Gillingam (h)

1 minute ago, GlossopLatic said:

We overcrowded the centre of the pitch which meant he had less space to move into and make any of his runs it was a difficult night for him due to the lack of chances.

Absolutely. He looked sluggish to me though which I can only assume is down to a lack of game time.

Personally agree with I think SJK’s team... 

4-3-1-2 

Placide 

Hunt Edmundson Gerrard Moimbe

Gardner Fane Pringle (midfield 3)

Byrne (solely there to create and press further up the pitch) 

Davies and Doyle (doing what they did so well at the start of their partnership)

12 hours ago, Ryan said:

I’d start Pringle, also. At Rotherham he was head and shoulders above any other player in this league aged 24, he should currently be in his prime. 

Players of his age don’t suddenly lose all of their ability unless they’ve had a bad injury. I can’t help but feel he’s being used incorrectly by the manager and we are really missing a trick not getting the best out of him.

He did have a bad injury, that’s why he was out of the Preston side, why we were able to get him on loan and why he is struggling to get back to where he was a few years ago

I'd go similar to Glossop's team, but switch some of the positions around.

Placide

Hunt

Edmundson

Gerrard

Moimbe

Byrne

Fane

Gardner

Davies

Doyle

Duck

It's an attacking team and in my eyes a fluid system, but it allows Davies and Byrne to support Doyle and one or the other to cover on the right when defending.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the Duck get another goal or two this season cutting in from the left so I think we should utilise this as much as possible.

That said, the 4-1-3-2 with Pringle looked balanced in midfield against Blackburn so I wouldn't think that would be a bad option.

I still want a solid 442 try and get wide of times and put the ball in early not all the time but enough to give box players like Doyle something to run onto. Walsall were awful but we just didn't stretch them. Moimbe did a cracking job of trying to get forward and put crosses in. A couple were decent or Walsall defended well but at least it gives the likes of Doyle something to try and get on the end of. This isn't a criticism of Hunt as he's not an attacking full-back he only put one cross in all game.  I'd bring Nepo back in on the left, he's a tidy crosser at times. Nazon has to start after the Walsall game was he a real threat for the first half and gives us some much needed pace. Gardner has been awful for weeks to inconsistent. He can go from playing a Hollywood ball to a misplaced 5 yard in 2 minutes but his work rate seems to have dropped as well hes got the engine to cover every blade of grass on the pitch and has doen it at times but he's been rubbish these last few weeks. I actually think he plays better when Bryne isn't in the team. 

Placide

Hunt

Edmundson

Gerrard

Moimbe

Nepo

Bryne

Fane

McEleney

Nazon

Doyle

Edited by bluehobbit

So you’ve essentially put Fane in the midfield and that’s it... post above. No way he drops Gardner.

For all his faults, I like Gardner but he ain’t gonna get us out of this league he’s your typical inconsistent league one midfielder. He’ll graft his bollocks off and more often than not have a 7/10 performance but he gets in very valuable positions only to misplace a pass or put it out of play or shoot 20 yards wide of goal, so frustrating but he’s a certain to start in our squad. 

Gardner Fane Pringle as central midfield 3, Pringle and Gardner able to cover right and left flanks. 

Byrne in front with no defensive duties past the halfway line but needs to be used to press the opposition defence because he’s good at that getting in their faces. 

For me tomorrow 433

Davies Doyle  Nazon

Byrne

Gardner Fane

Moimbe - Gerrard  Edmundson  Hunt

Placide

Get Davies and Nazon starting wide coming in.

16 hours ago, mikejh45 said:

I would go back to a midfield of Nepo, Gardner, Byrne & Fane as we had for our best run late last year. 

I agree, get back to what worked for Wellens at the start, I know we leaked goals but we also looked comfortable in possession and created chances. 

I've been reading through comments regarding McAleney and, IMO, there is a good player there but at the moment we are expecting him to play in a disciplined wide role but, to me, he looks like he wants to play in that area that Gardner likes to operate in when he's attacking. He likes to play left side so he can cut in onto his right which looks like he's pushing Gardner further in and cutting down on Byrne's space leaving Byrne to go wide right to get some grass.

Get Nepo back on the wing and see if Gardner and Byrne can pick up their passing game again.

Edited by mikejh45

36 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Placide

Hunt - Gerrard - Edmundson - Moimbe

Gardner

Nepo - Byrne - Pringle

Davies - Doyle

Bit lightweight in midfield for me. Left-footed Nepo playing on the right; out of form Pringle on left; Byrne, who I've yet to see make a tackle, in middle. Great when we've got the ball but what about when they get it ?

19 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Bit lightweight in midfield for me. Left-footed Nepo playing on the right; out of form Pringle on left; Byrne, who I've yet to see make a tackle, in middle. Great when we've got the ball but what about when they get it ?

We managed okay in Wellens first dozen games, we were winning and letting two in most weeks yet some weren't happy, now we are just letting the two in most weeks but can't attack for toffee.

8 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

We managed okay in Wellens first dozen games, we were winning and letting two in most weeks yet some weren't happy, now we are just letting the two in most weeks but can't attack for toffee.

Take your point but that was on firmer, dryer pitches and think it's a bit more attritional at this time of year and in our position (i.e. you have to put your foot in a bit more).