Stadium Plans Thread

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well after going round Oldham town centre yesterday, if I had a business I wouldnt want it anywhere near there. What...a....s**thole, in fact, it gives the term s**thole a bad name !!!!

I took this picture today. The failure to remove this from a public notice board since 1999 does not improve the town's image. :disappointed:

4331386160_0be29332a2_b.jpg

Its a cross between Swansea & Colchester, same old boring bowless, souless ground. WE DONT WANT THAT, WE WANT TRADITION AND UNEEQNESS OF BOUNDARY PARK

Jesus fecking Christ man. Just how may "unique" grounds are there out there?? And do you honestly think that building a ground that looks like some piece of abstract art is going to benefit us? In any way? At all?? Not to mention the cost of building outside of the box. IT ISN'T GOING TO HAPPEN.

And so bleeding what if it's the same as Colchester, Swansea, Shrewsbury, blah blah blah..... SO WHAT?????? All these aforementioned grounds that you and others constantly bleat on about are are a thousand times better than the squalid mess that we currently call home.

I'm not too happy about moving to Failsworth, but I'm sick to the back teeth of the lame f*cking drivel about what it looks like and how many it's going to hold. Absolutely futile.

ENOUGH ALREADY!!!

:rant.sml:

I feel much better now......

Thanks Terry for taking the pictures and putting them up here. Just got back in before and had completely forgotten about all this going on today...a nice surprise. Think it looks ruddy great. As oafc0000 said, it's time for TTA to deliver...but if that's what we get then I for one will be pretty pleased.

There will always be some who aren't going to be happy regardless because of the location and because it's not BP full stop. However the reaction appears to have been positive. Hopefully most fans get behind it now...however sad it will be to leave BP it will be good to go somewhere like this with some positivity and enjoy what will hopefully be a good successful era for Oldham Athletic.

A long way to go, but very encouraging.

Edited by jsslatic

Admitting it is the first part of getting towards it.

See your feeling better already after getting it out.

WE SAY NO TO FAILSWORTH

HOME HAS TO FEEL LIKE HOME, NOT LIKE COLCHESTER

Home is where you lay your hat. And we don't exactly have a lot of alternatives do we??

To add my views from the consulatation, and conversations with representatives.....

Nothing yet, in terms of the design, is laid in stone. The club really do want to take in ideas from anyone willing to put forward constructive and useful ideas.

There were forms availible for comments, which people were being urged to use.

No indication was given of who might be on site in terms of commercial partners, so no idea what retail units might end up there,

Despite the Artist's Impressions, in terms of Stadium seating, Phase One is currently being considered as four discrete stands.

Commercial opportunity could add to the four stand configuration, say by putting a hotel or offices into one or more of the corners, or if more investment came, possibly more seats, but unlikely I think.

The capacity of the Phase One four sided stadium is approx 12,000.

This is going to happen. I asked various people directly what can stop this, and I am convinced, and am sure that they are too, that nothing is going to stop this now.

Alan was stopping people taking photos, There will be an update on OS, but not sure when, Alan is having scanner problems apparently!

Alan is very enthusiastic about this. Although he looked tired and in tender health, he also seemed to have that gleam in his eye and the spring in his step, if it is possible to be both!

There will be no Metrolink station. £500,000 was asked for to provide this, and that is not worth it. An alternative mooted of using the Stadium as a Park and Ride site wold take way too long to be commercially viable.

On the Main Stand (The West Stand [top pic in Diego's excellent post], so not facing Broadway, due to avoiding sun in the Main Stand's eyes), the walls with the Latics badge on, are to be done in Red Brick, despite it looking like concrete on the pictures.

The floodlights are on pylons mounted on the West and East stands, stick up like TV Aeriels.

The things above the Main Stand roof that look like air vents are supposed to be reminiscent of Mill corners.

Expansion is to be via the corners, so 12,000 for four stands plus up to about 1,000 per corner. Whilst it is possible to build on top of a stand that would be expensive.

Apparently a fancy curvy roof would be about £5Million.

No mention of anything scoreboard wise.

The Charity Commission has not definitively got back about the land situation, but the view was that even if they came back unfavourably, that would just mean the Council will have to cough up lots to sort out. This is happening.

The Failsworth Dynamos should be sorted now with an alternative site.

The allotment holders are pretty much on board, with two possible sites for improved lots and facilities in the plans, one of which looks significantly better than what they have now, to the South West corner of the plan.

The Failsworth residents appear to be showing intractible NIMBYism, and are just going to have to accept that this is going to improve the area, and is happening.

Discussions have been made with the UK's largest player in five-a-side pitches about partnership in terms of these, and about leveraging profits.

The use of the Lancaster Club, Listed building is still under discussion, but could be suitable for many a differing usage.

Mixed messages about car parking. Numbers flew around ranging from 450 to 1000, depending on who was asked. It seemed about 650 was the most realistic.

There is a gap between stands and pitch, though this is kept down to a minimum allowed by regulations, and the rake of the stands. It's all about sight lines, but the point of keeping close has been taken on board.

No sign of TTA, apparently all out of the country. I think Simon Blitz had intended to come.

Anna Kocerhan is a Cirencester Town fan, and seems genuinely keen on football. Apparently she had a proud hand in redeveloping their own ground, so maybe worth a look at her previous handiwork, (http://www.cirentownfc.com/)

Hope this helps....as far as I know all the above is pretty much factual, or what was said to me by officials rather than my personal opinion.

Edited by bpmarko

This is going to happen. I asked various people directly what can stop this, and I am convinced, and am sure that they are too, convinced that nothing is going to stop this now.

See your comment below re Charity Commission. Don't underestimate this potential problem.

Alan is very enthusiastic about this, Although he looked tired and in tender health, he also seemed to have that gleam in his eye and the spring in his step, if it is possible to be both!

Alan said he is still in pain. He's only supposed to do a few hours a day, but he was hoping to stay until 8:00pm.

The floodlight are on pylons mounted on the West and East stands, stick up like TV Aeriels.

The picture below shows the floodlight positions.

The Charity Commission has not definitively got back about the land situation, but the view was that even if they came bac unfavourably, that would just mean the Council will have to cough up lots to sort out. This is happening.

4330291403_4b5046ed17_b.jpg

Alan is very enthusiastic about this. Although he looked tired and in tender health, he also seemed to have that gleam in his eye and the spring in his step, if it is possible to be both!

That's an excellent write-up BP, thanks for that.

With regards to Alan, I understand he is working his way (perhaps more quickly than he should) back into his responsibilities, so I would say if you ever wanted to look straight into his eyes now is the time, before His Powers are fully restored. I dread having to face him in daylight hours in a couple of weeks when he will be up to full power.

This is going to happen. I asked various people directly what can stop this, and I am convinced, and am sure that they are too, convinced that nothing is going to stop this now.

See your comment below re Charity Commission. Don't underestimate this potential problem.

Alan seemed very insistent that even if the Charity Commission came back negative, that would just be the Council's problem. Maybe I misunderstood what he was saying.

Alan seemed very insistent that even if the Charity Commission came back negative, that would just be the Council's problem. Maybe I misunderstood what he was saying.

The Council's problem in respect of having misled the Club into purchasing the Lancaster Club and drawing up the proposals, but the Club's problem in that the development could not go ahead.

As for my personal opinions on the presentation and ground etc.....

The ground looks pretty standard, what do you want in a 12k stadium that's not just going to be a frivolous misuse of money.

Uniqueness seemed to be built in to the facade of the Main Stand, though the pictures provided do a very poor job of showing it.

What was way more encouraging was seeing Alan Hardy's enthusiasm, it seemed like he sees this as a personal thing, and a success, which was great to see.

Was very disappointed to not see any of the owners present, though excuse was given, sort of.

Was also a little disappointed to not see at least ine name of a commercial partner, though I know we still have to get a lot of things decided yet, but it would have been great to see, say, an M&S badge up there, or Harvester, or anything really just to show that commercially, there is keenness on the development.

I think end of Feb will be a lot more pivotal in terms of concrete plans, can't wait for that.

I thought the floodlights look a bit peculiar, was surprised they are not to be integrated into the lip of the roof.

The red-brick facade to the main stand, coupled with the modern glassy centre sounds good, and unique, and the arch topped windows to the side look good too, and in a subtle inconspicuous way. However, sorry Alan, but I think the 'Mill top corners' just look plain silly. However, if that's the worst I can come up with, I' happy.

Was nice to see a couple of faces from on here, and even put a face or two to IDs too. Having said that, I was a tad disappointed with the turnout.

Its a cross between Swansea & Colchester, same old boring bowless, souless ground. WE DONT WANT THAT, WE WANT TRADITION AND UNEEQNESS OF BOUNDARY PARK

They should get you to do the signs at the new ground. It'll certainly be 'uneeq' then.

Pretty impressed with the plans - the red brick front on the main stand's a nice touch,and it's good to see the stands are pretty close to the pitch. Still early days and i'm not getting my hopes up until they actually start building it, but i'm a bit more optimistic about it now.

As I've said above...I like the designs. I do worry however upon reflection that, as others have pointed out, we could be deceived by the corners that may or may not be there, in terms of the ground's 'uniqueness'. This is one of the plans for New BP:

4330288665_e531c6688f_b.jpg

This was the artist's impression for the new Shrewsbury ground before it was built:

2031906180a2253188957b957850033l.jpg

Like I said, I do like the designs...I just think that the horseshoe is important for us to get something a bit different...otherwise it will be pretty much exactly the same as other new model grounds but with red bricks.

I thought the floodlights look a bit peculiar, was surprised they are not to be integrated into the lip of the roof.

If built into the roof like some grounds eg Emirates, the floodlights would probably be too low (probably lower than some FA regulation height or for TV cameras to cope with) as the stands are tiny by comparison.

Edited by laticsrblue

TRADITION COCONUT TRADITION, LOOK AT THE RUBBISH AT DONCASTER AND THE VINTAGENESS OF SOMEWHERE LIKE BELLE VUE, LOOK AT THE VETCH, FILBERT STREET, NINIAN PARK, WE WANT TO KEEP BOUNDARY PARK WHILE WE CAN

1.) You don't need to shout.

2.) Have you actually seen football at any of the old grounds you list above. Ninian Park was a s***hole 15 years ago- God knows what it was like 9 months ago, I wouldn't want to watch football in a ground so blatantly falling apart that a strong wind knocks it down. The Vetch was even worse. I'm just glad that when I went to Belle Vue it was a nice sunny late summer's day, in the puring rain of spring/winter (or even the snow) I bet it was awful and the facilities were appalling. Is it a bit of co-incidence that old stadiums you like have standing areas- no newly built football stadium should have standing areas (I'm not trying to get into the safe standing v. sitting debate here) as the rules say once you get into the Championship it has to be all seated, it would be financial suicide to build any football stadium with standing areas in this country until someone changes the rules (and let's be honest the government has better things to sort out first). I was going to go to Filbert Street but the game was called off (I doubt you ever went there though)

3.) I'm bored to the back teeth of people wanting something "unique" or "vintage" or "traditional". All of those things cost money which we don't have, (if we did we'd be staying at a fancy improved BP) and IMHO "vintage" = rubbish, this is not the antiques roadshow. Everton's ground is unique, vintage, has loads of character but is crap- there are better facilites at quite a few League 1 grounds. The red brick thing makes a bit of sense as it goes someway to giving our ground a bit of character without being overly expensive- although if it goes wrong it may end up looking like the sort of thing built by Alan Titchmarsh and Charlie Dimmock.

4.) Plus I don't know what this "We" business is- YOU may want to keep Boundary Park but in its current state I certainly don't. One of the traditional things about Boundary Park is how cold it is- I don't recall Failsworth being in the tropics- it will still be cold. Tradition, what like 20 years worth- all of the stands left standing have had a refurbishment in the last 20 years- we have gone down an awful lot since then, I'm not a big fan of a tradition of falling. Yet still the facilities are naff and this is why we want to move.

If you don't like going to Failsworth then that's fine but come up with better arguments than the ones you have been doing, its in Oldham and the concept of uniqueness is just plain nonsense. For a man who is supposedly willing to travel to Edgeley Park in the middle of the day the day before a game, just to check on the state of the pitch, (which then changed), travelling a few minutes down the road (heck it might even be closer to you), can't be that much of a stretch. I'm fairly certain there are bookies willing to take your money in Failsworth.