Peterborough number 11

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, disjointed said:

I'd be very surprised if it was overturned, Wilson had his hands on his back, and being the last man I don't think the ref had any option.

The fact that it got a little exposure on talksport where it was mentioned that he dived may help our cause. It certainly wont harm it..

2 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

The fact that it got a little exposure on talksport where it was mentioned that he dived may help our cause. It certainly wont harm it..

The FA always seem to back the referee's decision, alright not always, but, I don't see them overturning this one. Would be happy to be wrong though.

I'd assumed the penalty was cut and dried when I watched it live but after seeing the replay, it's clear that Maddison looks for the foul with a flourish.

His last touch took the ball onto his unfavoured right foot so maybe he fancied his chances better on his left from 12 yards?

I didn't go to the match due to work commitments abroad but have watched the Maddison pen incident on player. Firstly at full speed and from the ref's position on the pitch I can see why the pen is given and also why Wilson then see's red, even though for me it was not a  deliberate foul.

That said after watching it back, it's not a pen and not a sending off for me. It's outside the box, so at worst a free kick. Maddison clearly buy's the pen, that in itself does not not make it a pen. What I mean is sometimes a player buys himself a free kick or pen by inducing his opponent to make a challenge where he clearly will foul before any chance of getting the ball. In this case Maddison cheats to achieve the pen. Not only did he alter his course to make sure the on rushing Wilson ran into him (which still doesn't not make it a foul) he then hangs in the air reaching out with his right leg looking for the contact and down he goes. The two latter movements for me makes it a cheat and no pen. 

Edited by Lags

1 minute ago, dec666 said:

How much do these appeals actually cost?

Can’t be that much if we’re appealing a decision likely to go against us. Seems like we had a go on the off chance.

I personally thought it was a given it would get rescinded 

Edited by robboman

33 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

What a waste of money. Just glad they didn't extend the ban.

I'm not sure if I'm more annoyed about the appeal being rejected, or you being proved right :D

I'm still glad we did it though.  It was the right thing to do as it shouldn't have been a red card given Maddison's actions.  There's too much acceptance of shitty cheating as 'part of the game' or 'there was contact so he had the right to go down'.  This just highlights how shit the appeals system is.  I thought it was pretty clear that what Maddison did made Wilson's "foul" accidental and therefore a yellow card.  But there you go.

32 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

...Can see why the Ref gave it and the league would never overturn these kind of "marginal" decisions BUT Banks' was a penalty all day long so when you talk about things evening out over a season, this one evened out inside 20 minutes!

Not evened out cos if Banks one is given we could have hoped for a red card for him too hence strengthening our squad !

If it had been Doyle or Davies that had done that, lots on here would be saying it was a clever use of the body, until the authorities start clamping down on cheating it is going to happen at all clubs. The referees are blameless in giving the penalties, in real time it looks like a penalty, and one thing we dont need is video replays at the time, let the game go on and we can all discuss the rights or wrongs later.  

12 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

...Can see why the Ref gave it and the league would never overturn these kind of "marginal" decisions BUT Banks' was a penalty all day long so when you talk about things evening out over a season, this one evened out inside 20 minutes!

Without the red card and penalty, I very much doubt Banks would have been on the pitch.

Ref was conned.

BB80 proven to be mistaken.

Poor (if in this case understandable) refereeing decisions are supported by the fuckwits running the game.

• 1 month later...