Holloway

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

We could play Clarke or Gerrard up front and they'd do as good a job as Holloway.

Warren Feeney II.

That's the biggest insult ever given out on OWTB

Feeney could not find a net if he was Cod in Fleetwood or Grimsby harbour

Edited by Stagger Lee

3 minutes ago, Stagger Lee said:

That's the biggest insult ever given out on OWTB

Feeney could not find a net if he was Cod in Fleetwood or Grimsby harbor

Feel pretty bad now.  OK, he's not another Feeney...maybe just another Rocket Ronnie Jepson.

He did a better job for us last season because he attempted to stay upright.  He is now leaning back into the defender so that when they hold his shirt or put their arms round his throat (as 24 did repeatedly last night) the referee treats it as both to blame no foul.  When he falls it is because the defender moves out of the way.  He has to stand tall and remember why he is there.

11 hours ago, NewBlue said:

Talk of him being a fraud is well off the mark however there does become a point when a striker has to score goals. As terrible a side as we are, which is likely to effect a target man more than anybody else, you still feel like if he was fed chances the goals return would be very poor. For a cultured player who can play with the ball on the floor he should be so much more composed in front of goal.

Time to take him out of the side, I agree. We've also been too reliant on his aerial abilities. This season has been an exhibition of hoofball so far. Byrne should counterbalance that, and you also feel the exclusion of Holloway would discourage it as well. Unfortunately a replacement isn't obvious with the start Duffus has made. It's a lot of pressure on Davies to be the man having not scored regular goals for donkeys.

Pretty much spot on.

Holloway isn't useless at all, but he's one of a few players who needed to improve over the summer and doesn't seem to have done so.  Also see Dummigan, Fane and Banks.

I'm not sure that he'll end up being good enough but I don't think we are making the most of him either.  Sadly I think that's the case with a number of players in our squad, not that I think they are world beaters but I feel Shez and the coaching team could've done more with them.

21 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Pretty much spot on.

Holloway isn't useless at all, but he's one of a few players who needed to improve over the summer and doesn't seem to have done so.  Also see Dummigan, Fane and Banks.

I'm not sure that he'll end up being good enough but I don't think we are making the most of him either.  Sadly I think that's the case with a number of players in our squad, not that I think they are world beaters but I feel Shez and the coaching team could've done more with them.

There are enough members of that coaching team for the lack of improvement all round the squad to be seriously questioned.

I'm not sure what the tactics were last night but not crossing the ball from wide areas almost the whole of the first half was probably not one tactic JS implemented. You have to give strikers service and he's not getting any. We also rely on him to hold the ball up and the GK last night looped the ball aimlessly up field giving the Port Vale defence time to out muscle him off the ball. Wilson needed to kick the ball out a lot harder and flatter.   

1 hour ago, opinions4u said:

Too many players have gone backwards.

We'd be doing okay if they'd all merely maintained performance standards.

I disagree. It seems that only Clarke has actually gone worse.

Plus we are seriously missing Ripley and that mudheap of a pitch which covered up a lot of the existing problems

34 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Why should the coaches bother, they don't have contracts.

So presumably they are trying to get contracts elsewhere then?  Nobody else willing to given them a contract?  Not doing a good job of exciting any prospective employer are they on account of them appearing to be shit at their jobs and not deserving a contract here or anywhere else.  How about some professional pride?  

If they really were to say," why would I bother, I have no contract" then they would be parasitic scum. 

But I doubt they would ever say, haven't said it and that and are indeed trying their best..... because they are professionals and don't think like someone stacking shelves at Tesco hopefully.

• 2 months later...
9 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

2 goals and an assist recently 

Definitely seen a change in his approach. The goal he scored at Carlisle was a real poachers goal while the goal to win the Bury game was clinical. 

Now proving to be a useful backup player from the bench.

Doyle has not scored in the last two games but I expect him to play and score tonight. It may be worth giving Holloway a longer spell off the bench and possibly even a start tonight.

5 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Definitely seen a change in his approach. The goal he scored at Carlisle was a real poachers goal while the goal to win the Bury game was clinical. 

Doyle has not scored in the last two games but I expect him to play and score tonight. It may be worth giving Holloway a longer spell off the bench and possibly even a start tonight.

I'd agree with that. Make Doyle play 45 tonight and rest Davies not even on the bench.

On 07/11/2017 at 10:41 AM, TheBigDog said:

Different player when he's in the box, instead of marking the full back under Shez. He's a handful in the box.