Bury: Minutes to Midnight

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I feel for the genuine fans of Bury FC. Yesterday was a sad day for football too. It seems inevitable that more clubs will follow in the near future. Could the richer clubs do more by passing more of the tv money down the leagues? Probably but that alone would not be enough. The EFL have to step in and monitor clubs spending beyond their means.

If we take the emotion out of it, Bury have folded because, as a business, their operating model was flawed and not sustainable.

A sad but inevitable outcome. 

The amount of money isn't the true problem surely, it's the incentives of spending

If you gave a Chairman like Day more he'd manage to spunk it on some other outlandish ambition

My worry is, now Bury are gone.... if Bolton and Macclesfield follow.... does this make it easier for Blitz to pull the ladder up on the land/stand sale to the FLG, evict Marco for not paying his rent and build houses all over BP, say...... could there by less scrutiny and media attention making it easier for individuals to realise the value of their assets. Could this ultimately make it more [not less] likely we go too......

5 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

My worry is, now Bury are gone.... if Bolton and Macclesfield follow.... does this make it easier for Blitz to pull the ladder up on the land/stand sale to the FLG, evict Marco for not paying his rent and build houses all over BP, say...... could there by less scrutiny and media attention making it easier for individuals to realise the value of their assets. Could this ultimately make it more [not less] likely we go too......

If that were his intention and it was that easy surely he does it years ago.

8 minutes ago, latics22 said:

We dont spend crazy money like bury so lets hope we are living within are needs.

Do we not?

Mystery still surrounds contracts such as Queensy on £11k a week..

5 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

.....are the circumstances now making it easier for him to do it, that's what I'm pondering.....?

I think there will be a tightening of the regulations now to be honest, certainly don't think there will be a flurry of clubs going to the wall as many seem to think.

2 hours ago, JohnG123 said:

Great post.

I also think lower league footballers need to get a grip on reality and come to terms with earning a reasonable salary. The problem is its a short career

No they dont.

Footballers aren't responsible for this. The governing bodies are. Prem and EFL for doing nothing to stop spending getting to the level it has.

It isn't each individual players responsibility to say 'ooo no, dont pay me that'

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

I think there will be a tightening of the regulations now to be honest, certainly don't think there will be a flurry of clubs going to the wall as many seem to think.

I hope you're right.... I'm not convinced though.... I think more will go before that point comes. There has to be a debate about the role of the FA and the EFL. There has to be an independent regulator and if that is to be the FA, they cannot continue to be so closely aligned to the Premier League. The regulator will have to impose rules that includes an agreement on the sharing of wealth. None of this will happen quickly..... others will go before then I feel, I just hope were not one of them.

39 minutes ago, latics22 said:

We dont spend crazy money like bury so lets hope we are living within are needs.

30 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Do we not?

Mystery still surrounds contracts such as Queensy on £11k a week..

12 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Maybe that stung AL into reigning back and he's now more prudent?

4 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Let's hope so, although even Maouche on £4k is pretty ridiculous..

I don't imagine Wheater comes cheap.......

Financial Fair Play will have to be changed to ensure that clubs at least break even and subsidies by owners in whatever form are excluded from the calculation.  Players will then have to accept the wages clubs can afford and owners will have to work to increase their fan base.

Extremely sad day for English football. I really hope this is a lesson to all clubs about the reality of what football has become.

Nowadays even a new owner doesn't necessarily promise security and/or stability (as if us Latics fans need told that). As the Premier League gap continues to grow and fans become further disillusioned, this is the key time for change.

Like many have said, the Bundesliga 50+1 model or even full fan ownership is the future of lower league modern football. As we've learned from this Bury fiasco, the EFL doesn't have our best interests at heart; the writing has been on the wall for years and Dale literally had no interest in the club. To quote what he said on TalkSport, "I didn't know there was a club in Bury." How can fans in England continue to blindly trust owners who, more often than not, don't have their best interests at heart and/or have absolutely no willingness to connect with the fans/town?

We aren't safe. Those I've seen laughing on Twitter at Bury are just laughing into a mirror. We have an owner who appears to treat us like he's playing Football Manager and works behind closed doors. We don't own the land, we don't own the new stand. Other clubs are the same. It happened to Leyton Orient, Notts County, etc and Bolton will be next to face the Grim Reaper, aka EFL board. It wasn't long ago we were in Bury's shoes.

So what do we do as fans now?

We can call for AL to leave but who will replace him? It took Corney that long to even find him that I doubt some magic investor will come along with the state we're in. Look how Bury/Bolton have struggled to find an owner - especially Bolton who have a lot more to offer than we do. We'll be stuck in the same boat and we'll all wonder why - yet again.

IMO fan ownership or 50+1 is the way. Sadly there isn't that drive for it like there is in mainland Europe. I hope we see the light before we end up with a countdown timer on Sky Sports. Personally I'd rather all clubs restart as phoenix clubs; better to have a club that is yours than to watch it go bust on national TV because of some random sociopath with a few quid.

Slowly, slowly...

1 hour ago, singe said:

I do wonder if Dale is going to get the value any of the assets. 

Let's hope Gigg Lane goes to phoenix club. 

He'll probably reform the club lower down in non league and move to a ground share somewhere. Then give the club to the supporters and redevelop the ground as houses to pay off the debt owned by his daughter's partner.

2 hours ago, JohnG123 said:

Great post.

I also think lower league footballers need to get a grip on reality and come to terms with earning a reasonable salary. The problem is its a short career , Hence why some semi professional players refuse to give up their day job to go fully professional.

A solution needs to be found or most lower league clubs will either disappear or be left with no choice than to go semi professional.........  

It's a shortish career I agree, but that doesn't account for any footballer earning five or ten grand a week, and let's not even mention the premier league. A footballer who looks after themself can squeeze 15 years plus of decent earning capacity. A couple of grand a week over that time would set me up nicely for my life beyond football. Bearing in mind most of us mortals have to work these days well into our sixties earning a fraction of this, I struggle to sympathise with any pro footballer, lower league or otherwise 

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Macclesfield, Blackpool and Coventry are on Bolton supporters' Clubs in Crisis Whatsapp group. There are other clubs that have been named to join, but the sources are not verified - so it's a bit naughty to mention them I suppose.

Notts County? Squires alluded to them in yesterday’s toon.

40 minutes ago, No Pyro No Party said:

Extremely sad day for English football. I really hope this is a lesson to all clubs about the reality of what football has become.

Nowadays even a new owner doesn't necessarily promise security and/or stability (as if us Latics fans need told that). As the Premier League gap continues to grow and fans become further disillusioned, this is the key time for change.

Like many have said, the Bundesliga 50+1 model or even full fan ownership is the future of lower league modern football. As we've learned from this Bury fiasco, the EFL doesn't have our best interests at heart; the writing has been on the wall for years and Dale literally had no interest in the club. To quote what he said on TalkSport, "I didn't know there was a club in Bury." How can fans in England continue to blindly trust owners who, more often than not, don't have their best interests at heart and/or have absolutely no willingness to connect with the fans/town?

We aren't safe. Those I've seen laughing on Twitter at Bury are just laughing into a mirror. We have an owner who appears to treat us like he's playing Football Manager and works behind closed doors. We don't own the land, we don't own the new stand. Other clubs are the same. It happened to Leyton Orient, Notts County, etc and Bolton will be next to face the Grim Reaper, aka EFL board. It wasn't long ago we were in Bury's shoes.

So what do we do as fans now?

We can call for AL to leave but who will replace him? It took Corney that long to even find him that I doubt some magic investor will come along with the state we're in. Look how Bury/Bolton have struggled to find an owner - especially Bolton who have a lot more to offer than we do. We'll be stuck in the same boat and we'll all wonder why - yet again.

IMO fan ownership or 50+1 is the way. Sadly there isn't that drive for it like there is in mainland Europe. I hope we see the light before we end up with a countdown timer on Sky Sports. Personally I'd rather all clubs restart as phoenix clubs; better to have a club that is yours than to watch it go bust on national TV because of some random sociopath with a few quid.

Slowly, slowly...

Do Bolton have any land assets, who owns the stadium?

Archived