Spread the love...

Ive noticed a lot of hatred against other teams on this board against the likes of ManU, Rangers, Leeds and teams of that ilk and much of it is in no doubt justified:)

However im always getting told by my mates that i seem to hate far too many teams and that us Oldham fans must be bitter/jealous so is there any teams out there apart from us you actually like?

As for me will always follow Chester as my 2nd team as i grew up near there and i try to get to as many games as possible, if im not watching Oldham.

I also quite like Bolton and Everton as well as i know people who support them and get to go to games with them and there fans dont tend to talk as much crap as those who follow the big 4.

As for abroad - any Italian teams really, as i grew up watching Football Italia on Channel 4 and its the only other league i have ever really followed properly, and love reading about their rivalries and football culture!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we always look out for the results of kieth in the highland scottish league

one of the lads from the pub e mailed the club and the chairman has invited us up next season to see a game as well as sending us a scarf, sounds like he has about 20 jobs round the football club.

proper grass root footy, get on the clubs website and have a look, it actually pretty decent

up the kieth

Real Madrid for my BIG team and Tenerife.

In the UK, i spose Bury as i worked their for years and they always invited us to games (Dale arent to bad either!)

MK Dons.

Villa

West Brom

Edited by razza699

The only other team whose results I follow/have a genuine affection for are the mighty Doonhamers (Queen of the South). Been following them for years. I do like to see dale doing well, but I don't personally see how you can really 'support' any teams in the english leagues other than latics. Just a personal view, each to their own though, there is usually a family/location reason for it so fair enough.

Rochdale - Born there. lived there all my life apart from a 6 month stint in Royton this season. Go two minutes round the corner from my house and I can see the floodlights. Was taken with my uncle years back in the very early 90's to the odd game and then started going alot in high school (96-'01) when we got free tickets to home games and there was a group of about 30 from my year who went (I very rarely went away games with Latics then apart from Man City and local ones - the fixture lists were very kind to me alot of the time) - seasons when they actually started to do quite well and reached the playoffs. Had some classic away days with dale. Including a 6-1 drubbing at Blackburn (dale actually equalised). Should really of been my 1st choice club as i've absolutely no affiliation to Oldham other than it was where my brother wanted to go week in, week out when my dad took him various clubs (inc. rochdale, city, united, etc) to see who he wanted to support. Joe Royle has alot to answer for as I was dragged to most of the glory days without so much of a clue as to what it was all about. :wink:

Celtic - All of my family north of the border are Celtic mad. If I didnt like them I dont think i'd have my kneecaps in tact. Most of them are in turn now have Latics as their 2nd club and always look out for our result.

Albion Rovers - When I go North of the border, we stay near to one of my aunties in Coatbridge. A horrible place which makes the worst area's of Oldham and Rochdale pleasant. There's absolutely nothing in the town apart from an Asda, A Wetherspoons and a crap football club who are marginally better than East Stirling. I've only been one handful of time's mainly because the standard is so poor and they charge an obscene amount to get in. (Similar to Latics)

Edited by Rocky_Latic

This has got me thinking, does anybody still have any contact with Eintracht? I remember them at Cardiff, and I remember them against Blackpool (both 97/98? I cant remember) At the Blackpool game, one of the lads gave me a half-Latics-half-Eintracht scarf which I am very proud of (and the main reason why I look out for them). One of the Eintracht fans also gave me some contacts in Frankfurt if we wanted to go over to see the Eagles, but I was so smashed I lost the details.

Do Latics fans still have that connection with them? I dunno...

I keep an eye out for Tonbridge Angels (local-ish to me), and Recreativo Huelva (went there a few years ag, and they stayed in our hotel before their (home, funnily enough) game wih Real Madrid the next day).

I also see how Mossley, Oldham Town and to a lesser extent Chadderton are doing.

Edited by singe

I forgot to add Carlisle to my original list too - my dads team when he was younger, if he hadnt stopped watching them in the 80s maybe he'd of taken me there instead of the Latics. Hes now a fully fleged latics fan, which means hes followed 3 teams in his life time, due to one going bust, stopping watching Carlisle, due to their demise/not living anywhere near there anymore. I think id class him more of a football fan though as hes taken in games of local teams wherever hes lived.

I understand when some people say just Latics, but didnt a lot of people go to more than one team in days gone by, i know people at work who said their dads used to watch ManU one week and City the next for example

The only other team whose results I follow/have a genuine affection for are the mighty Doonhamers (Queen of the South). Been following them for years. I do like to see dale doing well, but I don't personally see how you can really 'support' any teams in the english leagues other than latics. Just a personal view, each to their own though, there is usually a family/location reason for it so fair enough.

Ah, you know there are soo many queenies out there! :blush:

My dad is actually from Dumfries and used to go up there all the time, however, normally just a stop off on the way to see the mighty hoops... me and my dad went nuts when they got to the final of the cup though... would be simply one of he greatest days ever if they beat Rangers... would probably be there if it wasnt for the small fact that i'm getting married... the future Mrs would kill me!

Have a small affiliation to Sheff Utd from my time at Uni, and worked with the club for a couple of years... and of course a certain red team from manchester, but not gonna start that one again... :wink:

Do Latics fans still have that connection with them? I dunno...

Yeah. There was a group of them in the white hart last season before a game. Cant remember which game it was though. :unsure:

There was also a fair number of them at Stockport a few years back when we filled two stands.

Edited by Rocky_Latic