Jones, who gives a monkeys......

They totally targeted Lomax tonight...and he dealt with it alright. Solid and for a youngen, exactly what I hope him to show. Good on him. As for Jones...I said it a month ago what I think of him. Anyone telling me this lad is a LB and not a LW is talking balls IMO :grin: Just at a shame that at Cheltenham in the cup, he simply refused to play the role (got the ball and turned back endlessly) forcing Shez's hand to return him back to LB and Taylor back to LW. He insists he's a LB...others including his own clubs manager think he's a LW. So do I! Quality assists tonight.

Seen all his 4 games so far. Seen how far off he defends from players (pointed this out from day one until now.) Seen how badly he takes up positions at set-pieces...how few headers he's gone in for and won especially in back post areas. Also seen his attacking ability which is close to outstanding...apart from when he severely overhits the odd cross that is akin to some of the shots Jermaine Johnson used to take. All adds up to one thing...he is a LW.
Edited by boundaryblue80

They totally targeted Lomax tonight...and he dealt with it alright. Solid and for a youngen, exactly what I hope him to show. Good on him. As for Jones...I said it a month ago what I think of him. Anyone telling me this lad is a LB and not a LW is talking balls IMO :grin: Just at a shame that at Cheltenham in the cup, he simply refused to play the role (got the ball and turned back endlessly) forcing Shez's hand to return him back to LB and Taylor back to LW. He insists he's a LB...others including his own clubs manager think he's a LW. So do I! Quality assists tonight.

The quality of his attacking play would make me wonder how on earth he isn't a regular for a team like Sunderland or Hull - but it's explained above. He refuses to attack from LW and refuses to defend from LB. These are serious issues, and explain why he's been at Northampton and Oldham. Another one who just needs a screw knocking into place.

I dont like to have a go at individual players but I think Lomax has been poor over the last few games.He`s stood out for me as the weak link(except for the Cup Replay where there were quite a few poor performances).

IMO Eardley should be back in there at RB,though I can also appreciate why some would not want to change a winning team.

Crucial interceptions, good positioning.

Im not one of Lomax's biggest fans but i thought he did ok today, i dont know about 'shocking'... He'd be 1st choice right back for quite a few teams in this league if it wasn't for Eardley being in our squad. He's got to work on his attacking play, the modern full back has got to have the confidence to overlap.

TBH, the rest of my post from Oct 27th suggested Jones either at LW or on the bench with Lomax at LB. That was back then...Jones will have to do at LB now. But he ain't one overall IMO. I agree that at present, you can't move Taylor from LW. He's worked out how to play it to his best ability. That wing is working in attack. A bit suspect at times in defence, but that's the balancing act we have to find the fine line on.

As for the Lomax bashing tonight, totally OTT. But if it's a case of putting Eardley in for a few wks, till he gets his usual ridiculous dose, then Lomax back in, then Eards back in, then Lomax back in................ya get the gist!

Only defensive change after tonight would be Hazell back in for Greegs (who was better tonight than for a while, but the shirts at CB are now Stams and Hazells IMO.) The others stay where they are.

Edited by boundaryblue80

For the second goal, it started with a brilliant pass from Allott, then a great cross and a clinical finish from Hughes. Jones' cross for the winning goal, while running at speed and being challenged, was stunning, and Hughes' flick of the ball into the net off the outside of his right foot was sheer class.

Still no celebration dance from Hughes again, as he seems to want to be seen to be cutting out all the 'frivoilities' from his game. After the winner he ran up the Main Stand touchline and shook hands with Tommy.

How many times did Lomax have to deal with their winger? I don't think he got one decent cross in all night. Kelvin had as good a game as the majority. His passing was suspect but you couldn't fault his defending.

There's a lot in Lomax still with potential but it's now time for him to show that. His delivery of the ball into the box is poor, he seems to be on his heels a bit and his crosses are theregfore lofted too often. And he does need to push on more , especially when Lidds is on the right. If he doesn't the opposition know that there's no threat of pace down the right hand side.

Coachable , but he's got the responsibility to work at these facets himse;f.

Bit of a mixed bag from Lomax, some good stuff, some hoofs and some getting skinned. That sub they brought on near the end would have given any full back trouble, his first touch was worthy of a higher league, with his first touch he just moved Lomax out of position but credit to the lad he stayed with him and kept him at bay.

Doesn't link up with Lids as well as Eardley but this could be due to Eards and Lids playing more games together and having more of an understanding. To have Lomax at the club as a choice at full back on either flank must be great for Shez.

Defensively, lomax was fine last night. As for Jones, to be pushed into LM.......he has created 2 goals from great crosses, because he runs from deep(and being a tad quicker than their marker :D , not being picked up initially - do you get this freedom as a winger - not usually imo. If you want him to play on the wing, is that because you believe he will set 3 or 4 goals up every game, rather than JUST 2 from full back!! Get real!!

A cracking full back performance from a full back, who linked superbly with his winger/midfield and set 2 goals up - i think that's enough! :applause1:

Doesn't link up with Lids as well as Eardley but this could be due to Eards and Lids playing more games together and having more of an understanding. To have Lomax at the club as a choice at full back on either flank must be great for Shez.

I think Eardley's more of a danger going forward. But Lomax is a lot cooler under pressure. Normally he doesn't waste the ball, and usually makes it to a blue shirt but last night his distribution was as poor as I've ever seen it. Then again, must have been hard for him due to the lack of movement in midfield.

I think Eardley's more of a danger going forward. But Lomax is a lot cooler under pressure. Normally he doesn't waste the ball, and usually makes it to a blue shirt but last night his distribution was as poor as I've ever seen it. Then again, must have been hard for him due to the lack of movement in midfield.

Lomax's distribution (or passing as i like to call it) was awful last, and as someone said earlier, if it had been Eardley who played like Lomax last night, well; he'd have been crucified on sheepfoot lane.

Eardley gets absolutely ruined for far less than lomax did last night, Kelvin gets the benifit from most. Strange.

Lomax had a better last15 mins, where he put in a couple of blocks / interceptions but apart from that was our worst player out there. He should be on the bench for Brighton, irregardless of 'never changing a winning team' - that's his 4th or 5th poor prformance; and his PASSING has gone down hill fast. Eardley back to RB please Shez.