Barry Owen. The truth

1) We have a limited capacity as we can't staff for a full crowd

4) Keeping the employment tribunal busy

5) He publicly said we shouldn't have appointed Kelly not half an hour after he was unveiled 

6) Please don't do this any more

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Clifford said:

Lol when he suggested going up would be a bad thing. Man doesn't know fuck all about being a fan and what a fan looks for considering he was the fans rep at one point.

Shame but I can see Barry Jnr doing the same now he has got his trust seat. Starting to creep in with his social media comments. Maybe it is not possible to be a true fans rep and be on the board. The free tickets and pies are a stronger habit to kick than spice it seems.

To be fair I believe he's bought a Season Ticket, maybe it's just the free pies then.

Lags

I dont know the man and have never met him so I cannot comment on him other than have an opinion of someone in his professional position 

A Director(s) of a football club should raise concerns of any financial irregularities/malpractice to the owner of the club. The owner might well of sacked them but they would have done what the position as a Director requires.  If after raising their concerns to the owner, no immediate changes were made, they should have resigned as a Director.

Further to the point you made regarding his (BO) decision to stay on the inside of the club to explore what was really going on, its disappointing that given his previous employment in the Police that, to the best of my knowledge, no irregularities/ malpractice has ever been exposed and pursued through the legal system.

Simply put, if a Director does not take any action to change the failing regime of an organisation, they become themselves, an integral part of the problem.

7 minutes ago, Lags said:

Why?

😂

Your insistence on us seeing his good side is getting a bit creepy. 

23 minutes ago, Lags said:

Anybody taking up BO's offer?. I would most definitely.  

Maybe no one cares in the way you do?

Maybe they’d rather spend time with family than have a pint with Baz. 

Maybe, just maybe people are happy to pass comment on a forum about a director of the football Club we support, and then go have a five knuckle shuffle? 

• Like 1

Just now, Dave_Og said:

Why have you taken such a stand to be his advocate? Barely mentioned on here lately. All you've done is stir up long held grievances. 

So it's not surreal then. Come on Dave just say it like it is, its all about something I said over 10 years ago. People still talk about the world being round all this time later.

It's a forum for members to post on. Providing it's not offensive I thought all was game on all things Latics. Over the years I've believed more and more the BO legend of villainy is just folklore. 

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

😂

Your insistence on us seeing his good side is getting a bit creepy. 

Maybe no one cares in the way you do?

Maybe they’d rather spend time with family than have a pint with Baz. 

Maybe, just maybe people are happy to pass comment on a forum about a director of the football Club we support, and then go have a five knuckle shuffle? 

Creepy!! Tut

4 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Why have you taken such a stand to be his advocate? Barely mentioned on here lately. All you've done is stir up long held grievances. 

All a bit weird this,Barry will not be winning any popularity contests either now or in the foreseeable future.

That allied to the fact that he is very much onside with an owner who is trying his hardest to make Corney look like a choirboy, pointless exercise trying to launch an appreciation society.

2 minutes ago, archiecat said:

All a bit weird this,Barry will not be winning any popularity contests either now or in the foreseeable future.

That allied to the fact that he is very much onside with an owner who is trying his hardest to make Corney look like a choirboy, pointless exercise trying to launch an appreciation society.

I am not seeking any of those. Just a genuine interest in what people's real grievances are. Some have answered, some choose not to. 

3 hours ago, Lags said:

I've had some feedback from BO, here are some of the contributions

1. work with the safety officer in ensuring the club is compliant with the law in respect of ground safety. This requires meeting with the local authority and emergency services.

2. Liaise with EFL and FA on regulatory matters involving discipline and appeal. He also currently sits on the disciplinary commissions for the  FA.

3. Liaise with referees committee re performance of referees.

4. Liaise with club legal team on internal discipline investigations and hearings.

5. Assist the ownership with recruitment of management team and players when requested.

6. Maintain relations with numerous agents and football clubs known over long periods resulting in signings such as Lang last season.

Along with general help on a daily basis when asked to do so.

He say's he's perfectly happy to meet anyone on a one to one basis to discuss club duties etc. and he is fully committed to helping the club on a daily basis.

I'd like to add I very rarely see BO either socially or in the course of my daily life. Perhaps speak with him once every 6 months or so. Yes I have his phone number, as I do Alan Hardy, as I did Corney, but that's not unusual lots of people do.

Some members of this board have shared their reasons for their beliefs and who's to say they're wrong, not me for sure. If it was me, I'd take up BO offer even if it's just to air my concerns but also to get a little insight into running a football club.  

Has Barry forgot his log-in /been banned?

Aside from what has already been mentioned don't forget:

1.) Being the Trust representative (defacto fans' representative) on the board and being the one telling fans not to cheat the system by claiming to be a certain age. Effectively being Corney and Brassbank's mouthpiece for years. Funny how he stayed quiet over the sale to AL. 

2.) Reiterating the quite ridiculous comment, given the mid-April timing, from GMP of telling fans they should have arrived earlier when hundreds (some with tickets) were locked out at Bury. 

Then staying quiet when asked what he did as both a club Director and former senior copper to appease the situation. While saying there was nothing that could have been done better from Oldham's view. Ignoring the news article that clearly said if the fans without tickets travel in the anticipated numbers then there may not be enough space for everyone. 

3.) Advertising the Trust meeting where he was re-elected as Trust chair by the other X members of the Trust board only after it took place. 

4.) Doing ask Barry threads on here then not responding. IIRC @jsslatic waited ages for a response to his reasonable question. 

Yet all that is small-fry compared to the Ched Evans fiasco when he was willing to sign a convicted unrepentant rapist, who was on the sex offender's register for life to a 'family club' all to suit his personal campaign for prisoner rehabilitation. Something he didn't take that seriously when he was in charge of the unit tasked with stopping the Strangeways riot. Or when he wrote a barely legible letter to the judge during the trial of the Trust's Finance Director who stole a few grand. Or during the Montano affair. 

There's another reason why I can't stand him but as it relates to the mid-80s it isn't right to bring it up in detail here. 

Edited by rudemedic
Extra detail
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Unless Im having a case of deja vu.

Im certain Lags has started near enough identical topics about Barry Owen in the past.

21 hours ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

Barry was the Trust representative on the board and failed to file the Trust accounts...for SEVEN STRAIGHT YEARS. I’m also unclear what his role in the Abdallah takeover was. Abdallah was clearly sold a pup by Corney, so where was the due diligence. Surely it wasn’t in the hands of Barry Owen in his advisory capacity?

As for Barry moaning about the financial mismanagement of the club under the previous regime...he’s got more front than Blackpool promenade.

The man is a big part of the problem and has been for years. The only mystery is why some people think the shambles of the last fuck-knows-how-many years is not at least partly a product of Barry’s efforts.

You know I love you Lags but pull the other one. 

Whilst I agree with most of that.... it wouldn’t be Big Bad Baz’s (a sitting director of the selling party) job to ensure due diligence on the part of the buying party. That’s up to the buying party and their legal advisors.

13 minutes ago, Fanny Adams said:

Unless Im having a case of deja vu.

Im certain Lags has started near enough identical topics about Barry Owen in the past.

All it has achieved is to remind everybody what a twat he is and probs informed some who didn’t know.

l’m all for lags doing this every 12 months or so.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lags said:

I've had some feedback from BO, here are some of the contributions

1. work with the safety officer in ensuring the club is compliant with the law in respect of ground safety. This requires meeting with the local authority and emergency services.

Not allowed at full capacity at the moment I believe so that's nowt to brag about...

2. Liaise with EFL and FA on regulatory matters involving discipline and appeal. He also currently sits on the disciplinary commissions for the  FA.

I read this as "fills forms in after yellow and red cards"

3. Liaise with referees committee re performance of referees.

The refs have been worse than ever. It appears that is also Barry's fault. Shit ref every week. Cheers Baz

4. Liaise with club legal team on internal discipline investigations and hearings. 

"Mr lawyer man, we've sacked that fat, tub of lard centre back, make sure you turn up at his tribunal to keep our payout low"

5. Assist the ownership with recruitment of management team and players when requested.

He is responsible for Darren Kelly, David Dunn, Paul Scholes and God knows who else? I'd keep that quiet

6. Maintain relations with numerous agents and football clubs known over long periods resulting in signings such as Lang last season.

Lang was good but did he bring in Ellis Plummer? If so, I'd keep that quiet too

• Like 4