarama conference, i think that right there tells you all you need to know right there. I'm one poster who will be amazed if, when he leaves, it "comes back to haunt us"...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where's this LJ manovering Winchester out of the side come from? I've heard a whisper that LJ wants him gone in January, which is of similar ilk too. Where's it coming from eh? Surely if LJ didn't fancy him as a player; Dayton or Tidser would have been playing since the season started. They haven't though, he's been playing Winchester.

Strange...

If we wanted to keep Winchester we'd offer him a contract.

My guess is that somebody's lined up to pay a fee and Latics would rather have that than give the lad what he's worth.

Key word in this post is "guess".

As for Mellor, he needs to move on if he can. I'd love him to come good for Latics but why, at this stage of the season, would you give him the run in the side he needs?

he's family member to a a good friend of corney and the club... what a load of rubbish.

he's got a kid to Paul Whiteheads daughter but that has no effect on what the manager thinks of a player, if a manager wants a certain player in his budget it is his decision not the chairmans!

i think he's a decent player, like many have said when he played CM for the last 8/9 games under johnson in his first season he showed real promise but he now needs week in week out game time which we can't afford to give him, a league two club on loan until the end of the season would be ideal! and then weigh up wether he's worth keeping in the team or not - hopefully we'll be championship and looking for far more luxurious players though.

So he's not a family member of a good friend of Corney and the club?

I bet Paul thinks he is.

Now I didn't say that was the only reason Mellor is here, it was a possible answer to a question posed. Also you don't think Corney has a say or never brought someone to the club?

This could also reply to Prozac, I actually rate Mellor but I cannot deny the lad has not fulfilled his potential or grabbed his many chances

Edited by Lags

Mellor needs a chance somewhere, he will be the next Eardley. Slagged off and then go on to much better things. Kept us up 18 months ago. Good luck lad.

The next Eardley? Eardley was captain and consistently one of our best players while he was here. The same cannot be said of Mellor.

Yep his performances in centre mid were a big reason why we stayed up in 12/13 hes no less mobile than kelly and might not give away as many free kicks. His one and only chance in a league game in centre mid since was at Rotherham ok he stupidly got himself sent off but so did Kusunga a couple of times last season but he got another chance did Mellor? Then the diabolical team performance v Boro in the worthless. Mellor gets hooked never to be seen again. Criticise the lad when he's played 25-30 games on the trot in centre mid how many wrote Winchester off????

Kelly > Mellor every single day of the week.

If Mellor showed enough promise to warrant more starts, whether it was in a match or in training, LJ would play him I have no doubt.

The simple fact is he's not good enough for where we want to be.

I always thought, out of him, Tarky and Winchester, that Mellor was the most likely to make it. People say he's had enough chances but he's never really been given a prolonged run in his favoured position. It's a shame because I'm sure I saw enough early on to suggest he'd come good. As it stands though, he's not likely to become a regular in the near future so it might be in his interest to look for a move. Fresh start could be what he needs but I still reckon he's a decent career ahead of himself.

Guest Stanley30

This guy needs releasing, not good enough but may develop at another club. Vstrange offering him a new contract. No time for sent ament, nowhere near the 1st team

If Mills gets injured we will need him.

He's young, cheap and versatile which is ideal for a squad player. He has ability and even though he hasn't shown it enough I think he's worth the gamble for this season.

Brown and Big George might play LB before him if Mills was out.

Though ones out on loan and the other still out injured, at the moment

Aye, I meant looking at the squad in general though. He isn't first or second reserve in any position, which for me means a loan out. I'd imagine Winchester and Lockwood could play lb if it came to it.

Aye, I meant looking at the squad in general though. He isn't first or second reserve in any position, which for me means a loan out. I'd imagine Winchester and Lockwood could play lb if it came to it.

Lockwood at LB?!? Go to bed, you're drunk.

(Winchester could, obviously, and he'd probably be brilliant.)

• 2 weeks later...

Mellor probably on his way out according to LJ in tonights Chron

"Johnson said defender David Mellor could well leave the club before Thursday: “We have had a couple of bits of interest and it might be the right time for David to go out on loan, possibly with a view to a permanent move. We’re certainly not ruling him out of our squad, but it is proving difficult for him to get in the team.”

Edited by LaticsPete