27 minutes ago, singe said:

I think that would be the best option. Then him as manager with Clarkey as his Assistant. Then Clarke as manager... 

A dynasty! 

Bit of joined up thinking would make a nice change in the lower leagues, rather than the usual suspects over and over again. 

6 minutes ago, Twisbrogan said:

AL to discuss Wild taking it full-time...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6566993/Oldham-chairman-Abdallah-Lemsagam-hold-talks-caretaker-boss-Pete-Wild.html

...almost surprised that he hasn't gone odds-on after reading this.

Be surprised if we go down this route again after the bright start Wellens made when caretaker and what subsequently happened.  It's getting to the stage where they will have to appoint him soon but it's a big gamble.

10 minutes ago, Twisbrogan said:

AL to discuss Wild taking it full-time...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6566993/Oldham-chairman-Abdallah-Lemsagam-hold-talks-caretaker-boss-Pete-Wild.html

...almost surprised that he hasn't gone odds-on after reading this.

Just now, yarddog73 said:

Be surprised if we go down this route again after the bright start Wellens made when caretaker and what subsequently happened.  It's getting to the stage where they will have to appoint him soon but it's a big gamble.

Does it indicate AL is finding it difficult to attract anyone more experienced/better?

8 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Wild is not Wellens.Every managerial appointment is a risk.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

He done an amazing job but to appoint Wild would be a mistake in my opinion and as someone who has a steady job at the club and has for a decade it wouldn't be right for the fans to turn on him which will happen...

let him be part of the 1st team coaching staff keep learning and maybe hell be ready for it in the future.

I can’t believe AL would go down this route again apart from it being once again the cheap option. 

As well as Wild has done just like Bunn he has zero experience of managing above youth level and how would he cope if we lost the next three?

More to the point how would AL cope!!

Admittedly, there are no guarantees whoever we appoint but we’ve had enough experience by now to know that this is a very dodgy path.

A deal to the end of the season then the promise of a return to the academy if he so wishes may be the way forward. It really depends on what sort of ambition AL has for this club and whether or not promotion is the aim for this season.

It may well work out better now we have a sporting director to handle the recruitment of players but knowing AL if our form takes a dive it could all turn to shit very quickly!

2 hours ago, alwaysblue said:

Wild is not Wellens.Every managerial appointment is a risk.

Of course it is but we also have a responsibility to the lad himself, if he wants it he has to be considered but it would be a tough one if it starts to go pear shaped and he's found wanting, particularly as he's a genuine fan of the club.

In reality he really shouldn't be under consideration, appears that Bunn was just sacked on a whim with no real plan.

This week will be the first 'normal' one in terms of training etc, top scorer out of the picture, a resounding win on Saturday and who knows.

1 hour ago, palmer1 said:

He done an amazing job but to appoint Wild would be a mistake in my opinion and as someone who has a steady job at the club and has for a decade it wouldn't be right for the fans to turn on him which will happen...

let him be part of the 1st team coaching staff keep learning and maybe hell be ready for it in the future.

Wild has done enough now to let him decide what he wants to do at anything below manager. If he wants the Head of Academy role he should get it, if he wants a role with the first team he should get it. 

If he carries on the way he has done, if he wants the manager's job he should get it. (Not quite yet for me but in a few weeks he might be there). Something very similar should apply to Peter Clarke too, with the exception of the manager's job. 

He's done an amazing job so far. 

I'd leave him as caretaker for the next 4/6 weeks or so unless a stand out applicant wants the job, to see how he responds when things don't go to plan. No need to panic and make any permanent appointment IMO. 

We know AL will make all transfer decisions in the window anyway so Wildy can just get on with the on field stuff and work with what he gets. 

We do need to strengthen up front quickly though. With Surridge and Miller now gone we are left with only OG and Lang as strikers which I don't think will be good enough to challenge. 

Also need a centre half..... 

52 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

He's done an amazing job so far. 

I'd leave him as caretaker for the next 4/6 weeks or so unless a stand out applicant wants the job, to see how he responds when things don't go to plan. No need to panic and make any permanent appointment IMO. 

We know AL will make all transfer decisions in the window anyway so Wildy can just get on with the on field stuff and work with what he gets. 

We do need to strengthen up front quickly though. With Surridge and Miller now gone we are left with only OG and Lang as strikers which I don't think will be good enough to challenge. 

Also need a centre half..... 

We still have Baxter,Benteke and Norman and maybe Duffus .Wild is getting the best out of players like Nepo and Engone,so maybe he can get the best out of the others.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Reckon it's Scholes if he wants it.

Funnily enough at the game on Sunday some bloke was telling me that Scholes is getting the gig - info came from the same person who told him Bunn was getting canned.

Of course it could all be absolute bollocks, but there we go.

For what it's worth - and it could well turn to shit - I'd opt for Scholes every single day of the week.

As well as Pete Wild has done and as happy as I am for him in what he has achieved in such a short space of time, I can't help but feel taking the job on a full time basis will be a poor move for all parties. Pete Wild said himself that he wants to ensure that he is ready before stepping up into the permanent role. The job security thing for me is a worry, from one man to another, I feel that he is better off staying with the youth team, learning his trade there and his time WILL come again inevitably. 

I can't help but feel that it's a 'Wellens II' all over this. The real test will be when we eventually lose or get on a bad run or he comes under pressure from AL, that to a normal manager is hard enough but to be so new into the job and support the club too, I feel could really drag him down and I wouldn't want that for Wild until he feels he is ready and fully prepared to take on what seemingly looks like a poisoned chalice.

If he wants it and is determined it can work then that's something separate to take into consideration, however, i'm not sure things can change that quickly in a person's head over 10 days. Especially making a decision which in 6 months time could see him removed from the club if things do not work out.

I will of course support him in every way should he take the job (if offered to him) and it does have a potential to be a great success story but I am sceptical regarding the possibility of him being appointed full time.

Edited by unsworthlatic

It’s not our job to look after Pete Wild. Pete Wild can do that. He can make decisions for himself. He knows the pitfalls, and will take them into account when making a decision about whether to take the job or not, should it be offered to him. 

39 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

Funnily enough at the game on Sunday some bloke was telling me that Scholes is getting the gig - info came from the same person who told him Bunn was getting canned.

Of course it could all be absolute bollocks, but there we go.

For what it's worth - and it could well turn to shit - I'd opt for Scholes every single day of the week.

So would I, for the sheer theatre of it.