Bury: Minutes to Midnight

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Twisbrogan said:

He'll step aside or sell to one of the groups that have made bids. The club will then make big wage signings in the next transfer window and the fans will be convinced that this is part of a plan to reach the Championship.

If he gets his payout

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7382855/Bury-owner-Steve-Dale-holding-2million-payment-time-resources.html

38 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

..or some of it... or none of it at all.

The 'protests'; the drama of using a bike padlock to attach oneself to a drainpipe; a shouty man kicking (then closing) a door; every bit of media coverage is just part of a negotiation.

Think its about time the EFL reviewed who can own football clubs and what they can do with them.

The fact a 134 year local institution is in the hands of this delusional idiot and their isn't currently alot anyone can do about it puts everyone in a very difficult situation.

The EFL have to make changes it probably won't stop crooks or lunatics buying football clubs or football clubs getting into financial strife however they should atleast be able to stop some of the things they can do.

22 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

No chance they get kicked out. 

Yes, a deal will get done somehow. The EFL won't want blood on their hands and will do everything they can to facilitate it. Ironically that might include not enforcing their own rules on the new owner again.

They'll obviously get a further points deduction and will be relegated but I don't think they should be in League 1. I'd have applied the points deduction to last season.

4 minutes ago, bozman said:

Yes, a deal will get done somehow. The EFL won't want blood on their hands and will do everything they can to facilitate it. Ironically that might include not enforcing their own rules on the new owner again.

They'll obviously get a further points deduction and will be relegated but I don't think they should be in League 1. I'd have applied the points deduction to last season.

I think their season should be forfeited and they start next year in League 2 on -15

Their Town has deserted the Club  over the years with a Home average crowd of 4,000 (Bury population c190,000) and a run of poor owners. Any club will ship losses with those attendances compounded by what players expect to be paid. 

Like looking in the mirror this 🙄

40 minutes ago, League one forever said:

We’d love it if it was us. .

If we get to this stage (and I do accept that we might) I would expect to be kicked out of the league.

Hopefully EFL will change things on the back of it. I won't hold my breath. Not sure really what the solution is.

I don't really think that it's the Premier league's responsibility to give lower league football more money.

92 professional football clubs is probably too many.

I don't think wages at our level are over inflated, they are quite fair given the longevity of careers and low job security.

Issue is there's low demand for it. Bury and Oldham are very good examples of this.

9 minutes ago, trickyrickyholden said:

I don't think wages at our level are over inflated, they are quite fair given the longevity of careers and low job security.

Never really got this.

They're great wages for over 10 years "work".

When it's over you should be made up for life ( unless you've spent too much getting daft tattoos on your arms ) and are eligible to get a proper job 'til your pension kicks in.

Would agree with the rest of your post but it's ridiculous that a week's wages from a Premiership player could make most League 1 and 2 clubs viable.

I'd be surprised if anyone came in for them. The options seem to be sell up for £2M and leave the club's debt behind, so a cost of £5-6M for a club with no players, definite relegation, a tiny fanbase (nigh on non-league) so little other than a cash cow. For this you will have the Bury fans clamouring for a promotion team like in the days of the financial doping. You'd have to be bonkers.

The other option is they don't sell, he builds houses on the ground (after six months of wiping any covenants off it). 

I don't think he really gives a monkeys which is chosen.

As for Bury, meh. Not bothered really. The ones who have been diddled by this affair are Mansfield who did nothing wrong and the people that have been done by their unpaid debts. The list is shameful. Bury fans can restart themselves another team. Other people who have lost jobs, community assets and homes because of their recklessness cannot. 

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Think its about time the EFL reviewed who can own football clubs and what they can do with them.

The fact a 134 year local institution is in the hands of this delusional idiot and their isn't currently alot anyone can do about it puts everyone in a very difficult situation.

The EFL have to make changes it probably won't stop crooks or lunatics buying football clubs or football clubs getting into financial strife however they should atleast be able to stop some of the things they can do.

Agree something needs to change. My suggestion would be something like:

New EFL club owners should have to put a sum of money into an escrow account that is equivalent to the last 2 years of of audited accounts.

This should be on top of a provable 3 seasons business plan.

If they can’t afford to do this they can’t afford to buy a football club.

42 minutes ago, OldhamSheridan said:

I'd be surprised if anyone came in for them. The options seem to be sell up for £2M and leave the club's debt behind, so a cost of £5-6M for a club with no players, definite relegation, a tiny fanbase (nigh on non-league) so little other than a cash cow. For this you will have the Bury fans clamouring for a promotion team like in the days of the financial doping. You'd have to be bonkers.

The other option is they don't sell, he builds houses on the ground (after six months of wiping any covenants off it). 

I don't think he really gives a monkeys which is chosen.

As for Bury, meh. Not bothered really. The ones who have been diddled by this affair are Mansfield who did nothing wrong and the people that have been done by their unpaid debts. The list is shameful. Bury fans can restart themselves another team. Other people who have lost jobs, community assets and homes because of their recklessness cannot. 

I’m not sure you know what a cash cow is but other than that not wrong. 

57 minutes ago, OldhamSheridan said:

I'd be surprised if anyone came in for them. The options seem to be sell up for £2M and leave the club's debt behind, so a cost of £5-6M for a club with no players, definite relegation, a tiny fanbase (nigh on non-league) so little other than a cash cow. 

You're basically buying their place in the league. 

I wonder if some of the moneybags clubs in non-league are sniffing around. 

I know the FA were supposed to have put an end to that after the MK Dons fiasco, but would anyone be that surprised if we ended up with AFC Fyldeshakers?

1 hour ago, WLYOWD said:

Agree something needs to change. My suggestion would be something like:

New EFL club owners should have to put a sum of money into an escrow account that is equivalent to the last 2 years of of audited accounts.

This should be on top of a provable 3 seasons business plan.

If they can’t afford to do this they can’t afford to buy a football club.

That would rule out buyers (or fans groups) looking to take over the club and live within it's means, it would be a huge ask to find say £4 million to sit in a bank before you even started. Reminds me of FC Eibar who won promotion to La Liga but were threatened with being sent to the 3rd division because they didn't have 2 million lodged (even though they were apparently in the best financial state of any club in Spain)

1 hour ago, SweeperKeeper said:

You're basically buying their place in the league. 

I wonder if some of the moneybags clubs in non-league are sniffing around. 

I know the FA were supposed to have put an end to that after the MK Dons fiasco, but would anyone be that surprised if we ended up with AFC Fyldeshakers?

Me

Problem is he wants back what he's put in by sorting things out from the previous owner. However he continued to sign players they couldn't afford. What did he expect to happen. The EFL should be able to force him to accept the best offer he ha received. They really need to have a good look at their rules

Archived